Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Femoston 1/5  (Read 2398 times)

MandyRut

Femoston 1/5
« on: March 11, 2015, 12:35:24 AM »

Hi all

I am new to this forum, so this is my first post. I started HRT when I was 32 (I am now 40) and decided to stop about a year ago, but the weight gain and mood swings got the better of me, so two months ago I was started on Femosten 1/5. The doctor said that this drug is designed to stop monthly bleeding. Any idea how long it can take for the bleeding to stop? Since I started taking it I have heavy spotting for a week, off for a week, a period for a week, off for a week, and repeat  :). Also, it feels like my emotions are really heightened since i started taking the medication. is that normal? any input will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards
Mandy

Dancinggirl

Re: Femoston 1/5
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:36:30 AM »

Hand welcome to MM MandyRut
Femoston 1/5 is quite a low dose for someone of your age.  I had an early menopause which started in my mid 30s so I've been on and off HRT for the last 20 years - I've tried just about everything.
I am very surprised that your doctor hasn't recommended you stay on a good dose of HRT until at least 50 - (51-53 is the average age of menopause) and to be deficient in oestrogen before that time could cause long term problems for your heart and bones.
Mood swings and weight gain are common with the menopause and I assume you are now post meno - meaning you haven't had a natural period for over 2years? If you were still having the occasional natural bleed during your year out from HRT then Femoston 1/5 is not appropriate yet. You would need to stick to a sequential HRT until post meno.  I am 59 and still use a sequential HRT.
Femoston is a good HRT to try as the progesterone is kinder and well tolerated by many.  Having said this many women do find progesterone of any kind does not suit them if they use it on a continuous basis, this is why many of us keep to a sequential version of HRT (which will bring a monthly bleed) well into post meno.
Going back to your question - it is to be expected that you will get some break through bleeding for the first 3-6 months after starting a continuous HRT and after that you shouldn't get any bleeding. I am not an expert but if you want to get the full benefit from HRT I really think you may need to up the dose as the dose in 1/5 may not be enough to help your mood etc. Possibly moving to the sequential version might be a better option as well.
What HRT did you use before and why did you decide to stop?
DG x
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 08:49:02 AM by Dancinggirl »