Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: New Here!  (Read 4146 times)

Tootsweet

New Here!
« on: March 24, 2015, 04:12:05 PM »

Hi, I am 44 and have been on HRT for about 4 months now due to menopausal symptoms (no blood or anything ever taken from me)!  I am suffering terribly with night sweats and really vivid dreams and my sleep patterns are all over the place.  I am really not coping well at all.  I keep going back to Doctors but they just say that I am on the highest dose of HRT and there is nothing else they can do.  I don't know how long I can cope with this  :'(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New Here!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:22:45 PM »

:welcomemm:  'nothing else they can do' is dismissive of your symptoms but sadly, par for the Course. 

Have a browse of the menus at the top of the screen and make notes.  4 months is a short period of time to begin to notice very good effect from medication.  My Gynae doesn't do hormonal blood tests because they alter all the while, he 'goes' on the lady's symptoms.  It can be Trial and Error finding something that 'works' so don't despair too early.

You need HRT to protect heart and bones.  Tell us about any other symptoms you are suffering with, there can be quite a few: some come and go, others arrive and stay  >:(  ::) …….. then go ……….

dazned

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 04:32:33 PM »

Hi tootsweet can you tell us what Hrt you are on ,sadly blood tests really don't show/prove anything as they change throughout your cycle so will be different on any given day,that's why most prescribe on symptoms. At least your GP gave you hrt so that's half the battle. Have a look at all the posts plenty of info to be gleaned .

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 05:50:32 PM »

Hello Tootsweet and welcome.

I think the best thing you can do is use the forum to educate yourself about what is available and may suit you, you can then go back to your GP armed with the relevant information and agree a plan of action. Many of us on this journey need to try different things in order to feel better and sadly many doctors are not up to speed on all the treatments.

Wishing you well, you are not alone.

K.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 08:13:22 PM »

Hi tootsweet  :welcomemm: from me too!

Sorry to hear you are still having a bad time despite being on HRT.

What were your periods like in the year or so leading up to your going to the doc with your symptoms? As the others have said the particular type of HRT you are on may not suit you - and some of them tend to be more likely to cause problematic side effects than others.

I assume you are on cyclical HRT that induces a monthly bleed and maybe that you still had a bit of a cycle going on before startng the HRT? Are you noticing symptoms for example on the second half of the pack - of tablets or patches, or maybe for a few days after you change back to the first half of a new pack? If you tell us a bit more we maybe able to advise.

As the others have said - read as much as you can both on this forum, and on the website (drop-down menus at the  very top).

Hurdity x

Tootsweet

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »

Hi guys, thanks for the responses so far.  I am taking Elleste Duet 2mg.  I originally started on the 1mg but it did not seem to ease my symptoms so was moved onto the 2mg.  My main problem is the night sweats and vivid dreams, I am waking up drenched at least half a dozen times a night, I am so tired but work full-time and am finding things really difficult.  I have hot flushes but only a few a week so nothing I can't cope with there (although when I do have a flush it is quite intense and leaves me shaking and weak).  My moods are all over the place and the Doc has just changed my anti-depressant to Fluoxetine (which can be good at alleviating night sweats apparently).

I have tried to take note of when in the pack of HRT I feel better/worse but to be honest I feel crap all of the time!.  Before going on HRT (and still now) I was on the contraceptive pill so did not have any periods.  I was told when I started on the HRT that I would get a bleed but I haven't.

I am hoping that once the fluoxetine gets into my system properly I might start to feel a little better (says a little prayer!) x

Tootsweet

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:21:06 AM »

Oh I forgot to mention the crashing fatigue, some days i literally can't keep my eyes open and find myself falling asleep at my desk.  If I don't get up and walk about I would literally start snoring! x

dazned

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:54:10 AM »

It's going to be difficult for you to get a true picture at the moment because unfortunately you have had 2 medication changed at the same time ish ,so you body is trying to adapt to the higher Hrt and the new Ad fluroxetien not ideal really imho ! I know it's horrible but if you can cope for a while longer it will take time to level out . I have just started ads too so now don't know what is working or not ! Hope you get settled soon.

peegeetip

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 11:42:53 AM »

Hi Tootsweet

love the name (ccbb) :)

http://www.aafp.org/afp/1998/0515/p2514.html

Just a wee note that the fluoxetine can have an affect on your period.

Not saying you should stop or change anything but just so your aware that might have an impact on when you have a period.

For me the months went by between periods before HRT.
However after starting the HRT I was back to clockwork almost.

The symptoms of tiredness you mention, could that be just because of the broken sleep or do you feel its more than that?
If so then you might want to see the doc in regards to thyroid issue.
Tiredness and other symptoms can be confused easily as peri/meno and thyroid issues often kick in at the same time.

Have a look at the following to see if that helps open up your view on what might be happening:
http://www.prevention.com/health/health-concerns/symptoms-you-shouldnt-ignore

Best thing is keep pushing to get something done :)

:-*
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:46:06 AM by peegeetip »

alinig

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 10:33:56 AM »

Hello everyone - I'm new here! Quick history: aged 49, last year had total hysterectomy and both ovaries removed last August due to endometrial cancer stage1a - very early cancer. It was found during hysteroscopy because I had very heavy periods and a fibroid - due to have Mirena coil put in. Before this my periods were VERY regular and now I have been put into surgical menopause. I was fortunate not to have further treatment - radiotherapy and chemo but apart from the routine (and painful) examinations I am left alone. Not one person has spoken to me regarding the menopause - in fact before the surgery I was just told 'No HRT' but when you have been told 'Cancer' everything else is of no consequence until you are hit with painful joints, depression and only mild hot flushes. In fact I feel so cold - to my bones that it is painful aswell.
I had a bleeding episode - went to consultant in Feb and he was not nice to say the least. 'You don't have cancer.' was his reply after a very painful examination and although he appeared to listen to my woes just said nothing about why I may have bled and I then asked him 'Whether I was dry downstairs' and he said 'no but if you want buy a lubricant.' I felt so humiliated by his lack of concern for my wellbeing that I have vowed not to go back. The Macmillan nurse was no better and when I asked if I could go on HRT she went out and then came back with some phials for my blood and to this day I do not know what that was for and I have had no results either (which she promised to inform me.) My GP has no results for them either. Went to GP this week as I can't take the aches and pains, can't sleep and I feel so wretched. Anyway GP said she has to speak to my consultant to get his agreement to go on HRT. Not holding too hope for that. I am trying all sorts of herbal remedies (which are expensive and come out of our pocket). Menopace, menomood, devils claw, rosehip + vit C, soy tablets plus cuprofen and paracetamol through the day.

Sorry for the self pitying rant but feeling so fed up at mo. Has anyone got advice?

dazned

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »

:welcomemm:  Alinig

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad .I can't advise you about your symptoms sorry but I think you will get more answers if you start your own new thread in New section rather on the end of another's as you could get accidentally overlooked ! Hope you get sorted soon.

peegeetip

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25:48 AM »

Hi alinig

recent studies have shown that ladies after having a full hysterectomy are fine to have estrogen only HRT.

The studies confirmed that those on estrogen only HRT have a "lower" risk of breast cancer when full Hysterectomy has been completed.

Really don't see what the problem would be on you taking estrogen only HRT other than misinformation on the part of the docs'. I would not ask the macmillan nurse as its just not her area of experience.

Ultimately the HRT will make you more comfortable in the long run. It will protect your circulation, heart, bone, bowel, va/urinary and all the hot/flush/sweats issue. Your probably aware of all that but just thought I'd mention it.

Hope you manage to get what you need soon.

:-*