Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: jewelery making  (Read 6762 times)

kerrieann

jewelery making
« on: April 06, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »

does anyone do jewelery making ?  i have just ordered myself a starter kit, something to keep my mind busy  :)
never tried it before, but have been looking for nice chunky beads and things that are a bit different, so i thought i would have a go and make some myself, just wondered if anyone had any experience   kerrie

honeybun

Re: jewelery making
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 10:05:09 PM »

My daughter used to do it. She got some good books from the library.   

Good way of occupying the mind.

Enjoy

Honeybun
X

Annie0710

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 10:25:39 PM »

My friend does it, and finds it very therapeutic, she also makes beautiful bouquets but isn't confident to advertise.  She suffers from thyroid problems and doesn't work so this really helps her

I like doing nails (when I'm in the mood) and will have a play around for hours
Xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 07:29:44 AM »

Hand crafting of any kind is really good - I'm doing some patchwork at the moment - I've just finished a simple cushion cover and I'm really pleased with it. I've always fancied doing jewellery but I only wear earings so feel it wouldn't be worth it - I sometimes make teddy bears but like making things for the home
Let us know how you get on kerrieann.  DG x

purplenanny

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 07:37:41 AM »

I make jewellery and other crafts. I have sold at regular craft fairs and the local WI market. Stopped when hubby was ill 3 years ago but trying to pick it up again. Still got my craft roomand gear.
Very relaxing.
Not sure about the selling....I do get very anxious
Good luck. ..you will love it!

thorntrees

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 08:05:31 AM »

Hope you get on well with your new hobby Kerriann. Just wanted to say don't forget to look in charity shops for beads etc. In the charity shop I work in we often break up jewellery that we know we can't sell and sell the beads and bits and bobs separately for craft work. Same applies to material, wool, buttons etc for all sorts of crafts. We have customers who come in regularly to root through our boxes of oddments.

Good luck with it
Thorntrees.

kerrieann

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 09:02:22 AM »

thanks for all the replies ladies, eargerly awaiting the post now so i can have a go, will let you know how i get on  :)

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:06:13 AM »

DG. Can I ask what patchwork you started with. I have always fancied doing that but have not got a clue where to even begin. I'm reasonably handy with a needle and thread and also a seeing machine.

Honeyb
x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 02:07:31 PM »

Hi honeybun
I usually make simple random square patchwork cushions or bedspreads - so just use a variety of similar remnants I've collected and sew them together on the sewing machine - use thin wadding and some sheeting for the back and do some basic hand stitching through all layers to hold it all together - so really simple as they would have done in the past. The beautiful american style patchwork with pictures and complicated  designs doesn't really appeal to me.  I do like doing hexagon patch work by hand though - this can be very effective.  I think ti's important to choose certain colour combinations and fabrics of a similar thickness.
There are some good websites that sell patchwork stuff and there are good courses you can do.  DG x
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 04:49:33 PM by Dancinggirl »

tiger74

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »

I've been making jewellery for a few months now - I love it.  I started with a basic kit and have added bits and bobs as I have gone along.  I find it totally absorbing and hence very relaxing.  I am sure that having a new absorbing hobby to concentrate on really helped me back in January which was a difficult month due to the sudden illness and death of my very elderly grandmother.

bramble

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »

I would love to make one of those American quilts. Got no sewing machine though and never sewed even if I did do tapestry and crewel embroidery. Not even sure if my eyes would cope with the close up work now. One can but dream!
Bramble