Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: old fashioned sweets  (Read 23633 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: old fashioned sweets
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »

>we'll share <

kerrieann

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2015, 10:05:27 PM »

may need too  ;D

Ju Ju

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 10:18:56 PM »

A quarter of white (chocolate) drops, bought for 3d, my sweetie money. Every week I would go into the local sweet shop and the owner knew what I wanted before I said a word. Always very kind.

kerrieann

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 10:21:09 PM »

proper shop keepers who got to know us, dont get many now, only the local butcher and fruit and veg shop around here

Dorothy

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 08:30:15 AM »

Sherbet lemons, flying saucers, rhubarb and custard sweets.

I used to buy 'lemonade crystals' and eat it 'raw'.

Hattie

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »

A quarter of white (chocolate) drops

A quarter in the small cone shaped paper packet ? My dad used to take is to a local sweet shop once a week on a thursday after primary school and we could choose a quarter from all the jars. I can remember one time choosing Winter Mixture - sticks in my mind as i was warned they would be horrid and they were. Trips to the sweet shop stopped after my sisters teeth went green for some reason.

libby1

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »

Old fashioned wine gums are my favourite, the firm ones, not the soft jelly-like ones you get nowadays  :P

Libby
x

Dulciana

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 10:19:49 AM »

When we were kids, we used to stop off at a newsagent on Sundays after church, for Dad to buy his papers.  The shop was run by a lovely older couple who used to bring out their "penny tray" for the four of us to choose something from, completely free.  This was groaning with flapjacks, mo-jo's, red laces, black laces, sherbert flying saucers, sugar mice, etc. etc. and was the highlight of our Sundays!   :)    Think it could have been the novelty factor of the shop suddenly being invaded by two sets of twins   ::)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:25:25 AM by Dulciana »

holidaylover

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 11:05:23 AM »

My dad and grandad owned a corner shop grocer's.  I remember working there on Saturdays and would weigh out the sweeties in the big set of old fashioned scales the into white paper bags.  I loved toffee Bonbons and lemon bonbons but remember almost chocking with the icing powder (or whatever isn't was). Loved blackcurrant and liquorice and lemon sherbets, although they always made my mouth bleed!  Can you still buy Olde English spangles?  Oh, and anyone remember Oddfellows?

Dulciana

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »

Anyone remember soor plooms?   :P

honorsmum

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 12:35:40 PM »

I went to the oldest sweet shop in England last Friday - in Pateley Bridge. It took me ages to make up my mind- total kid in a sweet shop :D

I bought some sherbet lemons to fill up my Harry Potter sweety jar.

I loved fruit salads, black jacks, shrimps, spangles, cherry lips, dolly mixtures, I could go on  ;D

Galadriel x

I took my children there when we visited my mum in Escrick in the summer. Unfortunately, it was 5 minutes before closing time...can you imagine how painful it was to have to make them choose in a rush??  ;D

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »

Sherbet lemons!  We have a shop in our town that sells a lot of the old sweets, they have them all in jars behind the counter and everytime I go in there it takes me back to being a kid again, sadly the prices don't :o

Dorothy

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »

When we were kids, we used to stop off at a newsagent on Sundays after church, for Dad to buy his papers.  The shop was run by a lovely older couple who used to bring out their "penny tray" for the four of us to choose something from, completely free.  This was groaning with flapjacks, mo-jo's, red laces, black laces, sherbert flying saucers, sugar mice, etc. etc. and was the highlight of our Sundays!   :)    Think it could have been the novelty factor of the shop suddenly being invaded by two sets of twins   ::)

TWO sets of twins?!!!  Sounds like it was your poor parents who should have had the free sweets, to give them energy to cope  ;)

honorsmum

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 06:47:45 PM »

TWO sets of twins?!!!  Sounds like it was your poor parents who should have had the free sweets, to give them energy to cope  ;)

I have 2 friends who both have 2 sets of twins.
One has one of each in both sets - all ivf.
The other has twin girls and twin boys...and also a single boy. :o

I'm a twin, my mum's a twin, and DH' s mum was a twin - the odds aren't looking good for my poor daughter if she decides to have children!  :-X

Dulciana

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »

TWO sets of twins?!!!  Sounds like it was your poor parents who should have had the free sweets, to give them energy to
cope  ;)

I know! Poor things!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11