Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Blood test on birth control  (Read 1762 times)

Millykin

Blood test on birth control
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:07:04 AM »

Right ladies in the know..
My friend is on mini pill contraception and has been complaining of lack of periods lately, feeling hot, bit anxious you know the usual we are going through! Her GP is going to do some bloods to check to see if she is peri meno. Can this be done while on contraception? She asked me but I don't know, the only thing I could tell her was they can be unreliable and most GPs go on symptoms, so now I'm asking you, will it interfere with results?

Thanks ladies x

BrightLight

Re: Blood test on birth control
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:12:30 AM »

I have no experience, but logic says if it contains estrogen or progesterone yes it would.

wombat62

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:26:18 AM »

Hi

With some mini pills you may not get a period anyway especially as you get more into it but the hot flushes is a good indicator! My doc said I had to be off the pill for a month for a better reading, that reading came through as post! However, things must have still be up and down as I had a period 18 months later and what chaos that caused!

I did have some bloods as I started missing them whilst on the combo pill (still quite youngish) and doc said natural hormones were a bit low but not sure how they can tell!

Best thing would be to have another test a month or so later to compare.

lancashirelass

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 08:37:23 AM »

If she is.on the mini pill prog only an oestrogen blood test will be fine.  Combined pill cannot have bloods would have to come off it.