Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Pension changes  (Read 7436 times)

babyjane

Pension changes
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »

Is anyone going to/able to take advantage of the new pension rules that start today?

We both have a  small pension each as well as my husband's main pension.

We are planning to cash the 2 small ones but not today  ::)

rosebud57

Re: Pension changes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »

Yes, my husband is getting a 'final salary' pension, from his old firm, but his also has a fund from AVCs which he is going to cash in. 

This pot is too small to pay much as a anualty so the cash would make more re-invested, despite having to pay tax on part of it.

lancashirelass

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »

Strongly advise you take advice.from an independent financial adviser before.making decisions.  This route.may.not.be.the best thing for everyone. 

Cazikins

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 07:06:11 PM »

I'm totally confused by it all to be honest.
I have 2 frozen pensions (1 about 6 years ago, the other about 15years ago). I get statements every year & no bonuses have been added to the pot for years now.
I don't know weather to cash them in or leave them as they are  :-\ :-\

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:15:34 AM »

we are cashing our 2 small ones because the pension they offer would not be any help to us as anuities.  I think mine offers an annuity of £68 a year, something silly like that but as a lump sum it will help me care for my dog into old age (his not mine).

Husband's will fund us until he gets his main pension in 2 years time.

It is certainly a personal choice and husband found the impartial advice given by Pensionwise and his IFA very helpful in making the decision.

dazned

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:46:52 AM »

I will be cashing in 2 small ones they would only get me a silly annuity of about £10 a month but the cash sum will be good  ;)

I have another which is a final salary one which is good. My dh is younger than me so God willing there shouldn't be an issue with Money and his pension is a very good final salary one. As I say God willing .

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 05:03:52 PM »

If the pension pot is going to give a sum of money that pays some regular bills etc - it is often worth keeping as a pension.  The importance of sustained income to cover living costs (and hopefully some extra) should not be under-estimated (and especially if you are dependent on a partner and they die before you), however tempting it might be to take a lump sum - but of course I realise this depends on our individual circumstances.

Hurdity x
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:26:26 AM by Hurdity »

Winterose

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 07:38:16 AM »

If you do take money out of small pensions then drip feed it into an ISA where the interest it makes will be tax free - do get some advice its a minefield,

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 06:39:40 PM »

My husband and I found a good financial adviser and had a complete review of our pension situation about 2 years ago.  It was really good, quite reassuring and we were surprised that things were better than we had expected.  We have both been self employed most of the our working lives and we did pensions at various stages when we could afford it.  My main pension has been dormant for many years but has still grown.  I recently joined the company pension where I work now, doing part time casual work, as the pension was such good scheme.  We hope to leave the money in the pensions for as long as possible and possibly do 'draw down' as and when we need it. I would strongly recommend getting professional advice - gone are the days when financial advisers were commission based, though I would be wary of advise from any bank - the one we found on recommendation from others, charges a fee when action is needed so we've not paid out anything so far as she felt our savings were fine as they are for now. We will seek her advice before doing anything.
Like so many things in life, talk to maybe 3 different advisers that people have recommended to you and see which one you like and trust. It is a minefield out there and I think there will be many people who will get conned or do the wrong thing. DG x

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 09:15:03 AM »

I agree dancinggirl.  We are in the fortunate position that brother in law is an IFA and we trust his advice and he has no hidden agendas. Husband also spoke to pensionwise and the FA attached to his provider.  As for me I did not bother as my 'pot' has less than £3,000 in it so I am just taking it all out to help offset vet bills as my dog ages.  The peace of mind is worth it as he is my responsibility, not my husband's.