Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: crazy weight fluctuations (on long term HRT)  (Read 3866 times)

oldsheep

crazy weight fluctuations (on long term HRT)
« on: March 05, 2015, 10:26:04 AM »

didn't eat much yesterday but weigh 1kg more today (2.2lbs) than I did yesterday and feel elephant like. This happens regularly (fairly recently).
I put up with a weight gain of 6kgs from peri meno 10 years ago to now, chucked out clothes etc and had learnt to live with the 'new' me.
I used to weigh 53kgs, now generally weigh around 59, but this morning was over 60kg and fat.  Is this fluid retention?
I fuss a bit because well, I fuss, and also my kidney function is stage 2 (whatever: GP not worried) and I drank a LOT of rooibos tea yesterday so was worried kidneys aren't flushing it all, but then again, most things have been meno related.

I'm on HRT, Evorel 75 patches, 100mg Utrogestan daily and Vagifem.

Was going out for coffee and cake with a much younger friend, now looks like just coffee.
Is this dramatic weight gain from one day to the next quite common or should I be looking for 'reasons'? I asked at the meno clinic and they said HRT can't put on weight  :o Thanks x

Dorothy

Re: crazy weight fluctuations (on long term HRT)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 11:09:09 AM »

No experience of HRT but I was told there was no evidence that the pill caused weight gain, although I went up a dress size in 2 months after starting it and could gain or lose a couple of inches more or less overnight! Ok, so before I went on the pill I was spending 24 hours a month continuously vomiting, but I'm sure it didn't make that much difference - and I became more active and ate more healthily after going on the pill as I felt well enough to exercise and to cook proper meals...

Are you weighing yourself at the same time every day?  I think you are supposed to weigh yourself first thing in the morning, after visiting the bathroom & before eating or drinking anything to give the most accurate weight comparison.  If you are worried, it is best to get the doctor to check it out, but if HRT is anything like the pill then not surprising to have weight gain and fluctuation. >:(

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 01:55:13 PM »

It sounds more like fluid retention to me.

Perhaps a visit to your GP. They might be able to offer something to help.

They do say you should only weigh yourself once a week.....then you wouldn't notice the fluctions and get a clearer picture.

Honeybun
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »

Yes, if it bothers you to see fluctuations of weight or if you are trying to lose weight, weigh yourself once a week at the same time and wearing the same kind of clothing or nothing at all.

I tend to weigh myself when I'm waiting for the hot water to find its way to the shower. My weight fluctuates up and down from day to day, but often goes up considerably, when I haven't opened my bowels for a day or two. I have IBS. You weigh more at the end of the day as well, which is normal.

I no longer worry about my weight, as I lost 1 and 1/2 st by cutting down sugar and high carb foods. I am on HRT.

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 04:47:07 PM »

Not sure if it's HRT, which I have been on for a very long time. But before I started it I was a size 14, but also a whole lot younger. Now I've managed to get myself down to a size 16 from an 18. Some things I've even got back down to 14. However, most dresses, & shirts have to be 18 still because of my  :boobs: It's annoying.

I lost nearly 2 stones 2 years ago. I've slipped slightly & put on about 6-7lbs, but managing to maintain that more or less. Unfortunately boobs stayed the same size!

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:15:10 PM »

I have never put on any weight on HRT. I did however put on about a stone between 40 and 50.

Guess my metabolism just changed as I got older. I was about a size 8 for most of my adult life and now I'm a 10 but I really have to work at it...ie...don't eat much  ::)

Honeybun
X

oldsheep

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 05:30:58 PM »

thanks everyone. I eat less than I used to and exercise more. I don't weigh myself often, but some days I am just a lot fatter than others, for some weird reason.
I always weigh myself first thing before any breakfast. Can't ask the GP as he'll look at me as if I'm mad. I have mentioned it in passing when seeing him for other things, but I think he thinks middle aged = fatter.

mandy43

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »

I started in Peri 2 years ago and I had just lost 5 stone and was looking great.  Then the Peri hit and my body shape changed:  I went to jelly round the middle and just seemed to take on that middle aged look.  At 42 I wasn't happy.  My boobs, which are big to begin with, went even bigger and despite the continual healthy eating and selling my car so I would have to walk even more (roughly 6 miles a day now) I look fatter and older... I feel your pain ladies, I hate this!! >:(  P.S  I'm not on HRT.

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 04:18:59 PM »

Isn't the ageing process just wonderful?  My lovely old gran used to say we put on weight in our middle age years, so we have something in reserve for those times in our latter years when illness etc can cause weight loss. I'm sticking by that rule!  ;D

oldsheep

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 09:24:16 PM »

I take heart from the fact that even the french women I know - most of whom are skinny wretches - say that their tums get fatter post meno despite only eating their half a sardine and one lettuce leaf a day  ;D