Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Trouble downstairs!!  (Read 6182 times)

jasmine5

Trouble downstairs!!
« on: March 14, 2015, 09:49:16 PM »

For the last few months I've been suffering with iching downstairs which is driving me insane!  I've tried Ovestin cream which made me burn and Vagifem pessaries which seemed to make the itching worse!  I've also used Sylk, Yes, coconut oil and I've been treated for thrush several times  although I'm sure that I didnt have it.  I'm now at my wits end!  I dont have a discharge but just inside things look very red and even with the slightest touch I am aware that the skin is very sensitive.  If I do give in and scratch my skin will split like a sort of paper cut and is very, very sore.  Sex is totally out of the question!  Sorry to be so graphic but I'm desperate!

Gp says its slight Atrophy but if its 'slight' how can I be so uncomfortable and why didn't the hrt creams sort it?   I already take Femseven 50 which has sorted out my other hrt symptoms so why not this one?

Jas

Jenna

Re: Trouble downstairs!!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »

Maybe you could try Estriol (previously called Gynest) cream as it is not as strong as Ovestin, and hopefully wouldn't burn.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 10:30:25 PM »

Local oestrogen treatment needs to be used regularly to really help. I'd try Vagifem again and try to stick with it  for the first couple of weeks every day and then at least twice a week after that.  It sounds like a bit bacterial vaginitis causing the itching and soreness.  Unfortunately the dryness that happens with the meno make the area far more open to infections etc.  There are gels like Hyalofemme or Multi Gyn Actigel that help to keep the flora balance in the vagina slightly acidic, which is what it should be, and this helps to prevent BV and thrush occurring.  It will often sooth itching as well.  DG x

Maryjane

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 07:36:14 AM »

Also get it checked for LS Lichen Scerlosis ( not everyone has the White areas ).

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »

How long did you use Vagifem for jasmine? During the first few weeks it can cause thrush but this does settle down.

Taz x

robotwars

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »

I have the same problem, I posted on here yesterday and jenna recommended Yes cream.... was thinking of trying it, someone also suggested taking a  antihistamine, was thinking of trying that too..... Good luck :)  I will try anything at the moment....

jasmine5

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 04:19:36 PM »

Thanks all
Taz - I used the Vagifem as directed once daily for two weeks then twice a week thereafter.  Perhaps I did have thrush in that case?  I was really prone to thrush in my younger days too.  Ive stopped using the Vagifem now, just using a little Ovestin cream on the outer bits.  I also tried the Multi Gyn Actigel but it burnt like mad!

I'm so confused as I don't know which symptoms are caused by the menopause and which are caused by the hrt creams/gels?

Jas x

Jenna

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 04:38:38 PM »

Hi robotwars and jasmine,

If you do try 'Yes' vaginal moisturiser, make sure it's the water-based one - it's a gel and also pH balanced so should help prevent thrush, as well as being very soothing.

Also plain live bio yoghurt is very calming on itchy/sore bits, whether it's to treat thrush or not!

Hope this helps and please let us know how you get on!

Jenna x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »

Good advice Jenna
jasmine - I know what you mean.  There doesn't seem any rhythm or reason to controlling this burning and itching.  It is meno related because vaginal and bladder problems tend to emerge as the oestrogen levels drop.  Oestrogen helps to maintain a healthy bladder and vagina. The oestrogen treatments seem to have additives or binders that can often irritate already sensitive skin.  I have suffered terribly with a burning urethra on and off for over 15 years. You do need to drink enough fluids each day and make sure you really empty your bladder when passing urine. As soon as I feel the area is burning or itchy I use a big dollop of Multi Gyn to prevent things getting worse - it usually works.  You may have to experiment with other things like Hylaofemme to see what works for you.
I do think one needs to keep using the oestrogen treatment internally to help maintain the vaginal area.  I have used Multi Gyn for many years because, though it can sting a bit, it does seem to relieve symptoms of burning and itching and will often clear up early signs of thrush etc.  I don't think using a bit of oestrogen cream around the external area is going to help you enough.  I'm afraid it is an ongoing regular regime that can keep things under control.  Things have been much better for me since I started systemic HRT again alongside the Vagifem twice a week and Mulit gyn every night after the shower.
Good luck   DG x

Maryjane

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 06:27:17 PM »

If you mix the yes oil based and the multigyn together in the palm of your hand with a cotton bud....then there is no stinging ouch.

SueRoe

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »

You could try E45 Itch Relief cream. I've used it on my bits and it has helped with the itch but isn't a cure for the cause. It doesn't say you shouldn't put it on your bits and I had no probs. Try keeping it in the fridge for an instant relief from the itch.

Jan7612

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 01:13:18 PM »

I hVe been advised to wash only with Aqueous cream, seems to help...

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 04:08:37 PM »

For me it felt like razor blades up there ……… fortunately my GP recognised the symptoms and the prescription eased them!