Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mebeverine  (Read 7484 times)

Mrs Bennet

Mebeverine
« on: March 16, 2015, 07:56:15 PM »

Hello,  has anyone had any success taking Mebeverine for anxiety induced diarrhea really am at the end of my tether will become agoraphobic if i'm not careful : (  xxx

honeybun

Re: Mebeverine
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 08:06:16 PM »

It's an anti spasmodic but not all that sure it actually stops the runs.

I have used it for IBS but did not have much success to be honest. But of course we are all different.
Has your GP sent you for any tests. Mine suggested ADs as she said there is a clear link between anxiety and the gut.

Have you tried Immodium just to calm things down.

It's such a rotten thing to have and you have my sympathy as I know just how bad it can get.

I use herbal drops which do work well for me. Not being able to trust yourself to get out of the house is so limiting.

Sorry it's just questions, but what else have you tried.

:hug:

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 08:06:43 PM »

Nope.  Is your 'runs' anxiety related to being out and about away from your own bathroom?  I HATE being away from mine 'in case' ………

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 08:09:56 PM »

Sometimes my life is ruled by those little words....

In case

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »

Yep.  When we were in Lewes in October for DH's birthday I had a really bad morning - probably due to not eating the previous day ……..  :-\ ……… my lower belly began to gripe and my bowel wanted to open 'now'  >:( - so we had to dash back the 2 mile walk to the B&B and trying to explain why  :-X - came home to our bathroom  :'(     Bu…r it ……… has put me off going far to be honest.

tiger74

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 08:23:57 PM »

Mebeverine was prescribed to me for unexplained bowel frequency - it made no difference.  Turns out that my frequency was related to (then) undiagnosed Grave's Disease. Thankfully gastro consultant also thought to do thyroid function test and - eureka! problem solved.

Sorry cannot be more encouraging about this medication. I hope it works for you, Mrs Bennet.

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »

Have been to the docs on many occasions with regard to this problem was prescribed ADs which made matters worse, have had a bad couple of years stress wise making symptoms spiral out of control. Tried every thing Propranalol, Imodium most days, numerous herbal remedies mint capsules  mint tea the list goes on and on. I had a course with a psychotherapist which did help a little at the time...3 months ago now. I only have to think about going out and it starts  :'( help!!!!   xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »

It's anxiety.  If you watch a bird fly away in alarm it will let pooh go as it takes off.  Other animals defecate as they run away.  So this type of anxiety goes back to our Cave Man days, knowing that doesn't help my gut settle though.  I was OK whilst in the loo [didn't go] in Lewes but the moment I stepped out my bowel began to agitate …….. hence the speedy return to the B&B.

Making sure that you go before you leave the house, I now get out of bed earlier than usual if we are out and about as I find that I need to go a couple of times ……. and if necessary, wearing a protective 'pad' might help?

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 08:40:12 PM »

Protective pad that's about the only thing I haven't got in my armory  ;D  just thought if I took an anti spasmodic I might not get the runs in the first place....if you see what I mean  ;D  I just think there is no hope and I will end up house bound  :'(  not really feeling sorry for myself.....ok I am xxxx

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 08:49:50 PM »

When is the problem at it's worst?  For me morning is bad ……. gut rolling unless I've been to the loo, I have to check that I feel empty before I venture to the shops but know that there are toilets there.  In the countryside isn't as easy …….. unless we walk somewhere really remote.  As the day goes by and I know that my bowel is empty I can go further.

Maybe re-Plan your day according to how you are?  Also, I never let cupboards etc. run low so that I don't *have* to go shopping  ;).  When I did begin to recover I started by going to the shops, looking along the shelves and leaving before anxiety started - my biggest worry then of course, was having my shoulder felt for shop lifting  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »

Have you tried Tormentil herbal drops. They really work for me. My sister also uses them as she has problems after having her gall bladder removed.

Immodium is also good, did you ask your GP if you could use them.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 09:04:05 PM »

You are keeping your sense of humour  :D

I am worse if I don't know where the loo is ……. Honeybun - e-mail the name of the drops perhaps? ta!

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »

Have you tried Tormentil herbal drops. They really work for me. My sister also uses them as she has problems after having her gall bladder removed.

Immodium is also good, did you ask your GP if you could use them.

Honeybun

Yep have got Tormentil  made me feel sick however think I took too much at once. I use Imodium most days xx
X

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »

Immodium won't allow your gut and bowel to settle though …… maybe go back to bland foods and slow release energy meals.  Stop the Immodium. 

Mrs Bennet

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 09:08:16 PM »

Always know where the nearest loo is google before I go any where , how sad is that   ;D  be sure if there is a McDonalds there is a loo....xx
Pages: [1] 2