Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: New to all this  (Read 2502 times)

janb

New to all this
« on: April 08, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »

Hello my name is Jan and I'm nearly 52.
Just got back from GP where I was told HRT is not viable cos of risk factors, mum died of stroke maternal Gma breast cancer.
And my blood pressure is sky high No surprises there.
Feel a bit confused and just need some feedback.
How do we get thru this Menopause???? :'(

Dancinggirl

Re: New to all this
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM jamb
When HRT is not an option it can be tough.  Concentrating on lifestyle e.g. diet, exercise and some vitamin supplements is a good start - there is some excellent advice on this site so do soak up all the info. 
If you are finding the flushes and night sweats are difficult to cope with then an SRRI like Citalopram can be effective and could be worth trying. Getting your blood pressure under control may also help.
If you have problems with vaginal dryness or atrophy then you would still be able to have some local oestrogen as very little is absorbed systemically.
Do tell us about the meno symptoms that you struggle with most.  Dg x

janb

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 03:58:35 PM »

Hi Dg.  It's good to hear from you.
I am having a rough time with Insomnia and Anxiety at the moment.
Have been on SSRI meds for years - long term problem and have been well.
I have been knocked off my feet by this latest blip.  It all seems to be related to periods - which then don't happen.
Am using my CBT techniques too, but when you can't sleep.......
This forum has helped me to feel I'm not the only one.
 Thanks xxx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 05:47:44 PM »

Lack of sleep is my main meno problem and though I am on HRT and it helps me sleep a bit better I have other things that keep me awake - at the moment my upper back is very painful and I can't take nsaids like aspirin because I've had a stomach ulcer - I find paracetamol doesn't really do anything so I'm really tired at the moment.
I'm afraid HRT doesn't always help with anxiety or sleep. I do take Nytol occasionally to give myself a better night.
You are obviously still peri menopausal and the fluctuations in hormones can bring horrible mood swings etc.
Some women find that fish oils and evening primrose can stabilise things a bit - it's a good idea to take Omega oils anyway unless you eat plenty of oily fish every week.
You are certainly not alone.  Keep posting.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 05:55:37 PM »

Hi janb.

Your GP seems to have made some sweeping generalisations re HRT. If you have only a grandmother who suffered breast cancer (was it oestrogen receptive do you know) then this is no reason for you not to use HRT as you need to have two close female members i.e. mum and sister who have had oestrogen receptive breast cancer. Sorry to hear about your mum but as regards her stroke then you should be offered a clotting factor test and, again, this is not a reason for you not to have HRT yourself. The advice from The Blood Pressure Association is that if you have high blood pressure you can use HRT but your blood pressure needs to be checked every few months http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Yourbody/Menopause  Are you on medication for your high blood pressure?

Lots of us have had to query our GP's decision and by careful unpicking of all of the facts we've found that HRT is often ok for us after all. You can bear this in mind should other things not help.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »

Hello janb and welcome to the forum.

As an HRT user I can't really advise you of alternatives but the ladies on this site have a wealth of experience so help is always at hand.

Menopause is not such a lonely journey when you have other women to talk to and who understand.

Wishing you well and keep posting.

K.

janb

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 07:16:07 AM »

Oh ladies thanks for your posts.

Am lying in bed after another rubbish sleep.
It's so good to know i
I'm not alone in this situation.

I do take bp meds an have another appt in 2 weeks to see what is happening with my bp
I am worrying a lot about everything at the moment which won't be helping it.
Seem to be losing my confidence, everything is bgoing to turn out bad before i start it.
We are off to London tomorrow to celebrate our daughter's 18th birthday.  Cant tell you wharhat the thought of the journey etc. is doing to my mind.......
Never thought I would feel like this  :-\

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 11:39:02 AM »

Hello again janb.

I just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel about travelling to London tomorrow. These things can be so daunting when you are struggling with menopause problems.

I hope you feel better and manage to enjoy your daughter's celebration.

Take care and keep posting.

K.

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 12:41:02 PM »

Hi Janb

Taz has covered all the problems in many docs attitude to HRT very well.

As long as your treated for BP issue then there is no reason for not being able to have HRT.

Also you mention AD's, a common side effect in AD's use is BP changes.
Not saying you should stop AD but this can sometimes be part of the BP issue cause.

Some can lower your BP too and when stopped the BP get's higher.

Either way pursue the HRT and don't take no for an answer if thats not what you want.

All the best with your trip.

:-*