Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Feedback from ladies on conti Utrogestan please  (Read 3459 times)

Dancinggirl

Feedback from ladies on conti Utrogestan please
« on: March 12, 2015, 12:54:29 PM »

Hi
I have started back on a sequi regime of Oestrogel with Utrogestan.  I've been allowed to just use 100mg for 14 days on a sequi basis (I'm seeing a private gynae and I'm on a low dose of oestrogen). The first progesterone phase only produced a light bleed (lining probably hadn't built up much) but my second Utrogestan phase did produce a proper bleed which was reasuring as I think it must have cleared my lining properly.  The down side for me, at 59, is having a bleed and the nasty cramps that go with it - felt quite rotten for 3 days.  I haven't had any negative side effects from taking the Utrogestan (actually slept better) so I'm now wondering if I should move to taking it continuously.
I need to hear from other ladies about their experience with using Utrogestan continuously please.
DG x

SueRoe

Re: Feedback from ladies on conti Utrogestan please
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 05:47:35 PM »

Dancinggirl, I was prescribed continuous Utrogestan with 50mcg Evorel oestrogen patches. I'm 53. However, my feeling is that in my case continuous Utrogestan wipes out the oestrogen. I think this because my low oestrogen symptoms (itchy flaky skin, low mood, poor sleep and foggy brain) steadily worsen until I've laid off the Utrogestan for a few days. I get no bleeds when I take it continuously and haven't had any bleeding in the short breaks I've taken. I know we have to take progesterone to protect our uterine lining but I suspect the level of progesterone needed to do this job varies according to how much oestrogen a woman is taking - how can it not? - yet we're all given the same dose. For me, I think 100mg Utrogestan cancels out the beneficial effects of the oestrogen when taken continuously so I'm going to take it sequentially from now on and put up with any bleeds that might happen.  Having said all this, in your position of feeling rotten when you have a bleed I would try the conti option and see if you can rid yourself of those pesky periods. Do you need to speak to your GP first? Hope this helps.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 06:08:07 PM »

Thank you Freda - another example of us all being so different. I'm using about 1.5 pumps per day of Oestrogel which is quite low dose - it's just enough to keep my meno flushes etc under control.   The phases where I've used both Oestrogel and Utrogestan I've slept much better and felt good during the day, whereas on Oestrogen alone I still don't sleep that well.  I am generally sleeping much better than I did when not on any HRT. My mood is generally much better as well as I'm not so tired all the time. It sounds to me as though Utrogestan doesn't really suit you - have you tried anything else?  You are younger than I am so have more options. If I'm to use HRT for the longer term I feel I need to find the kindest combination and Utrogestan is bio identical so therefore kinder.  I know many women find Femoston really good but that only comes in pill form which is a shame.
I'm seeing my GP in a couple weeks to discuss my options.
Thanks again.  DG x

Kittyjay

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 06:13:54 PM »

Hi DG- I've been taking utrogestan continuously for a few months and the only downside I've found is tiredness. That said I've found my anxiety and panic attacks have disappeared, so I'd rather feel happy but knackered than suffer with the awful anxiety that was plaguing my daily life.
I still get a monthly bleed at the moment (had scan in dec to check all ok and despite a few small fibroids all good) so doc not concerned as it's not 'suspicious' - prob just natural hormones breaking through. The most recent plus side is I've found a tiny flickering of libido creeping back!!
i have no boob soreness either which I had terribly on femseven sequi. I take it vaginally apart from when I'm bleeding as I'm too squeamish for that! I definitely feel I'm on an even keel taking it continuously rather than the hormone roller coaster that sequi did to my body/emotions etc xx ps I use estradot 50 and 100 utrogestan at night

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 06:28:22 PM »

Thank you Kittyjay
Very helpful. DG x

Cassie

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 06:45:39 PM »

KJ....using it continuosly vaginally for 28 days or so per month, do you not find that it causes a bit of irirtation, itching etc down below....

Kittyjay

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »

Hi Cassie- nope no irritation whatsoever! Hope it continues this way....... :) x

Cassie

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 07:54:18 PM »

Fantastic, holding thumbs for you as well x