Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Helpful explanation about peri-menopause  (Read 2569 times)

Taz2

Helpful explanation about peri-menopause
« on: March 04, 2015, 06:58:15 PM »

Having a ramble around the internet just now I came across this article on peri-menopause. I found it quite helpful in the way it explains what happens during this time and wish I'd been able to read something like this twenty years ago when I was definitely peri! http://www.ion.ac.uk/information/onarchives/perimenopause

Taz x

honorsmum

Re: Helpful explanation about peri-menopause
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:06:34 PM »

Really informative article, Taz - thank you for sharing.
I need to start taking my Vitamin B's again - seem to have got out of  habit recently, since feeling better, but felt a bit off today and this article reminded me why.

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:25:40 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  Very interesting.

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »

Had a good read through this very informative thanks x

nelliedee

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:53:02 PM »

Thank you Taz, very informative and just what I needed to read tonight. My boobs stopped feeling tender about 4 years ago and that is when my migraine/headache and feeling hot started so I would say I am 'hopefully' coming to the end of the 2nd phase of perimeno. I have probably been in peri meno for 7 years, no wonder I have been depressed x

Rhubarb

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »

That's a very good article with clear explanations of each of the symptoms.  Seems I'm still in the first phase but starting to have one or two of the second phase symptoms.  Dietary advice and tips are useful to read too. Thanks, Taz!

GeordieGirl

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »

I didn't realise I was menopausal until the doctor did a blood test . I attributed the insomnia, forgetfulness and thinning hair to stress and didn't have many other of the symptoms described in this article, the ones that would have shouted out menopause to me. I suspect this has been due to the the Mirena coil and progestin for a lot of the part, although I do follow a healthy diet. 

I've been discussing this with a number of similar aged friends and am saddened at how many have really suffered and yet had no help from their doctors. who seem to think the 'grin and bear it' approach is the best line....  Really?

GG x

honorsmum

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 10:43:33 AM »

I didn't realise I was menopausal until the doctor did a blood test . I attributed the insomnia, forgetfulness and thinning hair to stress and didn't have many other of the symptoms described in this article, the ones that would have shouted out menopause to me. I suspect this has been due to the the Mirena coil and progestin for a lot of the part, although I do follow a healthy diet. 

I've been discussing this with a number of similar aged friends and am saddened at how many have really suffered and yet had no help from their doctors. who seem to think the 'grin and bear it' approach is the best line....  Really?

GG x

That's if you can get your GP to even acknowledge you have perimenopause symptoms in the first place!
Mine won't - her one nod was to check my FSH, and say that if it indicated menopause, we would gave to have a "serious talk about HRT"...which suggested it wasn't something to be taken lightly.
As it was, my FSH was "normal" and that was the end of the discussion.