Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: What routine has worked for you?  (Read 2652 times)

Sunnydays

What routine has worked for you?
« on: March 27, 2015, 03:09:16 PM »

Hi,
I thought it might be useful to have a thread dedicated to what's been successful for any of us ladies during our various stages of menopause? It could be hrt, non hrt, alternative or just plain crazy! But if you've used it for say 12 months, and can give feedback on what it helped you with. We're all different and it won't work for all of us, but there might be tips that can help others, all in one place..........

To start us off:
Age 52, no period for 20 months
Stress/anxiety - what has really kept me sane has been to go out for a burst on my bike - get the heart rate up, cry like mad if needs be (and no one can see) and I feel better. On a day to day basis I'm sure yoga and mindfulness have been a bonus

Keeping flexible - a physio once told me that keeping flexible as we age is a priority; yoga and Pilates have been great at achieving just this

Fighting the fat - eating red flesh grapefruits - sounds mad, but I love them. One every evening and I'm sure it busts the fat!

Hot flushes - wearing layers but none too tight, especially around the torso. Reducing caffeine. These both ease it a little but still get them

Night sweats - a wool duvet; takes the sweat from body

Excess catarrh, impacting on sinus - rinse with saline solution using a neti pot, once a day

Last night I started ultra low dose hrt by cutting a patch into a quarter as well as Ovestin cream. I chose this to try and help with declining skin quality, sleeplessness, and down below not being like it used to! I'll give it 12 months and will let you know!!

rosebud57

Re: What routine has worked for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 03:18:30 PM »

Wow points 1 and 2 sound far too energetic for me.  I agree about the hot flushes though.  I cannot bear anything too  tight now and go for more loose fitting clothes, otherwise I feel like I'm trapped.

Will have to give the grapefruit :P a try.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »

Well Sunnydays - longer than 12 months ????

Not quite sure what to put really -

8 years on HRT - best thing I did.

Started doing proper exercise several years ago as I became aware of a bit of creakiness and painful joints creeping in - 3 exercise classes a week and I walk regularly.

Healthy eating - always done this - cooking from fresh ingredients now almost exclusivley with children more or less off my hands. Permanently watch the calories to keep my increasing weight at bay.

Don't have flushes and sweats due to HRT

Go to more festivals and live music gigs - for interest and have some fun while I still can  ;D

I do eat grapefruit now and again (without sugar of course!) but usually eat an orange every day for breakfast (before porridge and banana!)

If I'm worried about things or feeling a bit down, or get a migraine then go for a brisk walk ( like your cycling Sunny!) and it really gets the endorphins going. I rarely cry as hormones are stable and nothing sad in my life at the moment.... blubbed my heart out during peri-menopause though! In front of people too - I couldn't help it!

Still working part-time - gives me a purpose and keeps me positive as I'm doing something worthwhile and creative.

Will that do?

Hurdity x

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 07:17:56 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I just thought it might be useful to see the different things that we all do that are successful and keep us sane! I thought 12 months, as often, things can work for a few weeks but then no longer have an impact?? If it's still working after a year then maybe it's good!
If I can't cycle due to weather I do a brisk walk. When grapefruit season is over I'll try the oranges.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:48 PM »

Great idea  :great:

I went into peri-menopause without really noticing other than realising that periods were getting less and less - over about 2 years.  Intermittent then disappeared  :bounce:

Anxiety has been a problem since age 3 and depression since 1988.  Medicated successfully.

Fortunatly I haven't had too many symptoms.  These began in 2000.

1  itchy insteps when I get into the bath every night  -  still intermittent
2  itchy across my back/shoulder area so DH would scratch gently after my bath - now gone
3  a sheen of sweat across the same area after my bath - could have been hormonal or due to taking medication
    at 9.00 p.m. - now gone

4  18 months ago VA began  >:( ….. now under control

Although I had breast disease in 1995 I would insist on HRT should it become necessary as I believe quality of Life is important. 

DH does the cooking.  We try to eat healthy food stuffs and he cooks from fresh.  I love grapefruit but only 'lemon' ones, red doesn't do it for me but a WHOLE 1 each evening  :o  ;D - I cut mine in half and cover in white sugar ……. messy but tasty  ;)