Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Plane crash in the Alps  (Read 21219 times)

ellie

Re: Plane crash in the Alps
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2015, 01:01:56 PM »

Tiger74 My son is an airline Captain who also flies the 320 but mainly the 330 ....he says little will be gained from bringing a steward in when one pilot has to go to toilet.....If somone was in the frame of mind to crash a plane, wouldn't they easily overcome a steward first.....
     I expect you worry about your husband flying just as I worry about my son, but life must go on.
       I have a fear of flying but won't let it stop me .....our pilots are trained to the highest standards......

tiger74

« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2015, 01:45:43 PM »

Hi Ellie,

Yes, all the aircrew we've spoken to agree that little would be gained by bringing a cabin crew member into the flight deck, in fact some think it would very counter-productive.

During the 28 years we've been together (all of this has been during his frontline military and commercial flying careers), I have never worried about my husband flying.  Thankfully my life is not normally fettered by undue worry for which I am grateful but if I were the worrying sort I'd be far more concerned about him driving to work, or getting cancer.... etc. etc. - many things are far more likely than dying in a flying-related incident.   

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2015, 01:51:04 PM »

Fear over-takes my Life sometimes on a daily basis.  No CBG/over coming fear programmes would help.  The fear was embedded within the 1st week of LIfe ………… it's worse when we have to plan ahead usually on spontaneous days I'm OK.  Except this morning  :'(

dazned

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2015, 01:52:35 PM »

You still feeling bad CLKD  :-\

Have a  :hug: x

CLKD

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2015, 01:57:57 PM »

:thankyou:  the emergency medication is easing symptoms and I'm tired.  Can't concentrate on anything much though.

Getting into a plane, boarding a train/coach, shopping in a busy centre is impossible today.  The background worry is whether the anxiety will continue to be raised ……….. :'( each time I think of planning holidays/days out it starts.  Then the worry takes over as to whether my GP will continue to prescribe.

There are places I want to see: The Italian Lakes, Milan, Torin, stand at the foot of the Matterhorn; searche out friend who lives in France who knew my Dad when he was 19, she continues to keep contact with my Mum.  Re-vsiting friends in Glasgow - all these trips could be by plane for others but not for me  :-X

Dorothy

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »

Not sure why people keep talking about suicide - yes it was that, but it was mass murder of the most horrific kind

Perhaps people are trying to be considerate to the dead pilot's family and friends?  I am not trying to minimise the horror of his behaviour, but whatever we say, it can't hurt the man responsible, but it can hurt those left behind - those who loved him and thought they knew him. 

CLKD

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »

I agree Dorothy. 

Taz2

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2015, 05:33:41 PM »

I haven't read all of this thread but just feel there are some professions where patient confidentiality needs to be waived. If someone is signed off as unfit to work and they have a job where they are responsible for the safety of others then maybe it should be reportable to the employer to make sure that the employee doesn't carry on working to the detriment of others?

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2015, 05:55:26 PM »

Not sure why people keep talking about suicide - yes it was that, but it was mass murder of the most horrific kind

Perhaps people are trying to be considerate to the dead pilot's family and friends?  I am not trying to minimise the horror of his behaviour, but whatever we say, it can't hurt the man responsible, but it can hurt those left behind - those who loved him and thought they knew him.

Any comments made can't affect the man responsible, and sadly, they do affect his family.
Perhaps a good thing to come out of any such comments, is that will point out that suicide doesn't just affect the person who commits the act. It affects other people as well.

tiger74

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2015, 06:42:14 PM »

I haven't read all of this thread but just feel there are some professions where patient confidentiality needs to be waived. If someone is signed off as unfit to work and they have a job where they are responsible for the safety of others then maybe it should be reportable to the employer to make sure that the employee doesn't carry on working to the detriment of others?

Taz x

Interesting idea but where to draw the line (a huge number of jobs include an element of responsibility for the safety of others)?  What medical conditions should be reported to employers? What occupations should be included? Bus drivers? Train drivers? Gas fitters? Care workers? Medical professionals? School crossing patrol officers (AKA lollipop men/ladies)?  Office workers?   A suicidal office worker could take lots of people with them e.g. by taking a gun to work and shooting a load of people before taking their own life.  A mentally-ill psychopath working in a food preparation factory could kill a load of people by putting poison in the food... etc. etc.  I don't think that it's possible to live in a risk-free world.   

Limpy

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »

Taz x

Interesting idea but where to draw the line (a huge number of jobs include an element of responsibility for the safety of others)?  What medical conditions should be reported to employers? What occupations should be included? Bus drivers? Train drivers? Gas fitters? Care workers? Medical professionals? School crossing patrol officers (AKA lollipop men/ladies)?  Office workers?   A suicidal office worker could take lots of people with them e.g. by taking a gun to work and shooting a load of people before taking their own life.  A mentally-ill psychopath working in a food preparation factory could kill a load of people by putting poison in the food... etc. etc.  I don't think that it's possible to live in a risk-free world.   

It isn't possible to live in a risk free world.
I think it's sad that that anybody thinks that their right to kill themselves is more important than the consequences of their actions on other people.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:53:06 PM by Limpy »

Taz2

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2015, 07:57:09 PM »

It is a difficult thing I admit but if you have someone who is suffering from mental illness coupled with eyesight problems (which seems to be the case) and they are in charge of a vehicle carrying passengers then I do believe that the employer should be notified that this person has been found unfit for work. Obviously it does depend on the cause of your being signed off. It's the same with DVLA. You have to inform them of any illness not your GP which is difficult to do if you can't do your job without driving.

Tiger - I see what you are saying about the psychopath food-worker poisoning food but that's my point exactly. If the GP signs this person off as unfit to work and he doesn't tell anyone then the food will be poisoned but if the GP is allowed to alert the employer then this could be avoided. Of course a risk-free world is not attainable

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2015, 09:33:20 PM »

Of course if they had in-house Medical Care and regular reports to a Dr or Psychologist - this should happen across all work situations but mental illness has a stigma.  Still. 

But I know from experience that psychiatric patients are very good at pulling the wool over the eyes of Professionals  :'( - they may be unstable but learn how to 'work' the tests, know what answers the Clinicans want to hear in order to push people back to work ……..

Taz2

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2015, 10:52:37 PM »

That's true but in this instance the wool hadn't been pulled over the doctor's eyes - he was signed off work but only he and the doctor knew.

Taz x

rosebud57

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »

The sad fact is that mental illness is very often 'hidden illness', whether it's is depression or anything else.  People either hide it because they are afraid of negative attitudes, or they cannot believe it is happening them.

I know that when I suffered from depression I hid it for a year.  It was not until I finally  imploded that anyone else knew I was ill.

It's time mental illness was treated like any other illness.  One in four people will suffer sometime in their life and if it were talked about and regarded in a more open manner perhaps tragedies like this could be avoided.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6