Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: HRT after low grade 1a endometrial cancer and put into surgical menopause?  (Read 3796 times)

alinig

Has anyone been put onto HRT after grade 1a endometrial cancer? I was still having regular periods when my cancer was found. After total hysterectomy and ovaries removed I have been put into a surgical menopause. My aftercare for the cancer was good but as I needed no extra treatments  no-one has offered me any advice on the menopause and all it's painful symptoms. Just 'No HRT' after the surgery is all the conservation I have had. I have developed very painful joints, anxiety, depression and a frozen shoulder but not much in the way of hot flushes in fact I feel very cold and go to bed with a hot water bottle every night although I have upgraded to an electric blanket now!! Has anyone been through anything similar?? Please help......

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

>wave<  - I am sure someone will be alone who has had HRT.  I would also suggest contacting Ovarian Cancer charity [Ovacome] …….. for a 'chat'.

The Consultants who say 'no HRT' have NO idea  :bang:

alinig

Thank you CLKD - it made smile seeing the smiley hitting a brick wall - exactly how I feel!!! :-)

peegeetip

Hi alinig

recent studies have shown that ladies after having a full hysterectomy are fine to have estrogen only HRT.

The studies confirmed that those on estrogen only HRT have a "lower" risk of breast cancer when full Hysterectomy has been completed.

Really don't see what the problem would be on you taking estrogen only HRT other than misinformation on the part of the docs'. I would not ask the macmillan nurse as its just not her area of experience.

Ultimately the HRT will make you more comfortable in the long run. It will protect your circulation, heart, bone, bowel, va/urinary and all the hot/flush/sweats issue. Your probably aware of all that but just thought I'd mention it.

As long as your condition is monitored and your medicated for conditions are under control then thats also ok eg. High BP etc.

Hope you manage to get what you need soon.

:-*

Hurdity

Hi alinig

I agree with peegeetip - there should be no problem with taking HRT after endometrial cancer.

How old are you and how long since you had the operation (hysterectomy etc)? If possible HRT should be taken at least until the natural average age of menopause of 51-52. Ovary removal will have plunged you straight into surgical menopause so no wonder you are feeling rough.

Also if you are feeling cold - do make sure you get your thyroid checked - are you putting on weight at all?

Good luck!

Hurdity x

CLKD

Pleased that I brought a smile to your face, have you seen our 'funny' room  ;)

:great: :lol:

alinig

My op was last August and I was 48. Although they had told me 'No HRT' - the fact that I was told 'cancer' is far more scary and all you can think about is getting rid of the cancer - I had no idea what other symptoms  of the menopause were. I was prepared for the hot flushes that everyone was telling me about. Roughly 8 weeks after the op my joints REALLY started aching - never one joint was affected - always the pair . My right elbow was the worst, at first, top and bottom of the joint. When I slept the pain was worse when my arms were bent??? The pain was not IN my joint - it was surrounding it - hard to explain. Went to Drs but as per it was all dismissed and told I had frozen shoulder and 'golfers elbow'!!

As for feeling cold - yes I have hypothyroidism but my levels are fine. The coldness and complete and utter fatigue are indescribable. I feel that coldness again but I notice that I have my 'warm flushes' in the morning as I am waking up? I lost weight after my op which I was pleased about and have managed to keep it at a constant. Started walking/jogging 5km 3 times a week but my knee pain is back again so that is on hold at he moment.

I would just like concrete evidence that I could present to my Dr/Consultant - fighting them all the time is draining.

Thank you lovely ladies for your support.

CLKD

You could of course send Dr Currie on here a private message for which there is a charge - something with which to take to the Consultant.

I don't think Oncologists etc. have any idea about menopause symptoms and how debilitating they can be.  It's hard enough getting GPs on board  ::) without ladies being fobbed off with anti-depressants or 'live with it' or herbals  :(

peegeetip

Hi alinig

watch the running. Its prone to make joint issues worse.

5km on hard surfaces even with the best of running shoes will take a toll on your joints (3 times a week)  :o

Your knees are already calling a halt , so listen to them.

Perhaps you could go to the swimming and take the weight off your joints.
This will keep you flexible without hammering your joints at a difficult time (without hrt).

Take care

:-*

CLKD

Cycling!