Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Not happy with patches  (Read 2629 times)

Amandajane46

Not happy with patches
« on: February 27, 2015, 09:27:30 PM »

Hi I changed patches from evoral conti to evoral 50 4 weeks ago and all my symptoms are back including bleeding and also putting on weight 😡😡😤😤

Dancinggirl

Re: Not happy with patches
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 10:08:42 PM »

Can you remind us why you changed?  Do you have a Mirena? Were you the lady that had a Mirena fitted and then given the conti patch so you were getting too much progesterone?
It should be the same amount of oestrogen in these two patches so it is a bit of mystery as to why you are getting this trouble?!
It seems to me that your body is adjusting - the withdrawal of the progesterone in the conti patch could trigger the bleeding and if you have a Mirena this should settle down gradually over the next few weeks. There is no actual evidence that HRT makes you gain weight but appetite can increase so you have to be careful not to start eating more. Sometimes one retains a bit of fluid but again this may settle as your body adjusts.
It's early days and I think you need to give things at least 3 months to allow it all to settle down.  DG  x

Amandajane46

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 10:19:56 PM »

Hi yes that's me with the marina coil n to much progesterone. I'm not eating more but my belly bigger still feeling really tired  cant wait for gyna on 18th March

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2015, 09:00:54 AM »

I think it's early days Amandajane46 - it will take your body time to adjust and the blouting around your tummy will probably settle as well. You might need to up the oestrogen a bit but when you see the gynae in a few weeks then that can be assessed then.  The Mirena doesn't suit everyone either and there can be an initial burst of progesterone in the first few months that can cause problems. Try to stick things out and hopefully you will feel differently in 2-3 weeks.  DG x

Amandajane46

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »

Thank you :)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 05:58:43 PM »

Hi Amandajane

I remember you saying when we discussing why you were on such a high dose of progetogen - that you suffered from very heavy bleeding so the extra progestogen is actually preventing this.

My view would be that if your bleeding is so heavy that a Mirena coil is not sufficient to lessen it, such that you need additional progestogen, then I would want the heavy bleeding investigated and maybe something done about it, especially as the progestogen is giving you side effects.

Have a look at the section on bleeding problems and treatments on this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/heavyperiods.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php

Some women in your position have an endometrial ablation which removes part of the womb lining and then a small amount of progesterone only is needed and it stops the bleeding.

Perhaps you can look at some of the options and make a list of questions to discuss with your gyane in March? If we can help further please let us know  :)

Hurdity x

Amandajane46

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »

Hi hurdity I'm not bleeding heavy just lite on and off x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 10:30:32 PM »

Amandajane46 - I think this light bleeding on and off is quite normal with the Mirena particularly as you have taken away the extra progesterone now - it should settle in the next few weeks.  Light spotting on and off is very normal for the first 3-6 months. If it was heavy then it should be investigated as Hurdity suggests. DG x

Amandajane46

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »

Hi thank you ladies x