Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Allergy to patches?  (Read 9355 times)

Grumpymum

Allergy to patches?
« on: March 11, 2015, 10:02:24 PM »

Hi, this is my first post although I have been reading many threads. I started on HRT 7 months ago after the gradual decline into peri menopause. I'm 50. My doctor started me on Elleste Duet 1mg, then 2mg then Femoston - none of which had what I had hoped for. My main problems are the snappy mood (hence my name!), anxiety, totally fuzzy head with no decision making ability, with any get up and go definitely gone. My mum had been on HRT 20 years ago (patches) and thinks they are wonderful - made her feel 35 again (I wish!). I persuaded my doctor to give me patches and she gave me Femseven sequi. After having two weeks of not being able to get them to stick, I took advice from your ladies' experiences and the next two patches stuck fine, but I then came out in an allergic rash under the patch which by the end became so itchy. I am now left with three large itchy rashes on my bum - lovely! A duty doctor gave me Everol sequi and I have just replaced the first patch which again has left a rash, although not too itchy. I left it on for four days and found I seriously declined in mood after 3 1/2 days. I would really be grateful for any input as to whether I am allergic to the adhesive or the hormones themselves. I have seen many think Estradot patch together with Utrogestan tablets is the way to go, but would I still be allergic to the patch (although I understand they are much smaller). Any advice would be great as I am seriously wondering where I go from here. Sorry to have rambled on for so long!  :(

Sunnydays

Re: Allergy to patches?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 09:33:17 PM »

HI Grumpy mum,
I found that the first 2/3 weeks my skin under the patch itched terribly and there are other posts somewhere on here from other ladies who have had the same (not all users of this patch though) and I understood what they meant about looking like a giraffe. I did find that the itching eased and the outline of the patch went down after about a week, rather than taking 2 weeks.
Something strange did happen though - at about 6 weeks when I experienced severe headaches (which led me to remove the patch and not return to them again) I started getting itchy skin where the patches had been weeks before and big red marks came up in the shape of the patch. It was one more reason why I felt it just couldn't be suiting me.
There is another patch of a medium dose that I understand from other posts is smaller and doesn't seem to irritate. It can also be cut in half unlike Femseven.

Grumpymum

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 10:27:54 AM »

Hi Sunnydays and thanks for your response. Doesn't sound like you have had a good experience with patches. I am awaiting a phone call from drs as I really don't know what to do - try these Everol patches a little longer (as they are not as itchy as Femseven), try Estradot (as you say, it is smaller), try an estrogen cream - or give up and go back to tablets and suffer! Feel I am starting to obsess about this now and become a bore! Hopefully doctor will help.

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 12:07:33 PM »

Grumpymum we can all obsess about things when we don't feel right. Let us know how you get on.
I know it's different but I tried nicotine patches last year and I felt like clawing my arm off it was all red and sore, put me off HRT patches in case they done the same so took tablet form and little bit of stomach irritation to begin with, just can't win  :D x

Grumpymum

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 02:27:09 PM »

Thanks Millykin for your kind words and encouragement. I'm going to keep trying these Everol patches for a while longer and see if the irritation worsens. I'll update soon.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »

Hi Grumpymum

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear about the skin irritation.  As a long term Estradot user, these are so much smaller than the other patches - minute in fact - so the area of skin that could be irritated is very small. I also think the adhesvie is slightly different for each product although I would imagine there must be a common ingredient that makes them stick!

I have sensitive skin although have never come out in a rash like you describe although could easily have set up an irritation sometimes as I can feel it itching. I have a policy of never ever scratching the site where the patch is/was applied, even if I can/could feel it itching! Also peeling off the patch very slowly (a bit like with sticking plasters). As I said the patch is so small that you might be OK with these even if not with the Evorel.

Hurdity x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:00:49 PM »

Grumpymum
You can use oestrogen in a gel form - I've used this for many years.  Check out the HRT Preparations section on this site. You just spread it on your inner thighs once or twice a day and you can adjust the dose according to your needs.  You just need to use a separate progesterone like Utrogestan for part of the month to bring a withdrawal bleed to protect your womb lining.  We are all different and it'a both finding the HRt that suits you. DG x

Grumpymum

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 07:49:58 PM »

Thanks Hurdity and Dancinggirl for your support. I'm hoping that, if I have to give up on the Everol, then my doctor will let me try Estradot or gel with the separate progesterone. :)

Grumpymum

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 02:36:25 PM »

Thought I would update on my current situation and pose a few more questions. I'm now on week 4 of the Evorel sequi and just starting a bleed. I'm still getting an allergic rash to these though much less than the femseven, maybe due to changing them twice weekly.

I have today spoken with a doctor who commented that you can apply Beconase nasal spray on the patch site before applying patch to minimise any allergic reaction. I just wondered what people thought of that?!

My second problem/query is now I have been on the norethisterone for a week, my mood has taken a nose dive. Nearly started crying during the doctor's phone call as she was being rather unhelpful to start with. Usual pmt symptoms of forgetfulness, boobs like melons, headache, irritable etc. So much so I want to take the patch off now!!

Anyway sorry to drone on, but I can't understand how I can have used norethisterone is the past to delay my period (for holidays) and at a much higher dose without any serious side effects, but now only having been on HRT norethisterone for a week at a smaller dose how can it make me feel like this.

The doctor finally agreed to try me on Estradot patches and Utrogestan tablets (for 12 days) to see how I got on with this regime. I'm pinning my hopes on it working. I'm fed up with HRT worries taking over my life! I'll start new regime as soon as the chemist gets them in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I seem to spend a lot of time reading various threads on here, so much useful information and advice. Thank you all.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 08:27:10 PM »

Hi Grumpymum

Sorry to hear you are still struggling!

I can't comment on the Beconase spray but usually the advice is to apply patches to clean dry skin without any products as this can affect the absorption - I can't imagine how the constituents in the Beconase will react with the Estradiol too! My intuitive reaction would be a no-no - - but I know nothing about the chemical reaction if any between the two active ingredients. Maybe you could perhaps spray it on afterwards if you have a mild allergic reaction?

Regarding the Estradot - you may find it is not an issue because the patch is so very small so not much skin area to cover.

I don't understand about the norethisterone either. I reacted to it on Evorel patches ( when I first started HRT - and had to change), but last summer I had to take a 12 day course to clear out my womb lining ( as I am on a long cycle) and I didn't react at all to it while taking it, although after stopping it I got reactive hypoglycaemia (sudden drop in low blood sugar) - and the hunger/shakes/sweats for a couple of weeks.

I really hope the new regime works for you - you can't get more natural than that! Hopefully any negative effects on the progesterone part will be mild and not debilitating so that you generally feel better overall - we can't hope for more than that  :)

Hurdity x

Grumpymum

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 09:09:03 PM »

Thanks Hurdity. I agree with you about the Beconase, I found it rather hard to believe. I think I might mention it to a pharmacist and see what they think. Here's hoping the new regime works.  :)

Suzyq

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 02:12:30 AM »

Hi grumpy mum

I use estradot and am usually allergic to everything under the sun, but absolutely no problems with these! They stick well and are very small so hopefully you will get on ok with them! I would have thought an oral anti-histamine would be a better bet!