Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: PMT - help  (Read 2581 times)

peri

PMT - help
« on: March 23, 2015, 06:23:30 PM »

Hi

I haven't been on for a while as I got myself evorel 50 patches and ultrogestan (which I take vaginally) after researching and talking to the ladies on here.  I really thought it was the best regime for me and I've been happy on it, except recently I've had a return of horrendous PMT.  It starts a few days before my period and doesn't go until the worst of the bleeding is over about 2/3 days in.  I seriously feel as though I go offside during this time, I'm emotional, irrational and cry a lot.  It's almost as if its too much of a trauma for my body to have a period. The rest of the month I'm fine.  I would appreciate any suggestions as I don't really want to switch my regime which is otherwise working.  Hoping for some help.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: PMT - help
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:35:15 PM »

If your HRT regime is working, stick with it.

I was advised by the National Association of Pre-menstrual Syndrome to eat regularly, i.e. every 3 hours 24/7.  The idea is that if the body is hungry then we get dreadful dips = anxiety, anger, nausea, tiredness - so a good carbohydrate diet i.e. grazing can help.  Certainly it saved my Life.  The idea is not to increase what we eat but to spread the diet across the 24 hours.

I had a puppy at the time: if I got up to let her out in the early hours she soon learnt that there was a biscuit on my side of the bed  ;D and there might be 1 for her too  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 10:50:40 PM »

I found this helpful too.  Find I need slightly more food in the 24 hours before I start, or I tend to get wobbly & dizzy.

Anything that helps with general relaxation - baths, gentle exercise especially walking in daylight. 

Sometimes just acknowledging that it is my hormones making me feel awful helps.  Sounds daft, but I find that reminding myself that the tearfulness, anxiety, anger etc is not 'real' even though it feels like it is makes it less difficult.  I'm not naturally someone who cries a lot, so when I started crying for no reason (couple of days before my period in the past, but since peri-meno it can hit any time  >:( ), at first I got really upset at being upset!  Now I tell myself it's not me, it's the menopause and it puts it into perspective. 

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 11:55:06 AM »

I wish I could cry …….. would clear my feelings a bit  :-\

Eat Girl Eat!

peri

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »

That's me Dorothy upset at being upset.  I'll try to talk to myself, maybe mark it in the calendar so my husband can take cover (lol). I do feel better CLKD when I eat regularly but it's a constant struggle not to go up to the next dress size - I could eat anything when I was younger.  In the meantime I've made an appointment to see my GP and I'm going to ask to be referred to a menopause clinic just in case I'm missing something.

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 02:59:25 PM »

One doesn't eat more but the idea is to spread healthy food choices over 24/7  ;)