Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Driving in the dark  (Read 8635 times)

bramble

Driving in the dark
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:29:16 PM »

Is there anyone who likes driving in the dark? I have found that as I have got older, my confidence about driving in the dark has got less and less. Esp when it is raining. Anyone got any ideas? Apart from doing it more?

Bramble

Taz2

Re: Driving in the dark
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 04:51:48 PM »

It can be quite a problem bramble as we get older. One of my friends has had to give up driving in the dark altogether as she can't see past oncoming lights. She has had eye tests and tried night vision lenses but it still made her feel that she was a liability to others. This gives a bit of an idea of what happens to our eyes as we get older http://www.allaboutvision.com/over40/night-driving.htm 

Giving up night time driving is not something that many of us can do of course if we still need to work.

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »

Never my favourite thing to do. Now I just drive locally at night and no further than that. More lack of general driving confidence with me rather than anything else. Maybe just short journeys to build up your confidence.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 05:50:52 PM »

I have a pair of specs for night driving with some sort of anti glare lenses in them. I don't legally need them apparently but I do find that if I'm driving for over two hours in the dark then my eyes do get more tired nowadays so I put them on.

Taz x

Dulciana

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 06:06:20 PM »

What I hate is if I'm driving in the dark, going carefully, when a boy-racer comes up behind me.   They seem to get more aggressive at that time of day.   I do keep to the speed limit but they make me feel really menaced, made worse by the glare of oncoming headlights.   

Ju Ju

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »

I loathe driving on the motorway in the dark and rain, particularly if it is busy. I take it easy. Let everyone overtake. If I had to do it a lot, I'd look into anti glare lenses.

littleminnie

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 06:31:06 PM »

I don't mind if I know the roads.

Taz2

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 06:40:49 PM »

Strangely enough I find motorway driving better than single carriageway driving as you don't have the lights coming towards you especially when the single carriageway roads often don't have good road markings anymore. Never thought we'd get like this did you?

Taz x

ariadne

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 08:02:13 PM »

I dont drive at night unless its somewhere really familiar and well lit. I just cannot see far enough ahead on unlit roads. I dont even like being a passenger at night because as I cant see the road myself, I dont think the driver can either!  I get very tense.

Mind you, I've never been a confident driver at the best of times.  Better start saving for one of those driverless cars  ;D

Ariadne

bramble

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 10:19:39 PM »

Well, I have just done something that I hope will help. I have booked a couple of lessons. One in the daylight when I am going to be hopping off and on the motorway umpteen times (another of my problems in the dark) and then another when I will do it all again and more in the dark. Also hoping to get a lesson in the dark when it's raining - not too difficult here. I am hoping all the above will give me more confidence. The instructor is qualified to teach advanced driving so said it will be very similar to techniques used for that.
And all in my own car.
Keep your fingers crossed for me girls. First one is on Thursday.
Bramble

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 10:49:13 PM »

Oh well done you. I hope it goes really really well.

Basically driving scares me now. At one time I would have driven anywhere and often did. Then I started getting panic attacks in the car and that was it.

I now drive a 20 odd mile round trip on country roads a few times a week and that's it. It makes me feel feeble and I used to love driving and fast cars.

Let us know how you get on. This new and improved you really is impressive.

Honeybun
X

Cazikins

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 10:59:35 PM »

Good idea Bramble, that will get your confidence back.
I don't enjoy driving much at all, especially if it's an area I don't know.
Like Taz I prefer motorway driving, that way I don't feel pressurised to go at a certain speed.

Let us know how you get on Bramble.

bramble

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »

Yes, gone are the days when I used to drive down to Birmingham and often in the dark. Now it's a case of use it or lose it and I seem to have lost it! However, I feel better now that I have tried to do something to help myself instead of avoidance. It will be interesting to see how I get on. I think I am a good driver but who knows .... I am actually quite looking forward to getting my first lesson!
Watch out world - woman in control!
Bramble

Cazikins

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 11:38:20 PM »

Watch out world - woman in control!
Bramble

You Go Girl  ;) ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2015, 12:11:52 PM »

Gosh Bramble - you're really going for it! Well done  :)

It doesn't bother me especially about driving in the dark except on Thurs evenings I work almost 20 miles away and have to drive over the hills and through avenues of tall trees so when it's windy, stormy, snowy and icy in winter I'm not so keen. Fortunately this winter we've had very little of any of that!

I sympathise with anyone who has eye problems making this difficult. My 87 year old mum never drives in the dark, and a friend of mine (late 60's) had an operation on her eyes ( can't remember what) and when we go out together in the evening she drives really slowly (unlike me who tends to drive fast!).

I don't drive on many long journeys on my own but do if I have to - visiting or fetching offspring and their stuff! You do get tired quicker though - being mesmerised by the lights.

Hurdity x