Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hello I'm looking for some advice please  (Read 2319 times)

JulesW

Hello I'm looking for some advice please
« on: February 25, 2015, 08:38:56 AM »

Hello this is my first post and I'm looking for a bit of advice. I was first diagnosed with the menopause just over 2 years ago but I fairly certain I started going through the meno when I was 36 (I'm 43 now).  I've been taking Femoston 1/10 for approximately 18 months and felt fine up until about 2 months ago.  The old menopause symptoms  have slowly crept back.  Period has started early, mood swings, breast tenderness, brain fog, aches and pains, mood swings, disturbed sleep, low energy and lethargy and weak bladder.  Up until last September I was taking 10mg of Citalopram which helped with the sleeping and mood swings.  I stopped taking it in September as I was starting to feel very anxious.  Within a few days of stopping the citalopram I felt much better.  I've got a doctors appointment today and I'm wondering if I need to increase the femoston to 2/10? I'm hoping my doctor doesn't  suggest going back on the citalopram as I feel these only mask the symptoms.  I would be grateful of any advice.  Just to add the symptoms I mentioned above come and go so I'm not experiencing them all the time but when I do I feel terrible and this has been impacting on my work. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:45:15 AM by JulesW »

Dancinggirl

Re: Hello I'm looking for some advice please
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 09:04:30 AM »

Hi JulesW and welcome to MM
I had a premature meno like you. It's good you taking Femoston - this is a good HRt type as the progesterone is similar to our own so well tolerated by many women.
I am certainly no expert but I suspect the citalopram was probably helping to reduce some of the meno symptoms and now you have stopped them the dosage of HRT is not sufficient to control those symptoms. I think increasing to the 2/10 dose of Femoston would be a good option.
The reason you symptoms come and go is probably because you are still peri menopausal so your own hormones are still fluctuating.  Having said this some women find they need something like citalopram alongside HRT to totally control all their symptoms. You describe citalopram 'as masking the symptoms' - in a way this is what HRT is doing - it is replacing the hormones your body no longer makes so is suppressing the meno symptoms. However at your age the protective factor of HRT is important for your bones and heart and it will also reduce the risk of early onset vaginal atrophy and bladder problems.
I believe at your age an increase of dosage would be sensible to try first.
Do read up all the info on this site to get really clued up. DG x

Galadriel

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »

Hi JulesW  :welcomemm:

Have a look at the menus above - they are filled with great info which might help you. Personally, I suspect you might need an increase in HRT dose but I'm no expert  :)

Good luck at the docs.

Galadriel x

JulesW

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:12:37 AM »

Thank you Dancing Girl that's very helpful.  I don't have a problem with taking citalopram as it did help initially but worried in case the anxiety starts again.  Hopefully my doctor will be able to advise me. 

JulesW

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:05 AM »

Thank you Galadriel.  Now off to get ready for my doctors appointment.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »

:welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:44:04 PM »

Hi JulesW  :welcomemm: from me too.

How did you get on at the doctors?

Hurdity x