Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Anxiety - an Observation  (Read 21418 times)

Greenfields

Re: Anxiety - an Observation
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2015, 01:01:01 PM »

Just wanted to add that I really appreciate this thread.  In my late twenties and early thirties I suffered from panic attacks - I used to get hot and dizzy, think I was going mad and usually had to run to the loo.  Although I was drained once the attack passed, I sort of understood physically why they were happening (I was very stressed at the time and I read up about the adrenaline fight or flight response which helped me understand what was happening to me). I also completely cut out coffee, took up more exercise and tried to get more stable work (still working on that last one!).

However the recent menopausal panic attack I had that railroaded my plans to move back to Canada was so totally completely different that I didn't recognise it as a panic attack.  It happened first thing in the morning - I woke up in a state of absolute utter terror with every fibre of my being feeling like I could not go through with moving back to Canada.  It was an utterly bizarre experience.  And as soon as I changed my plans it went.

Then the anxiety came back - especially when the shock of what I had done hit me.  But since I've been on HRT (Day 17/18 now) I noticed that I have days where I'm shaky inside and days where I have no anxiety and feel completely competent. It's so totally weird to experience.

I'm wondering whether anything has been written up about menopausal anxiety in terms of how it occurs at a physical level?  I notice that some people mention the impact of cortisol - I'm wondering whether if one wakes up with a high level of cortisol that this then somehow causes anxiety to occur?  I would love to read up on this area - it would be so helpful to have an understanding of what is happening to me physically so that I can explain it to myself when I'm feeling rotten.

dazned

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2015, 02:01:12 PM »

Cortisol is at it peak early mornings so I think that is why some of us wake up with these anxiety,palps,etc. Panicky type attacks ,usually if I can manage to get up and do something it helps somewhat,easier said than done sometimes ! Think then the adrenaline has somewhere to go.

Cortisol = adrenaline= anxiety,palps,etc

Kathleen

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2015, 02:34:39 PM »

Hello ladies.

I'd like to add another observation about menopausal anxiety.

I've noticed that if I wake up during the night I feel completely calm and normal. It is only later when I wake up a the beginning of the day that I experience the feelings of fear. Clearly something is happening during those early morning hours.

I have never had drenching sweats at night or indeed at any other time and on the few occasions I've had disturbed sleep I usually have a drink of milk and go straight back to sleep. All my problems occur during the day and I often feel better by the evening.
Maybe my circadian clock is at odds with my hormones and the answer is to become nocturnal!

I think my experience adds to the theory that stress hormones are flooding our bodies at around dawn (I'm sure I read that heart attacks are more likely at 4 am).

As with everything related to the menopause, understanding the process is helpful but ideally this would be translated into a practical and effective treatment for us all. We live in hope!

Take care ladies and wishing everyone a good day.

K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »

Certainly men who get up to pee often drop dead in the early hours which is why I insist on DH sitting on the edge of the bed before rising to the bathroom.  I also insist that men sit on the loo to pee in the early hours, can't be doing with the thought of an emergency call at that hour!  ::)

I know that I feel OK in the early hours because I have still time in bed before I face the day.  The closer to dawn I get the more uptight my gut feels  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2015, 04:52:40 PM »

I'm not great in the mornings either. I set my alarm for an hour before I need to be up. I get up and feed the dog then I make a cuppa and go back to bed with my kindle to read the news, and also read my book. It helps a bit as I'm a complete disaster if I have to rush.

Another of my problems...and I don't know if it's just me....a car journey anywhere except local is such an ordeal. I'm fine on the way home but on the outward journey I am a bag of nerves. It's a nightmare and as I always feel this way I expect it which just makes things worse.
Makes going on holiday a challenge to say the least.

Honeybun
X

jedigirl

« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2015, 07:57:01 PM »

honeybun,
I started to struggle with longer journeys too. I think it was feeling I was getting further from home causing panic, the unfamiliarity of where we are going and if I'd be okay there. Are you the driver?
If not and you are a passenger, I've found that listening to music and meditations that I've downloaded while wearing headphones helps distract me. Can you try that?
JG xxx

honeybun

« Reply #66 on: April 18, 2015, 08:02:47 PM »

I'm not the driver . I have gone from being able to drive anywhere to being limited to short journeys. I drive a round trip of thirty miles three times a week to look after my mother. If it wasn't for the fact I have no choice then I probably would hardly drive at all. I had a couple of panic attacks on the motorway and that was that. I really miss being able to enjoy driving as I loved it. I now feel light headed and avoid it whenever possible.

Not much better as a passenger. Maybe I should just walk   ::)

This anxiety is just rubbish and really limits the things you used to enjoy and really want to do.

Honeybun
X

jedigirl

« Reply #67 on: April 18, 2015, 08:11:24 PM »

Yep anxiety is the pits, I guess we find the best way round it we can until we can be ourselves again, which I believe we will.
Maybe a sedative would help, a Kalm or something to stop you associating travelling with panic?

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2015, 09:46:39 PM »

I can only travel when DH is driving ……….

babyjane

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2015, 09:46:06 AM »

How strange, these things are so horrible and yet here again are others feeling the same - re car journeys.

Mine got worse after Christmas when we got caught in the mother of all jams on the way home from our daughter's when the world and his wife were also travelling home.

Now I only have to see red brake lights and I start to panic.  We go on holiday in just under  7 weeks time  :(

My GP gave me a few Diazepam tablets to help when I told him about it, but after reading all the possible side effects on the leaflet I am too scared to take them  :'(

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2015, 11:25:22 AM »

Take 1 at the weekend to see if you can tolerate the effect.  I used Valium: initially 10 mg and then 5mg: on an 'as necessary' basis for years.  I wouldn't be here otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 01:54:57 PM by CLKD »

babyjane

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »

can you cut them in half?

CLKD

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2015, 01:54:33 PM »

There's no point! what dose has the GP given you?

babyjane

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »

2mg

I am so sensitive to medication, I react badly to almost everything  :(

CLKD

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2015, 02:06:17 PM »

2mg how often per day? I doubt if you will over-react at 2mg as a 1-off.  However, if it's in the back of your mind you can talk yourself into it …… I always worried about what would happen if I swallowed new meds., ate food, went for a walk  :'( - which is why I suggested taking it at the weekend.  With food.  At night before you go to bed to stop those anxiety surges first thing.  Then when you know how it works you will be able to judge when you need it re going anywhere  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7