Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Wild mood swings are a torment  (Read 2792 times)

SueRoe

Wild mood swings are a torment
« on: March 26, 2015, 03:14:29 PM »

Sorry to bother you with this dreary post but does anyone else feel like they've lost control of their life because of mood swings? I have no idea from one day to the next whether I'll be reasonably upbeat and able to get on with life or whether I'll be feeling so low that I won't get washed or pick up the phone when it rings. I can't plan anything. When I do feel like my old self I dare to hope that all this hormonal chaos is finally over (it started 9 years ago) and I can get on with the rest of my life - but invariably it lasts only a day or two before I crash back down again. This has been going on for years and I don't know how much longer I can stand it. I have no idea whether my HRT (Evorel 50 patches and 100 Utrogestan daily) is helping or making things worse - I'm assuming that because this gives a steady dose that it must be my own hormones that are the culprits but I thought that my own hormones should have bottomed out by now as I'm 53. Should I stop the HRT to see what my "baseline" is and take things from there? Or increase my Evorel to 75 for an experimental week then see my GP? Or go back on Citalopram AD? Any help out of this mire would be appreciated. Thank you.

dazned

Re: Wild mood swings are a torment
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 03:38:50 PM »

Hi  Sorry to hear that you are having a bad time.I'm no expert but I would try upping your estrogen see if that helps. Someone with more experience will be along soon I'm sure but 50 sounds on low side to me . Hope you get sorted soon.

tabbycat3838

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 03:47:16 PM »

Hi freda, i seem to posting on everyones threads today with stories of similar problems lol.
I was just looking for a thread about outbursts after juat flying into another 20 second rage and you had just posted this.
Anyway yes i can relate, i dont even know who i am in those moments.they tend to be moments for me, and then im back to normal but its really horrible, and i really dont like myself when it happens.
It is almost like someone else takes over my personality for a few minutes..it does seem to be mainly my son that i lose control over my emotions with as we are having a,stressful time at the moment.but i do feel generally pretty intolerant of certain people that i would usualy let go over my head, which is absaloutely not my style at all.
Like you i also get days where i just feel unbelievably low, total lack of energy and motivation low. infact its more than even that?feelings of almost complete pointlessness.
I get you completely about the lack of being able to plan stuff too.. There are loads of things i really want to do this summer that i just dont know if im going to be able to due to the never knowing how i,ll feel from one day to the next.. So crap isnt it and wish i could suggest something to help. you are not alone x

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »

Hello Freda.

I understand completely where you are coming from and I share your frustration. I was using Evorel 50 mcg patches and Utrogestan 100mg for about three months but I have recently changed to a Conti version, we'll see if it helps!

Earlier on this journey I had good moods that lasted about two weeks followed by two weeks of feeling down but in recent times my moods change by the hour. I hate it and wish it would stop.

I am 58, my periods stopped nearly five years ago and like you I would have thought my own hormones would have bottomed out by now.

I wish I could advise you but I am as confused as you. All I can do is offer sympathy and send hugs.

Take care.

K.

SueRoe

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 06:13:24 PM »

Kathleen - have you thought about stopping HRT altogether?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »

Oh I remember mood swings as a teen and beyond.  I would get nasty at the drop of a hat. 

1 day I could deal with an issue quite calmly, another the same issue would set me off big time.  HORMONES  >:( ………. my DH stuck by me, he would tell me that my mood was hormonal …….. eventually I began to take notice of him and not throw stuff at him  ;)

Keeping a mood/food diary might help you chart your hormone upheavals/moods?  Some couples find a buzz word helps, the OH shouts it as he runs from the room ……..

How did the Anti-depressant help? 

SueRoe

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 08:37:03 PM »

CLKD - you are right, there's definitely a link with food, but if I ate whenever I felt my mood slipping I'd be like the side of a house. I'm trying to find a happy medium and eat low GI foods but it's a case or re-learning and it's slow. The AD was helpful in that it got me up off the floor but I now think that sorting out my hormone levels would have been better as I don't know what effect altering my hormone/neurotransmitter balance by taking ADs has had.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »

Probably nothing.

Grazing is important.  Stops some mood swings as it stops the dips ………. it's not about eating more each day but spreading out the diet throughout 24/7.  It really does work and I didn't put on weight.  It did help the dips …...