Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Anti mullerian hormone peri  (Read 3324 times)

dogdoc

Anti mullerian hormone peri
« on: March 23, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »

Wondering if anyone in perimenopause has had this test done? It's generally a fertility test but it may be able to predict time to menopause as well, and more accurately than FSH.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23316087

I'm torn. If I get the test and its super low it might mean I don't have much longer to full meno and maybe a reduction in some of the drastic cycling, but if it's normal it might mean I'll be in this for another decade. So torn.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anti mullerian hormone peri
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:56:10 AM »

If you know you will be able to consider options.  Have a read of the menus, top of screen?  I don't think any 'test' is able to predict with any accuracy as we are so different  ;)

Most ladies take HRT to ease symptoms. I have been very lucky in that apart from vaginal atrophy I haven't required medication as my menopause hasn't given me symptoms that last too long.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:57:15 AM »

When it comes to the peri meno stage I doubt any testing will actually predict when the peri stage will end.  The body is still a mystery in many ways. 
If you are finding long, heavy periods are a real problem but you still don't get any flushes, night sweats etc. then it may be worth having a Mirena fitted as this will reduce any bleeding and make the bleeds actually stop in time.  If you then develop flushes etc as you descend closer into meno then you can just add some oestrogen. Many gynaecologists are very keen on the Mirena because it often solves the cycle and bleeding problems so many women suffer with through peri meno and even beyond into post meno to protect the uterus.  Minimal progesterone is absorbed into the body so, in theory, gives fewer side effects. DG x

dogdoc

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 03:51:35 PM »

Amh is a relatively 'new' test in this regard. The studies are only published over last year or two. Apparently more accurate and reliable. I have severe symptoms so went for the hrt without 'knowing' where I am on the train. So far helping.

But I'd love to know if I've got 2 years left or 10 or more :(

I'm on ultogestan right now... Going to see how my body likes progestetone before I go to mirena. :)
Tara

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 04:03:05 PM »

Tara - >wave<  keep us up to date with how you are going on!  Would you feel more at ease if you knew that even though it might be 10 years still to 'run', of those 10 years were symptoms free ?

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »

There is information on this website ( last paragraph on link) about AMH
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diagnose.php

Recently, measurement of Anti Mullerian Hormone (AMH) is being recommended in women who are commencing fertility treatment. AMH is produced from the egg cells in the ovaries and the more egg cells that are remaining, the higher the level will be. This can be helpful in assessing the likelihood of success of fertility treatment, and in helping choose the dose of drug to be used to stimulate the ovaries. It is not routinely used to diagnose menopause, when the level will be very low, but can be helpful if the diagnosis is unclear.

Also that paper I linked to about stages of reproductive ageing also mentions it:
http://www.imsociety.org/downloads/email_downloads/2012_02_16_1773491/straw10.pdf

It's impossible to cut and paste as it's pdf so would take ages to reformat, but basically AMH is low during late reproductive stage (just before peri starts) and this occurs even before changes in FSH. Also mentions follicle counts too which are low.

If it's available to you - well if it is fairly accurate seems like a good thing - and would help many women at this stage - who are having shorter cycles and symptoms but not knowing what to do or whether their symptomns are due to hormones.

Hurdity x

Poppyflower

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 07:01:18 PM »

I have had mine tested and it was in the very low range <0.3. My gyne, due to my age of 42 was reluctant to chalk all my symptoms to perimenopause, and then results came back and I was told likely full menopause in the next couple years. Very few follicles left, therefore all most done, I was also told that this is very reliable in regards to nothing really affecting results, even if currently taking hormones while on it. So, there you have it, I do not think a lot of places test for it, however I was fairly insistent to her that my symptoms were hormone related and she did reluctantly check everything. The whole thing is incredibly frustrating, but keep advocating for yourself!

dogdoc

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to give it a go.

Symptom free would be great :)
Tara.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 08:18:21 PM »

Anixety free would be great too  :'( ……….