Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 45

Author Topic: Dog Breeds  (Read 132038 times)

ellie

Re: Dog Breeds
« Reply #75 on: August 15, 2015, 12:53:16 PM »

Honeybun, that is what is wrong with my girls back legs, the hospital where we took her to have her MRI scan suggested that we have both her legs operated on.....We have decided not to......it's just too much to put her through at her age.....I learnt how to put them back into position when she was a puppy, and then she seemed to grow out of it, otherwise we would have had the operation then.....but  not now, I couldn't do that to her.....
   The MRI scan cost £2-300 !good job she is insured, but isn't that outrageous .

honeybun

« Reply #76 on: August 15, 2015, 01:03:17 PM »

I would not put an older dog through that. Our little one struggled as a young dog as its a bit of a brutal operation.. She could not cope with that now.

Being a vet is a licence to print money. I was at the vet this morning to get drops for her bladder. £20 for a little bottle.
We also have insurance but it's getting very expensive now.

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2015, 01:52:13 PM »

we have a lovely vet.  He is so committed to the animals and the money is secondary (it is his own practice).  Sometimes he does not even charge if a regular customer is struggling.  You can speak for advice on the phone at any time and if it is simple little thing he will not charge or will defer payment to make things easier.

He doesn't mark up a profit on preventative treatment like wormer, neutering etc.  He saved our dog's life when he was younger and I am forever grateful to this wonderful man.

ellie

« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »

Wow babyjane you are lucky,that I am afraid is not typical of most vets :(.
   My girl was just put on a new treatment for her SM, and it's not a treatment that is used for dogs, it is in fact a drug called Pregabalin, the same tablet that I am on for nerve pain.....we had to get a private prescription from the vets and take it to the chemist.......60 tablets were £112 ......so good job we are insured!!!.....but isn't that shocking  :o

honeybun

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »

Totally. I just googled my girls bladder meds and its £8.60 online but I would have to ask for a prescription and I don't want to annoy my vet  ::)

We have just been weighing her because I think she is a little bit thin. I'm going to up her food a little....she will be delighted  ;D
Oh she is on a special diet too.....spoiled and expensive or what.

But they are so worth it.

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »

vets shouldn't mind giving you a prescription honeybun because they will make a charge for it anyway.

I get all my dog's supplements and digestive enzymes from Animed direct,  they don't charge delivery and have nearly everything I need.

when he had prescription meds when he was younger I always got a prescription and a year's supply online.  It saved me a lot of money.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2015, 06:24:00 PM »

9 isn't old! unless you R in the Show Ring when any dog aged 7 or over is 'veteran'  >:(.  It depends on the breed as to whether operation is appropriate, also how 'young' the dog acts when not in pain.  I have met cockers that have lots of energy at age 11+ and 1 that was 5 and looked about 14  :'( - the owner admitted she only walked it for 20 mins a day  :o the dog was probably bored out of it's skull  :bang: :bang: :bang:

I think that Vets charge a prescription fee so that you can take it where you want.  What annoys me is that Vets. want to see the pet regularly before repeating the prescription and if the pet is over the age of 10/11, what's the point  ::)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:25:42 PM by CLKD »

babyjane

« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2015, 06:28:38 PM »

sorry to bang on about my vet but he treats my little boy just the same now at 11+ as he did when he was young.  It is due to his care that my lad is as good as he is, in lovely condition and firing on all cylinders at the moment.

CLKD

« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »

So many Practices are businesses now.  Also technology that can be suggested to an owner plays on the 'guilt'  ::) ……. certainly when mine had chemo., without Insurance cover we couldn't have supported it (well I would have done  :-\ )

ellie

« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2015, 06:39:14 PM »

Nine isn't old but it is elderly in a Cavalier...Cockers and Springers are always much more energtic...I have been guided by my lovely lady vet, and she says that putting her through a big painful operation , would not be in her best interest.....She used to walk much further than she does now....on and off her lead on the fields near us.Now she dictates how far she wants to go, and has two walks a day.

babyjane

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2015, 06:39:28 PM »

I know, we left one such practice and signed up with current vet only 4 weeks before our dog became seriously ill.  Stayed there ever since (9 years now)

ellie, she sounds lovely, just love her and look after her and be guided by her.  that is what we do with ours.  If he wants to run in the fields we run in the fields and if he wants 10 minutes round the block that is what we do  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 06:41:04 PM by babyjane »

CLKD

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2015, 06:45:54 PM »

Depends on what you call elderly! age or general condition, add to that the Pedigree  ::) …..  Getting a Cavalier beyond 10 with all the inherent problems can be problematic - some Lines have heart problems (Blenheims usually) which the KC could have got rid of 20 years ago!!! the one I looked after for several years died without intervention aged 15 earlier this year. 

My cocker was 12 days off her 14th birthday. After aged 12 she would dictate how far we walked, what I didn't realise was that she had lymphoma and was really tired  :-\.  Also, if she could smell rain she would go back to bed  ;D

Our Labs. lived until 12, 14 and 15 in the 1960s.  It really does depend on the breeding, i.e. some boxer Lines have bone cancer in them  :'( and Bernese often don't live longer than 9. 

It makes a HUGE difference having a regular Vet who is knowledgeable, sympathetic and practical.  Ours shared problems within the Practice which was like getting a 2nd opinion without having to travel far or pay for it  ;).  Don't we just love 'em  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »

My girl will be 13 in November. She has not slowed down yet, I keep waiting and will take my lead from her. She has never been a big long walker.....she is a Bichon, they don't do wet, oh or cold  ;D
She is happiest perched on the back of a chair looking out the window....and barking at people in hats  ;D

Honeybun
X

babyjane

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2015, 09:01:09 AM »

they are worth their weight in gold sparkle  :)

we had £2,000 paid out from our insurance over 18 months 9 years ago but then the premiums started to go up and last year the renewal was almost £60.  I did some research and made some calls and found a much more realistic policy with a reputable company.  They won't cover his pre existing condition but I have a savings account for that and, at the moment, he is very well.  It is still good to have partial insurance cover for vet fees and full cover for accident and third party.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 09:03:51 AM by babyjane »

SadLynda

« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2015, 10:54:00 AM »

love reading about your dogs.

My staffie is on a line at all times now (were there are people) so she does not scare anyone, though she is white (and often pinky) all pink accessories aside from her green 'FRIENDLY' collar.  I dont think she looks mean at all but maybe I am biased.

We have a fabulous vet, he is just a hero.. done so much for us and is thoughtful with charges too.  Alas he was on holiday the other week when we had to take devil dog, as luck would have it we saw the 'main man' who has a thing for Labradors and they got on very well, he could see how 'confused' our boy is and said we had done a great job to get him as good as he is.

just put the old lurcher on glucosomine for his joints as his back legs are struggling, had the Labrador on it for about 6 months now as he has early arthritis too works well for him.

My first dog (as an adult) was a terrier mix, I had the luxating patella op on her twice, aged 9 and then 11.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 45