Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Not much success cutting patch into quarters!  (Read 8465 times)

Sunnydays

Not much success cutting patch into quarters!
« on: April 04, 2015, 09:28:07 AM »

Any tips on cutting patches in half/quarters? Sounds silly but I'm struggling with the Fem Seven. It;s got such a rigid backing and a weird shape that I end up with lots of pieces and my finger prints all over the bits that's supposed to stick to you! Any techniques gratefully received.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Not much success cutting patch into quarters!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 03:51:29 PM »

Don't cut it.  Go back to your GP and ask for something else    :-\.  These medications are a measured dose.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »

Hi Sunnydays - Not sure why you are cutting it into quarters as that is such a minute amount of oestrogen?? However I know many women successfully cut some of these larger patches into halves - if it's anything like Estradot there is a backing film and two overlapping bits which you peel off one by one.

When I've cut this in the past, I've made sure I cut it lengthways - at least so that each piece still has the two outer bits which you can peel off the same as you would with a whole patch if you see what I mean??

Hurdity x

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 08:52:05 PM »

I sought advice from the British menopause society and they said I could cut it in quarter and because it is  a matrix patch (which is what they are nowadays) it still gives an even dose. To be honest though I am feeling terrible and my head feels as bad as when on full patch :((

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 07:52:22 AM »

The headache may not be anything to do with hormones but I think doing a quarter of a patch is probably a bit pointless - I'd try half a patch and see how you feel.  It will still take about 2-4 weeks to settle before you know whether you are getting benefit anyway.
Your headache could be through tension - you seem very anxious.  I've had awful tension lately because I've had pain from a stomach ulcer and I'm tensing at night. Perhaps do some relaxation exercises, get out in the fresh air for a walk - do some steaming as well in case the sinuses are playing up. I find if I'm not sleeping well then this can give headaches.
Also, if you are using a patch with a synthetic progesterone then this can cause problems - I think you are using a conti patch? You may need to try something like Utrogestan alongside oestrogen patch or gel DG x

Sunnydays

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 11:44:54 AM »

You're quite right DG, i've catapulted myself onto the anxiety loop and it's hard to jump off! Support from you ladies helps, and a 30 minute yoga session this morning helped!
I'm inclined to agree with you that a quarter patch might be a bit pointless; it was just to get a starting point as a full dose medium strength was too much. I want to increase to half a patch but my only concern is that if a quarter dose is making me feel completely out of sorts and my head hurt, half a dose would be worse and not far off the full patch negative effect.
I think I'll end up doing similar to you and other ladies eventually - the utrogestan and a patch. The thing is, without hrt I'm very fortunate to not suffer too much hence thinking a v low dose would help.
Thanks again for everyone's support :)) and happy Easter x

Limpy

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »

I'm inclined to agree with you that a quarter patch might be a bit pointless; it was just to get a starting point as a full dose medium strength was too much.

Have you already tried a full patch?
I'me confused, you say you want to get a starting point  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 01:27:21 PM »

Can I ask why you are taking HRT if you are not suffering much. I would stop mine like a shot if I could cope and just make sure I had a good diet, excercise and vitamin supplements if required. I would use Vagifem to keep things healthy but that would be it.

I use half a patch at the moment but it's evorel and they are much bigger so easier to cut down to even a quarter.

Honeybun
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »

Sunndays - I think honeybun is right, if you are not getting bad meno symptoms why are persevering with HRT?
How old are you? Are you still early in your peri meno phase? What symptoms are you trying to help with HRt?
If you are experiencing a premature meno then HRt is a good idea. However if you really think your headaches are related to HRT then the HRT combined patches may not be the best option because they are synthetic progesterone.  I did find in my early peri meno phase that using too much oestrogen made me slightly headachy and when I was put of Oestrogel - just one pump per day - this solved that problem. You might be better using Oestrogel as you can control the amount you use so much better. 
If you are using the conti patch (if you are post meno) then using a sequi HRt might be better so you can judge whether it's the progesterone that is giving the headaches. You might be better on Femoston pills as the progesterone is kinder and there is an ultra low dose?  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 02:52:14 PM »

Perhaps jot down a list of symptoms and put them in order of how much they affect you and let us know?  Sadly getting HRT 'right' is Trial and Error  :(

Sunnydays

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »

Thanks for being so supportive ladies, and patient!

I'm 52 and a bit, no period for at least 20 months. Before periods stopped, they were regular every 25 days but with tremdous headaches/migraines just before periods for the last few years.
I tried fem seven medium dose continuous patch in January but the headaches were so severe I stopped for 6 weeks - after two weeks of 'cold turkey' I felt fantastic - best I've felt for years! Some hormone or other was still in my system and doing me the world of good!! But which one?  Then it slowly ebbed away....

I'm very aware of how fortunate I've been with meno symptoms compared to many of you so why did I want to try it?
Main reason was extreme tiredness (not thyroid, that had been checked) I didn't know if I could continue my job. I teach (part time) so I tend to go by school terms,  up to October half term I was feeling fantastic, then wham! I felt tired and just 'awful' I can't explain it more than that.
Dryness down below  -  sex the past 2 years it has been very painful. Tried  vagifem and it made it too 'plumped up' down there!. Overstin is ok but gives a bit of an odour after a while....
Skin - prone to ezcema and felt like my skin breaking down and would it last the rest of my life
Cholesterol - keeps increasing despite good diet and exercise
Lightheadedness - constantly feeling slightly lightheaded
Sweats - I had awful night sweats, almost constantly but these have reduced, so have the hot flushes; they tend to be more cyclical now

I'm good weight for height, exercise diet etc all good. The extreme stresses in my life previously have reduced lately. I take Menopace.

I found when I first took fem seven (full patch and  the quarter) that I felt really really irritable, like just before a period...

So my main reason was tiredness and feeling awful, dryness, skin, light headed, sweats. Am I just trying to have my cake and eat it?
Thanks for listening x

Sunnydays

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 05:11:54 PM »

How could I forget the other most important reason for wanting to try hrt?!! Lack of sleep. Terrible insomnia and just like the chicken and the egg, I don't know if I slept well if my tiredness and groggy feelings in the day would never have happened.......!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 09:15:29 PM »

Sunnydays - It sounds to me that you are reacting badly to the progesterone in this patch. If I was you I'd try a sequi HRT like Femoston which has the kinder progesterone.  Many of us stick to a sequi regime and put up with a monthly withdrawal bleed so there is less progesterone used. The sequi HRT is a way you can tell whether the oestrogen only bit of the regime is being helpful and whether the progesterone is giving you problems.  Many women on this site have reported that they feel really good the progesterone part of Femoston.
I'm not sure why feeling plumped up with using Vagifem is a problem - this is what oestrogen is meant to do and should make things better!!!!  I have found for many years that, even with HRT, I need to use lots of extra lubrication for sex to prevent splitting etc. The odour of our intimate area does tend to change with the meno I'm afraid.
You are young yet and I think you need to try something else - it is trial and error before many of us find the right HRT that suits us. DG x