Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sunburn anyone??  (Read 8814 times)

dogdoc

Sunburn anyone??
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:31:58 PM »

I know not everything is a symptom of menopause BUT I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. In the last few years I find that I am far more sensitive to the sun than I used to be. I can sit out on a warm spring day for 15 minutes and be 'pink'. If I'm at the beach i will burn despite sunscreen. This is relatively new for me and I'm wondering if it has to do with menopause... Thinner skin?? Less melanin??

Anyone else found this... And have you found something that works?
Tara

honeybun

Re: Sunburn anyone??
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:45:48 PM »

Sorry I don't have any answers.

I don't tolerate really warm weather anymore and I used to love it....so that is a meno change for me.

Good job I live in Scotland....not something we have to contend with very often  ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:48:02 PM »

Some medications - as you are probably aware  ;) - can cause sensitivity to sunshine.  What 'factor' sunscreen do you have in Canada?  We have 25 and I believe up to 50 screening.  Last year I didn't put any on although we had nice weather, my hands turn brown first followed by my face - usually when working in the garden.

I also note 'old age' spots, i.e. brown blotches on my hands  :( ………

I was advised when under-going radiation treatment to always wear a straw hat  ;)

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 06:46:42 PM »

I've always burned in the sun, being fair. When we've been on holiday in the Caribbean I've started with factor 50, then down to factor 30. Not burned on these holidays, in fact usually come home only slightly tinted. If out & about here I'll use factor 15/20, unless it gets really hot.  ;D Fat chance!

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »

I've become more tolerant of sun as I've grown older, not less.  But I usually use a moisturiser with SPF 15 in winter and sunscreen between SPF 30 and 50 in summer, as I am a gardener, so very at risk of skin cancer.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 07:37:12 PM »

I have been treated for a solar keratosis on the side of my nose. It was not a particularly nice experience. Of course that was caused by too much sun. It's made me more aware of the importance of sunscreen and not baking myself when I get the chance.

Honeybun
X

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 07:44:12 PM »

When I was in my 20s, I started work with a team of older (20-30 years older) gardeners and found out in my first week that they had ALL been treated for skin cancer at some point!!! When they started work, there was no awareness of the health risks of long term exposure to sun.  I remember it was only really starting to be publicised when I was a child.  It has made me take it very seriously ever since.

Annie0710

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 08:29:52 PM »

I used to be olive skinned all year round and as a child I'd get asked if I was Asian or Mediterranean , and I didn't wear lotion until prob 30s, never burned .

But in recent years ? I get ****ly heat, burn and I get those age spots ! Plus this last holiday abroad in sept/oct I tanned with white patches, hardly the tan to come back and be proud of !
Xx

dogdoc

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 06:20:54 AM »

Yes I use at least a 50. I surf and water is terrible for trying not to burn but I don't even need the water. I'll burn pretty quick no matter what. I garden too.
Guess I'll just keep slathering on the sunscreen.

libby1

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 07:42:01 AM »

Yes, I never used to go red in the sun but am now much more sensitive.

Libby
x

Dulciana

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:33 AM »

We went to Switzerland for our silver wedding anniversary seven years ago, when I was 49.  On our second day there, we went somewhere that was down in a valley and was a real sun trap.   I caught the sun there, big-time.  My whole chest area came out in a mass of blistery things and apart from itching like hell, caused everyone to stare at me wherever I went.   It all went down with antihistamines but I've certainly never had a sun reaction quite like that, before, and I try to stay out of the sun whenever I can, now.

Dorothy

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »

Big floppy hats and loose cotton/linen tops with long sleeves help keep the sun off while keeping cool...only if you are bending over gardening, make sure your top hasn't ridden up to leave a gap round your middle - I ended up with a bright red two-inch wide strip across my back last year because of this!

Dulciana, your story reminded me of a holiday I had by the sea aged 13 - the sea breeze was so cooling I didn't realise how hot the sun was and my face was covered with blisters by the evening.  I had to spend the rest of the week covered in thick white burn cream...not a great look for a self-conscious teenager  ;D

dahliagirl

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 10:02:48 AM »

I have always had problems with the sun and wear a hat and long sleeves and something that does not expose the back of the neck (the easiest bit to burn accidently).  I hate suncream - last time I used it I burned the back of my arms, but you could see white finger shapes where the cream had been  ;D

I don't think I have more of a problem with the sun, but my face is more sensitive to everything, and goes red very easily and I have bigger problems with silver birch pollen and the connected oral allergy syndrome.

This year, I am attempting controlled exposure of the tummy (not seen since the birth of my twins) in my new bikini, to avoid low vit D again.  It is so hard to get the right balance.  ::)

Jenna

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 10:04:29 AM »

I am not sure whether I am affected more by the sun these days (must pay more attention!), but what I have noticed is that I now get bitten by midges etc., whereas before I always escaped.

Dulciana

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 08:20:01 PM »

I am not sure whether I am affected more by the sun these days (must pay more attention!), but what I have noticed is that I now get bitten by midges etc., whereas before I always escaped.
Midges!!  We have them with boots on in Scotland!    ::)
Pages: [1] 2