Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anti Depression medication?  (Read 4528 times)

Lynjane

Anti Depression medication?
« on: April 08, 2015, 11:13:21 PM »

Is this commonly used to treat peri/menopausal symptoms??

GeordieGirl

Re: Anti Depression medication?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »

I have a number of friends who've been given ADs simply because their doctors really are pretty clueless as to the symptoms of the menopause. I've seen 3 different doctors at my surgery and none has any idea, even though two are women and one a gynae doc. It's quite shocking really... One friend has been sent for test after test for what are simply menopause symptoms - her doctor has treated each symptom as something separate and hasn't realised they're all part and parcel of the same issue. 18 months down the line she's actually realised herself what links them.

Some people may needs ADs but I would suspect there are a wide number who simply need the right hormones.

Call me a cynic.

GG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:57 AM »

The SSRI type anti-depressants are now often prescribed in low doses to combat hot flushes. It's a recognised treatment and can work well if hot flushes and sweats are your only menopausal symptoms. http://www.patient.co.uk/health/menopause-alternatives-to-hrt  I attended a menopause clinic for a couple of years and anti-depressants were on their list of prescribed treatments for menopause. Handy if you either don't want to use HRT or can't due to underlying medical conditions.

Taz x  :)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »

I saw 2 female GPs at my surgery because I suddenly started suffering with inexplicable anxiety and random insomnia. My periods had suddenly become much lighter and closer together too.

Neither female GP ever once mentioned peri menopause to me, or hormonal related depression/anxiety. This is despite me being in my mid 40s, with a clearly documented medical history of PMS and severe PND. Both fobbed me off with ADs. I tried them for several months but disliked how they zoned me out, made me gain weight AND my 'symptoms' kept reappearing on a regular basis  :-\

In the end it was the middle aged male GP at my surgery who made the connection and actually 'listened' to me. He referred me to a menopause clinic and the consultant there immediately diagnosed me with hormonal related anxiety/depression based purely on my symptoms and medical history. She dismissed the results of my blood tests because the blood tests are notoriously unreliable. In peri menopause your hormone levels fluctuate ALL THE TIME, which is why you suffer, and is why a blood test on even 3 separate days is meaningless.

My consultant also said she was very concerned at the amount of peri menopausal women getting fobbed off with ADs by uninformed GPs when what they really need is hormones. ADs are very powerful, mind altering drugs that are NOT the first line of treatment for hormonal anxiety/depression.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 12:08:41 PM »

:thankyou: …… an opportunity for the Consultant to run a few Menopause Clinics for GPs in the area then?

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:38:09 PM »

I definitely think that GPs should be more informed about the symptoms of peri menopause and not just treat it with blanket ADs.

rebelyell

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:00:11 PM »

I know there are women out there [and on here!] who have very good stories to tell about ADs, but I am not one of them.   I had very bad panic attacks and anxiety last year and started taking citalopram in December.   I hated they way they flattened me, caused diarrhea and generally made me feel a bit yuk.  Granted, they did get rid of the hot flushes, but I still got anxious and was incredibly tired all the time.

Withdrawal is pretty gruesome aswell - I am now nearly weaned off.  Anxiety is same, no panic attacks to speak of [I think I can control them in my mind better now] but at least feel able to be happy - albiet not very often yet!

I don't think they are the answer, I suspect they are just cheap!  My GP appeared to have no idea about the side effects, which led me down the dangerous path to Dr Google...    I think he is to blame for all my health anxiety...

Which is perhaps why I should stop looking on here!!

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 04:08:39 PM »

When I was prescribed ADs there was no mention of withdrawal symptoms.

I only took one and felt really ill so that was that.

What kind of withdrawel symptoms did you have rebelyell, and why on earth are they not mentioned at the start.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »

Sometimes anti depressants are given at the same time as HRT. I did find that HRT cured my hot sweats and joint aches and pains, insomnia and brain fog really quickly but didn't do anything for my anxiety.

Taz x

GeordieGirl

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 04:17:47 PM »

My consultant also said she was very concerned at the amount of peri menopausal women getting fobbed off with ADs by uninformed GPs when what they really need is hormones. ADs are very powerful, mind altering drugs that are NOT the first line of treatment for hormonal anxiety/depression.

Hallelujah!  Now can she educate her contemporaries please? I can suggest a surgery to begin with....

GG x

rosebud57

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 04:29:24 PM »

Just goes to show that there is no 'one size fits all' with meds of any kind.

For me, someone who has never taken HRT and never wanted to, the six months I took ADs just about saved my life.

If it's a choice of taking HRT for years, or a short period on ADs, it's ADs everytime for me.

But I'm someone who hates the idea of taking medication anyway.  Everything has side effects and sometimes it can be something you are not even aware of.  That's even more scary.

Taz2

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 04:42:29 PM »

Well put rosebud.

I just feel that we are in danger of feeling "fobbed off" when offered anti depressants but for some women, who may only have hot sweats as a symptom they want help with, they work really well. The dosage is different than that given for depression so the initial side effects are often much less noticeable.

We are all different but what's important is the knowledge we can all gain from the posts and information on this site so that we can ask for what we know we need.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 04:44:43 PM »

Some ADs do not need a weaning off period …….. I found that 3-4 months was never enough and have to take them for Life. 

Essexragdoll

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »

I too take an AD ( fluoxetine) and feel so much better for it. I tried HRT for a couple of months because of suffering from dreadful anxiety and bad night sweats. My night sweats completely dissapeared but I felt awful. I was dizzy, sick, had dreadful headaches and heavy periods, and my anxiety remained with me constantly,so decided that HRT was probably not for me. I went back to my GP and she recommend a low dose AD. I am 5 weeks in, and apart from the first couple of weeks of pretty bad side effects, including worse anxiety, I now feel so much better. I am almost back to my normal self. I still have the aches and pains and flushes during the day, but the night sweats have decreased dramatically, the anxiety is gone and my mind feels a lot less foggy.
I know they are not for everyone, and they certainly were not my first option, but I am so glad I gave them a go. I hope not to be on them for ever, but they are my "cushion " during this tough journey.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 08:14:35 PM »

'cushion' is a good expression  :) ……… don't be in too much of a hurry to stop them if you find they ease symptoms, they give you a change to see the wood for the trees …...