Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Who is in charge of the finances  (Read 11891 times)

honeybun

Re: Who is in charge of the finances
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »

But could you manage the money CLKD ?

It's really important I think. You may not have to actually do it but we should all be prepared to take things on with confidence if we need to.

I never want to be so dependent on anyone that I couldn't do things for myself.

Honeyb
X

rosebud57

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »

We had our one and only argument about money when the boys were small.  Up shot was husband said ,'if you can do better you do it,,'. I have ever since.
Strange thing is his job was as business analyist, and he often dealt with millions at work.  However since retiring he struggles to get his head around online banking.  He has no idea what things cost and nearly past out today when I bought printer ink and paper.

Millykin

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:04:07 PM »

I do everything in our house financially, we have everything in joint names and a separate bank account each. Every penny we earn goes into joint then I pay into our separate accounts each month, he dosent even know that exists!  I deal with everything at home and work (self employed) tax vat etc. hubby gets pocket money each week. We met when we were 17 he moved in with us ( parents) and when he got his first job he just came home and gave me his wage! Has done ever since. He has great survival skills and always provides the goods, but just can't deal with financial stuff. I would hate not doing it. I even used to do financial lists for parents, I now do it for brother, sister, and one daughter, the other is like me and very organised. If anything happens to me he won't have a clue but my daughter will as I have run her through it all.x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »

Honeybun I would be lost - but I have a good FA and a couple of friends I trust …..

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 10:08:02 PM »

Learn CLKD....its really important to be able to deal with things yourself. Get hubby to teach you.

I have started taking my own advice and am making up a list to go over with hubby...he is going to learn and do his share. It's vital that he can manage on his own....

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 10:26:47 PM »

I would know what to do if push came to shove.  I'm glad hubby now does the big stuff, as I'd be lost. Insurances etc I could do, well I used to work in insurance many moons ago. However, our FA keeps us right.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »

Looks like not only have we a MM Choir, we now have a Financial Services Dept. too  ;)

A down-turn - why?

Joyce

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:17 PM »

Us Duracell bunnies can multi-task without batting an eyelid.  ;)

Ju Ju

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 11:19:17 PM »

My DH sorts the finances, but I do the filing, so I have a pretty good idea what's what. I have never washed a car or mowed a lawn in my life. I am quite capable, but why do it if he's keen to. I clean the gutters, which is a gutty job seeing we are surrounded by trees. DH has learnt how to use the dish washer, but the washing machine? And the loo? It's funny how you tend to divide household chores, often without discussion. When I was ill, he stood in front of the washing machine scratching his head. It didn't occur to him to consult the manual!

Rhubarb

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 01:48:57 AM »

I do all the finances, hubby doesn't know anything about how the bills are paid and pays no attention to the bank accounts. The one thing he does do is the yearly tax return, with some help from me. The household chores are basically divided by inside and outside: I do all the inside including the cooking, and he does all the outside.

Dana

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 06:37:55 AM »

Oh heck I really did blow it.

I really do think it's because hubby worked abroad so much for 25 years. I was like a single parent a good part of the time so I just had to do it, including cutting the grass and washing the car.
The kids memories of dad when they were small was arriving home on a Friday night with presents you couldn't get in this country and then leaving again on a Sunday....or being away for weeks on end with just phone calls.
I do find if the kids want something sorted they come to me because he was never there and that has spilled over into adulthood.

Honeybun
X

You definitely haven't blown it. At least you will never be in the situation my mother found herself in when my father passed away. She was so clueless she didn't even know how to walk into a bank to draw out any money. As for paying bills - forget it. I had to be made POA for her and take over all her banking and bill paying, because she had no idea, and didn't have the capability or interest to learn.

Ju Ju

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 07:51:40 AM »

DDs reckon OH would live in a hovel if I wasn't around - he doesn't agree as he reckons he's quite capable of all things domestic if push comes to shove, his argument being that his efforts don't come up to my exacting standards (that's his excuse anyway ..... and he's right!!).

S x

Ditto! When push did come to a shove, he did rise to the occasion, and my standards went out of the window.

Greyhoundgal

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 01:20:17 PM »

I do it all in our house.  I'd been living on my own for 4 years before my now-husband came over to live from Holland.  Our way of doing things was just too confusing for him to get his head round and very archaic according to him compared to life in Holland so it just seemed easier for me to sort stuff out.  We have our own accounts plus a joint one which he just uses for his travels (work).  We have split some of the bills so that they now come out of his account as we sometimes need that sort of thing as proof of residence when he has to apply for visas to India or Saudi Arabia.  He pays for all our food shopping (we do it together when he's here) and stuff if we go out but I'm also a signatory on his account, again for when he's out of the country.  I'm sure he could do it if he had to but at the moment he wouldn't even know where some stuff is!

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »

I suppose that as I can't add up or take away even thought I got a 4 in my Accounts 'O' Level  :o …….. I have no interest in learning how.

Thanks StellaJane - the way people lose money is to try to sell during the down-turn.  My Mum went on and on and  ::) in 2008 ……. but we were absolutely fine!  At least I knew that much  ;) …...
Pages: 1 [2]