Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Conservatory roof blinds  (Read 8089 times)

bramble

Conservatory roof blinds
« on: March 15, 2015, 08:39:29 PM »

Has anyone got them and do they 'keep it cool in summer and warmer in winter'?

Bramble

groundhog

Re: Conservatory roof blinds
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:56:02 PM »

Hello Bramble
We have a conservatory with a glass roof .  It's great until the temperature tops 27 degrees and then it's too hot but on saying that if it's that hot we are usually put the garden.   We had a quote for blinds and it was ridiculous - £5000!  So we didn't bother.  But the reason had a glass roof in the first place was the consefvTory made my living room dingy so we replaced our polycarbonate roof with glass  -  so another reason we have opted to not have blinds as we thought it would take some of the brightness away. 
Just realise my reply has been of absolutely no help at all!  Hope someone else will be along soon xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 09:20:47 PM »

We haven't a conservatory ………  ;)

We did however paint the greenhouse glass in the Summer  :P

bramble

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 09:32:10 PM »

Not an option CLKD for a conservatory!

B

littleminnie

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:36:35 AM »

We used to have a conservatory and for about a month a year it was great (about April/May).  Other than that, it was either too hot in summer(even with 5 windows open full and blinds) Or cold in winter (even with 2 double radiators). Had it knocked down and made it into an extension with velux windows.   

bramble

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 01:22:12 PM »

But did it have roof blinds Littleminnie?

B.

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 01:29:38 PM »

No roof blinds. Tinted roof. Did consider roof blinds but like you said, very expensive.  Cheaper to change it into a proper room. Lol

ariadne

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:43:27 PM »

We have a small conservatory which leads into our dining room and the door has to be left open so the cat can access the cat flap which is in one of the conservatory panels.  It got so cold in the winter with the door to the conservatory open from the dining room - it was like an ice box! I kept trying to find ways to keep it warm - there is a radiator plus there was a small electric wall heater as well but they didnt keep it warm.

Anyway to cut a long story short I suggested to hubby a suspended ceiling like you get in offices. He bought the materials from a local supplier and filled the space above the tiles with insulation. Well you wouldnt believe the difference! Lovely and warm in winter and a lot cooler in summer too.

I must point out that we were advised that technically it means the conservatory is no longer a conservatory as the roof must be glass. But to my way of thinking, this is easily removeable should it pose any planning type problems.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 07:59:18 PM »

;D  ……  :catscratch:  ………  :cat88: ……….  :cat48: - she's got you sorted then  ;)

ariadne

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 08:21:09 PM »

Yes,  she definitely considers the conservatory "her" room  ;D

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 08:30:06 PM »

:-*

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 10:23:46 PM »

We had the same conservatory problem. Roasting in summer and freezing in winter. In less you heated it it grew black mould. No easy answer. My mother has one with a dwarf wall....well half wall really, seems to make a difference, warmer and no damp.

Honeybun
X