Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Face pain!  (Read 4298 times)

HorsesHorses

Face pain!
« on: April 07, 2015, 04:00:53 PM »

Hello all,
Still waiting for results from various tests and as always, am noticing new and strange symptoms while I wait. Latest one is face pain! It's mainly just in front of my ears and feels worse when I bend forward. I don't have any mucus or ear ache or other sinus goings on, just an achy throbby pain on the bony bit in front of my ears. Has anyone else had this. (am not currently on any meds or hrt as doc waiting for latest results before starting). Did wonder if it's something to do with the fact I've noticed I'm jaw clenching involuntarily sometimes at night. (no doubt due to the stress of all these symptoms!)
Hope you lovely ladies may have some ideas for me.
Thanks in advance.

babyjane

Re: Face pain!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 04:27:15 PM »

Hello horses, that sounds like TMJ pain to me.  That is your jaw joint and there is a large muscle in front of your ear that goes down your neck.  If there is tension like when you clench or grind your teeth the muscle can tense or go into spasm.  My dentist sent me to the maxillo facial clinic about this and I had a mouth guard made for when I was asleep and physio exercises to relax the spasms in the jaw muscle.

It's a horrid, heavy dull achy pain and can affect eating and talking.  Mine flares up when our daughter has been here for the weekend with all the chatting we do, and also if I eat food that involves a lot of chewing.

rosebud57

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:35:15 PM »

I had this on and off for years.  Three trips to the Doc and no diagnosis.  However after the last one the Doc did say to go back for tests if it did not clear up.  Luckily that was my last episode (about 4 years ago). 

I was sometimes so bad I would have to get up at night, and sleep half sitting up on the sofa, because I could not bare to lay on that side of my face (right side).  I think is was TMJ and it would flare up when I was under stress.  The last time was when I left work and the dog was very ill and died, all in the space of a few months.

Touch wood have had no repeat, so must me more chilled. :-\ :-\

I do think 'mindfulness' meditation has helped though.

HorsesHorses

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 04:23:55 PM »

Ah yes that sounds about right then. Can I ask how much (ish) the mouthguards cost when made by the dentist? I'm defo tense and stressed at times and think I should give it a go.
Thanks for uyou replies.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:07:04 PM »

Mine cost £60 and unfortunately I bit through it after about three months.

The exercises from the physio were very helpful though and I still use them.

rosebud57

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »

You can buy cheaper ones in Boots.  They are a bit like the rugby gum shields in that you have to put it in hot water first, to mould it to you jaw shape.

Not sure it they are any good, but it might be worth a look.

Peterspots

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 06:25:42 PM »

Babyjane what exercises did you do?

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 07:32:48 PM »

When I get that face pain I use an anti inflamitory gel for a few days and it really helps.

One of our former members ...Trey....spoke about the position of the tongue in the mouth. It should rest lightly behind the top teeth and not the bottom.
Making a real effort to do that has helped me a lot.

Honeybun
X