Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45

Author Topic: Dog Breeds  (Read 132028 times)

Annie0710

Re: Dog Breeds
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2015, 03:40:55 PM »

Shitezu are cute ……… were bred I think to sleep in muffs to keep hands warm and to be guarding …… or was that Lhasas? same genealogy though. My cocker used to grin and frown, she was also great at the Very Big Sigh  ;D

I met a BichonxCavalier last week.  5 months old and looked nothing like it's parents  ::) and was beginning to food and toy guard.  Such a small pup to be growling, I talked long with the owners giving hints: i.e. keep toys only to play with and not allow him to have them at other times; to feed dry food by hand and to use something he really likes food wise when doing 'swapsies' for his toys; to sit in his bed and invite him in …....  I had other ideas later on  ::) like keeping him on a lead when playing so that he can be reeled in and the toy taken off him.  At 5 months he's too sharp to be growling  >:( - he needs to be taught manners but I think the owners were a little soft - he is black and curly and a bundle of 'I'm having my own way' - 'butter wouldn't melt'  ;D

I loves a challenge I does  ;)

He sits at the window cill constantly and barks at anyone /anything that comes near our property, and when the lab doesn't help him he tells him off !

He's devoted to OH and sits waiting for him to come home, and cries like a baby when he sees his van, and acts like he's going to bite (he hasn't ) when people leave the home, when he's done as he's told he's so excited with our praises

Hard work but worth it

Annie xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2015, 03:44:46 PM »

My Cocker would 'sing' when DH came home from work, it was for him and only once did she sing to me  ::) - how much was due to the fact that she would get her evening meal once he was home we never worked out  ;D ! She also learned to stamp her front feet if she didn't get her own way  ;D …….. not a strop but 'you've forgotten to feed me'  ::)

Annie0710

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2015, 03:50:46 PM »

Pets are funny, years ago I had a parakeet who I taught loads of words

If I told him off he'd act like head butting and would say 'ner' like I'm not listening, he was hilarious

Annie xx

CLKD

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »

A friend when I was growing up kept budgies - they all learned to talk and flew free around the lounge when we were there.  One would trill like a 'phone ringing  :D - then put his head under his wing when his owner got up to answer it, usually when she was watching TV ……

Annie0710

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2015, 07:46:56 PM »

Lol

My middle child loved jigsaws and our bird would run down ex husbands leg, steal a piece of jigsaw run back up and drop it down his shirt, he had my mums laugh to a tee, sang and danced to reggae and sang nursery rhymes

If I left the room he'd shout "muuuuum" obviously heard the kids say it so often !

So many things he would say/do, he had a lisp and when we stroked him he'd say "nice" with his lisp

Annie xx

CLKD

« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2015, 01:37:01 PM »

;D

CLKD

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2015, 01:17:57 PM »

Whilst in Robin Hood's Bay on Sunday I saw a tattooed burly man with an Akita; another bloke with an American bulldog and a child of about 12 holding a slightly smaller A Bulldog, now if that wasn't an accident waiting to happen  :-\ - however, there was also a bloke with 3 kids and 3 black Labs. which were running loose - under the Dangerous Dogs Act they would have been 'a dog/s out of control in a Public Place' particularly as the Labs. were running out of sight at times.

I could see that he had some kind of control over the dogs because I know how working Labs. behave, but had they run round a corner into the faces of the dogs 'above'  :o

Why can't dog owners appreciate that a) not everyone wants wet salty dogs around their legs and b) that the DDA applies to all owners  :-\  :'( and that, even before this more recent Law, under the DDA *anywhere* becomes a Public Place: your car, your garden, your lounge ……… which is how Dempsey was snatched from his family in the 1990s  :'(

Otherwise I met some FabULus dogs in Yorkshire ……….  :-*

babyjane

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2015, 07:05:11 PM »

Bumped up for SadLynda who was asking where is the dog thread

CLKD

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2015, 07:07:45 PM »

:thankyou:

Did anyone see the St Bernard have fun on an artificial snow slope - she was suffering from bone cancer so was PTS the day after having had FUN  :-*

honeybun

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2015, 07:08:28 PM »

Next door neighbours have a new pup....a flat coated retriever called Scout. She is lovely. Luckily there is a big fence and a load of plants between us and them. That means my Bichon won't bark too much  ::)

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2015, 07:08:55 PM »

Black Honeybun? 

babypink2807

« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2015, 07:02:18 AM »

I have a Staffie from a pup she is great.  Admit not good with other dogs but great with people and what characters they are. Love them

SadLynda

« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2015, 10:02:33 AM »

Thank you.  I am at home now with doggie folks.

As usual I see CLKD has the same view as me on dogs and the DDA, shame nobody else out there seems to recognise it.  I just had a rant on the FB staffie group about small children with dogs when out.

Today's walk as is usually the case at weekend was awful, with my spending all my time taking avoidence action.  I go out very early to the beach, not the tourist beach but the dirty yukky muddy one in order to avoid idiots.  My Staffie is over friendly and loves all, but ignorant people are terrified of her so she is on a line most of the time and kept away from everyone, the Retriever I walk is a love monster .. again has to be kept away and my Lurcher is old and hates any dog jumping in his face or stuffing up his bottom, strangely other owners have a problem understanding this fact.

Devil Dog is on lead walk only with me.  he was out on another beach with DH - again before 9am, he had a run in too.

Blossom22, I walk a Staffie like that, she is great with people but afraid of other dogs, she is just on lead walks too, the bain of my life there are people with small fluffy dogs on extended leads who again have no concept it just 'might' be an idea not to let them in the Staffie's face ::)  I do try to cross the road, but not always possible.

ellie

« Reply #73 on: August 15, 2015, 12:20:10 PM »

Our beautiful dog is a King Charles Spaniel, she is almost nine, but she sadly has the awful disease Syringomyelia, also a heart problem and problems with her back legs.....Of course We love her dearly, and thankfully she is insured....But I wish that people could be made to stop breeding the breed. I also wish I had done some research before we bought her.....
  She is on medication because with the disease she has they can have a lot of pain....
        If she starts to suffer a lot......well we will have to make that dreadful decision   :(

honeybun

« Reply #74 on: August 15, 2015, 12:41:05 PM »

Oh Ellie what a shame. I agree there are some awful people out there that think no further than how much money they can make and do not care about the breed at all.

My little Bichon had a fluxating patella and had to have surgery when she was about three. She was in such pain as her knee cap kept coming out of position. I actually learned how to get it back into place. It's a breed weakness that is now recognised.
She is now an old lady and her hearing is going, she has bladder issues and now has cataracts. We love her to bits but she seems to be a happy little soul.

As for staffies ....I am one of the scared ones as they have such a bad reputation. Three little dogs have been mauled to death on our local prom. Not bad dogs but shocking owners I think. It's little wonder people are scared of them.

Honeybun
X
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 45