Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: morning depression.  (Read 8283 times)

honorsmum

morning depression.
« on: March 12, 2015, 09:40:03 AM »

When I first started to get symptoms of perimenopause, I'd wake up very early with palpitations and anxiety. This has mostly gone now - I still get a racing heart at times and background anxiety, but it's manageable.
Recently (the last week or so), I've started to wake up at around 6am and feel depressed. It's really not very nice - I go to bed feeling absolutely fine, but wake up with a sense of hopelessness. It lingers until I get up, and then fades. I'd say I feel better and better as the day goes on - maybe not feeling as good as I did this time last year, but ok.

Could it be hormones causing it? It started the week leading up to my period, and now I'm on day 3 and it's still happening.

I haven't started the oestrogen gel yet, and definitely don't want to go on antidepressants.

honorsmum

Re: morning depression.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 10:19:47 AM »

Hi Sparkle,

When I was waking up, heart racing, adrenaline pumping, it was always immediately after a dream, yes.
But the low mood feeling seems to come on when I wake up naturally. I feel ok for a few minutes and then it's like the full weight of the world hits me and a cloud comes down. It doesn't linger once I'm fully awake and up for the day, although you're right - it does cast a bit of a shadow over my mood if I dwell on it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 10:35:22 AM by honorsmum »

Sazduggs

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »

I get exactly the same!! It's horrid, I had it this morning, low level anx and palps, and just a feeling of doom and misery, I feel much better within an hour of getting up and I'm now absolutly fine by lunch

It must be hormones, I have only had it since christmas when I was put into menopause and started estrogen, it's not everyday though

Xxx

TropicalVon69

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 04:09:00 PM »

Hi HM...maybe it could be a sort of adrenaline crash if you've been having palps and sweats through the night?....just an idea x

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 04:41:02 PM »

Does it improve when you eat?
Low blood sugar................

SueRoe

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 05:25:30 PM »

I'm with Limpy on this - does the feeling fade after you've had breakfast? I can feel very down if I get hungry. If I wake in the night (ha ha - when don't  I?!) I have something to eat, something fatty not sweet - full fat milk or a very plain biscuit with a bit of butter on. This can make a huge difference to my mood and might help you too - I hope so.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 08:18:01 AM »

How about a sad light?

nelliedee

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 02:09:23 PM »

I am looking at these sad lights as my depressions  seem linked to early part of the year. You can hire before you buy x

dazned

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 02:24:31 PM »

Don't know if you hire but you can buy bulbs,maybe try a couple of those. My friend whose son suffers hardly with clinical depression has them in his bedroom says they work for him but I don't know personally. Maybe ask the question in a new topic see if anyone has experience of them ?

dazned

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 03:13:39 PM »

Sorry should read badly not hardly  :-\

nelliedee

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 06:53:49 PM »

I didn't know you could buy the bulbs so thanks for that I will have a look. The sad lamps I looked at online started at £199 or hire from £38 a month
Hope your feeling a little better x

dazned

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 07:19:48 PM »

I'm a bit thanks,although after today's go visit( desperate post ) iam absolutely livid !!!  >:(

I can't wait to get really well again,or stable then I'm going to really go to town at my surgery !  ;D

SallyG

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 06:16:51 AM »

Hi Ladies, yes I have the anxiousness on waking (invariably early 4.30 - 5) and then worry about being able to face the day.I do eventually snap out of it but it isn't the best way to start everyday. :'(
However, I do think it was winter doom and Im going to try a SAD lamp. I have started a meditation course at my local church which is helping and people have already noticed a change in my mood. I fancy trying the buttered biscuit. Yum.
Hugs
Sally

TropicalVon69

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 07:31:45 AM »

I got one from Amazon....I think it was around £50 x

nelliedee

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 07:56:06 AM »

Even better x
Pages: [1] 2