Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Long periods  (Read 2957 times)

Tigger99

Long periods
« on: March 25, 2015, 09:16:50 AM »

Morning ladies, I need some advice. Those of you on here that suffered with periods going on and on, how long did they last for. My period is now on day 16 and still going although it is not heavy and usually just when I wipe. This has been going on for approx. 2 years now with lots of normal periods in between and then these long ones. As per my previous posts I have had swabs, scans, biopsy's that have all come back normal so am putting this down to hormones. I have read some interesting things about peri menopause and how it can make your periods last longer. I guess my question is how long does this go on for before you start skipping periods etc. I do have a gyna appointment in a couple of weeks time so will bring it up again then but am just fed up with it now. I don't have any pain, bloating or any other symptoms, I suppose I just need reassurance that this is just meno related. :)

dahliagirl

Re: Long periods
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »

It may be just yet another symptom of not ovulating  ::)

The progesterone phase of your normal cycle changes the nature of the lining, stops proliferation and at the end when it drops, causes spasms which sloughs off the lining and close the blood vessels.

It would appear that around menopause, nothing works quite right  :-\

Have you tried taking ibuprofen for a morning?  It is supposed to help stop bleeding.  I think I have taken too much of it, with joint aches as well.  ::)  I have been fine on hrt, but have gone all haywire at the moment, since I went travelling and messed up my routine. :-\

Tigger99

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 12:20:30 PM »

Hi dahliagirl
Thanks for your thoughts regarding this. I have not tried ibuprofen but will give it a go. I am going to bring up the hormone thing when I am at the hospital next as they are obviously just trying to rule out anything sinister but as they have found nothing maybe they will be more willing to discuss other possible reasons! I feel like having a good cry to be honest with you but I know it won't help  :)

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 02:15:55 PM »

I know the feeling.

Hope it improves for you :)

Kathleen

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »

Hello Tigger99.

Sorry to hear that you are suffering. When I was in my forties my periods became heavier and I often passed clots ( sorry if tmi ) When I had two in one month I had a scan that revealed a small fibroid and I was given Norethisterone to take. This is a synthetic form of progesterone and I think it works by preventing the womb lining from building up.

I am surprised that you haven't been offered something similar by now but maybe that's because you've yet to complete all the tests.

Hopefully you will have your answers soon and can start some treatment. I do remember worrying about the bleeding and I became anaemic as a result which added to the misery.

Sending you hugs and let us know how you get on.     

K.

Tigger99

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 04:36:04 PM »

Hi Kathleen
Thank you for your reply. They have ruled out fibroids etc. The only reason I am going back to the hospital is that they are keeping an eye on a cyst I have but they have told me that is nothing to do with the bleeding. The bleeding is not heavy just prolonged and annoying more than anything. Just really want to know how long it will go on before my periods finally get further apart!!
I will let you know how I get on  :)

BrightLight

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »

Hi Tigger - I don't think there is an answer as to how long - I wish there were.  I had a period that went on and on with mainly spotting, a couple of years ago now, then things went back to normal.  Then in January this year it happened again but seemed not right at all - they took blood tests before they did any investigating with scans etc and confirmed my FSH was high, so it was put down to menopause.  I have since missed a period, but have had two in a row after that which are heavier than they used to be.  I think this is all down to declining hormones and the lining being 'different' either because of no ovulation or just a general imbalance of the two hormones.

I've also read ibuprofen is meant to help.