Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Perimenopause - hrt not over-riding own periods  (Read 2322 times)

CherryC

Perimenopause - hrt not over-riding own periods
« on: April 12, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »

Hi, anyone still having their own periods and taking bioidentical hormones?  I have been taking 2 pumps oestrogel daily and 100g utrogestan (for 10 days at beginning of each month) for the last 6 months but my periods are still starting either after a couple of days of taking the utrogestan or even before started taking them.  I understood period was meant to regulate to a couple of days after stopping the utrogestan (around day 12 of the month). Before starting treatment, periods were every 3 weeks and this is still happening.  Anyone any experience/help on this matter. Could I be taking too much or too little. Thanks.

honeybun

Re: Perimenopause - hrt not over-riding own periods
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »

When I took Utrogestan it was for the latter part of the month. Two weeks oestrogen alone then adding in the Utrogestan for the final two weeks.
I didn't have any natural cycle I don't think as my periods had stopped for a few months before I started HRT.
Is this the way you were prescribed utrogestan ?
In peri especially if you were still having periods then they do break through.

Honeybun
X

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »

I still have fairly regular periods, although much lighter.

I have been prescribed Estradot 25mg patch for continuous wear, with 200mg of Utrogestan to take on days 15-26 of my cycle. I understand I should then have a breakthrough bleed on roughly days 26-28?

I started to wear the patch a few days ago, and took one dose of Utrogestan last night but I was already mid cycle when I put the patch on. So have decided to stop for now and wait until my next period starts so I can get a full 2 weeks of oestrogen before taking any progesterone.

Honeybun - can I ask how you got on with your Utrogestan?

CherryC

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 05:50:10 PM »

Hi Honeybun, thanks for reply. Yes that is how I have been taking it, Oestrogel only and then add in the Utrogestan for the latter part of the monthly cycle - 10 days). Would just like it if period would extend to every 4 weeks rather than 3 and regulate to arriving at the end of the Utrogestan 10 days. Sounds like it might be quite normal then to have break through before then as I was still having my periods when I started on the treatment.

CherryC

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »

GypseeRoseee, will be interested to hear how you get on with the patch.  I have been using the gel.  Don't mind it too much but it's a bit of a pain waiting for it to dry, and I wonder sometimes if it is getting absorbed properly (using it on inner thighs).  Look forward to hearing how you get on..

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:06:23 PM »

Hello Cherry

I will keep you posted. Hopefully with good news  :)