Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Dental dilemma  (Read 5931 times)

Joyce

Dental dilemma
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:48:27 PM »

6 months ago I went for my usual hygienist appointment after seeing dentist. Normal hygienist on maternity leave, so this was someone covering her maternity leave. It was most horrendous visit ever! She scraped so hard I thought my teeth would break. It was painful & I thought it would never end. My gums bled a lot. Ended up in discomfort for a few days afterwards with ulcers.

My next check up is due & I have made appointment to see dentist, but not hygienist for obvious reasons. I want to speak with dentist about hygienist. Today, son was over & was speaking about his traumatic visit to hygienist. I'd told him a while back, but I think he thought I was kidding. He said he'll never go back to hygienist as long as she is still there.  He ended up with a very sore mouth & ulcers too for about a week.

I struggled as a child with a particular dentist, who was a butcher! Took my mum ages to get me back in a dentist's chair again. I have been fine up until now with dentists. Don't like them, but know I need to go.

My question is this. We have Denplan cover. Will they stop our policies if we refuse to see hygienist?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Dental dilemma
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »

Nowadays things that we expect to be covered under the NHS apparently aren't.  Years ago my Dentist did it all: check up, hygiene clean and polish, advice ………..   I refuse to pay Denplan, we pay as we go for treatment required.  Many years ago I had a b***ch of a hygienist and swore I would never go to 1 again …….. I have dreadfully crocked teeth that take a LOT of care ……. so I use Tee-pee sticks etc. as well as a scraper with a slight bend so I can get between and behind those difficult places. if the gums bleed it 's a site for possible infection.  Several times a day  ::).  It is the gums that need particular attention as we get gums that recede with age  :-\ …… but no treatment should cause ulcers!  Fortunately the Hygeniest he employs 3 times a week is very good.

Speak with your Dental Surgeon, if you don't tell him he won't know!  Have a look at your Denplan to see what you are covered for.  You pay for treatment, but that treatment needs to be satisfactory.  You may well be able to go to a hygienist not associated with your Dental Practice if necessary under a private policy as I don't think they are tied-in with a particular Surgery?

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 02:15:40 PM »

I will be speaking to dentist, for sure.  We had no option but to go with Denplan. At that time folk were queuing outside NHS practices trying to get on their books. Nearest to us then was about 16 miles away & not terribly accessible by public transport.

I honestly felt she was overly zealous with her cleaning. Son said he was sure she was trying to pull his teeth out, it was so painful. In fact I have one tooth which was fairly smooth & now feels as if it has been stripped of its enamel.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »

Definitely show this particular tooth to the Dentist.  Over-zealous it sounds like! but not to be tolerated.  Having been conned by Denplan many years ago we decided to pay as we go when our Dentist went 'private'.  But the Practice still taks on NHS patients but not that Dentist  >:(