Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: HRT - Questions  (Read 1798 times)

Tangerinedreams

HRT - Questions
« on: April 02, 2015, 06:21:02 PM »

Hi everyone, so I have almost got to the end of my first pack of Prempack C - low dose and I am still feeling good.  I had a few cramps, but nothing painfull.  No signs of any period yet, I understand this will happen when I start on the next pack of tablets.  After researching Premarin I see it has been around for over 70 years! I can't help feeling I want to be taking the best medication there is, something newly developed, but I guess if its working well for me there is no need to change?

So if I stay on this until I am 50 what will happen to my periods? Will they just suddenly stop even if I am still taking the Prempak C?

dazned

Re: HRT - Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 06:40:37 PM »

:welcomemm:

Hi there are more kinder hrt out there than prempak however if it suits you stick with it,some poeple do fine on it.
As for how long it's been around ,if it ain't broke ...... ;)

Dancinggirl

Re: HRT - Questions
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 06:53:30 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Tangerinedreams
Though you have started HRT your progress through the peri stage of menopause will continue in the background so you won't know when you actually cease to have enough hormones to produce a natural period and you go into post meno.  If you didn't take HRT your periods are likely to become erratic, either heavier or lighter and with longer gaps between before stopping completely - so your hormones will fluctuate which is often the cause of so many challenging symptoms.  This can take several years.  The average to arrive at post meno is between 51-53.  Sometimes it is in post meno that symptoms really emerge and cause problems. When you are on a sequential HRT, the monthly bleed is not a period, it is simply a withdrawal bleed that sheds the womb lining to protect it from building up - many of us choose to stick with the sequi regime well beyond post meno. You won't have to stop HRT at 50 as the recommendations have changed, though most GPs are not up to speed about this.  Any risks are very small until the age of 60 and the benefits will often outweigh any risks beyond 60.
If Prempak is suiting you then continue. Newer HRT types do contain more natural hormones so you can possibly try these later if you wish.  Femoston is very popular now.
Read up all the info on this site to get really clued up and get back to us with questions.  Dg x