Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Hi New Here  (Read 2257 times)

grannytobe

Hi New Here
« on: March 03, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »

Re: Newbie
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 04:46:20 PM »
ReplyQuoteModifyModifyRemoveRemove
Hi I am new to the forum. I had a subtotal hysterectomy and ovaries removed about 2 and a half years ago. I was told by the female surgeon that I would probably go into surgical menopause although I think I had been starting to go through the menopause before then as had been having flushes during the night. The first 5/ 6 weeks after my op I thought this isn't so bad and then the hot flushes started again with a vengeance only during the day as well, anxiety, palpitations, intermittent headaches aching joints (knees lower and upper back as well as my feet and ankles, I have osteoarthritis which has been gradually deteriorating since the hysterectomy) bladder problems, tierdness and bloating (wind). My OH has also commented that I am not the same sweet person he used to know and yes I do know that I am snappy and irritable and becoming more so, can this happen serveral years down the line after the hysterectomy on top of the fact that he has copd. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed when I have a list of chores to do, and that is when I moan and mump, snap or he does at me.....that is when the trouble starts because where I would bite my tongue and let it go, I am less inclined to these days. Happy I have found this site to share views etc with all women in the same boat

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hi New Here
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »

:foryou:  sounds like normal from where I'm sitting.

Maybe you and he need to go through the list of necessary chores to see if he can take over some?  A buzz word might help too, one he can throw at you when you get OTT.  OTT is normal for this time of Life  :(  ::) and he'll get used to it.

Have a browse of the menus.  Ask away!

grannytobe

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »

Thanks for replying CLKD, therein lies the problem. My OH has Copd and still works full time at the moment, the copd initself causes tiredness because of limited oxygene in his blood as well as the fact that I am 50 and he is 60. I was until recently working full time when we moved house to be closer for family support if/when his health deteriorates further. He does ask if I need help but I'd rather not put any more on him. He is thinking of the possibility of taking early retirement later in the year and becoming a house husband and I do intend returning to work, hopefully full time, thing is I don't want to be in the situation I was before working 42 and a half hours a week with a 13 hours per week commute on top and then all the other stuff to do with running a home, remembering to order his meds from surgery as well as my own for the osteoarthritis, he also has rheumatoid arthritis. If it comes to that I will just have to sit him down and let him know that my body can't cope in the way it did say 5 years ago.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2015, 03:53:40 PM »

He has a chronic condition which can be demoralising.  He maybe feels that he needs to do more in order to be useful  :-\ …….. working out both your capabilities as you age is important.  Since DH retired [nearly 4 years ago  :o] he has taken charge of the hoover-thingy  :D ….. which he wields with aplomb.  Duster occasionally enters his eye-line …….. but the laundry room is mine.  He cooks.

Thinking about what you both do around house/garden …….. maybe OH could take on some of the lighter chores that you do already. If you weren't there, who would help him around the house/garden?  Moving closer to family might not mean help if you are all ageing together  ;).  My family are the LAST people on Earth I would want close by  :-X  ::)

Have you registered with a Surgery since you moved, you may find that the Practice Nurse does a Well Woman appt. where you can discuss on-going health issues.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 04:36:17 PM »

Hi grannytobe

:welcomemm:

I am surprised that you weren't offered HRT when you had your hysterectomy with ovary removal as you were still below the average age of menopause which is 51-52, and HRT is generally offered to help protect bones and heart as well as preventing the debilitating symptoms you are experiencing.
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

I would definitely look to starting HRT and especially since you don't need progestogens as you've had a hysterectomy - you just need oestrogen which can be taken as tablet or through the skin as patch or gel.

Here is some information about oestrogen HRT types:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

In addition your bladder problems would benefit from local oestrogen (vaginal oestrogen) because your tissues are now severaly oestrogen deprived and this will not get better on its own. Here is some information:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-vaginal-atrophy.php Scroll down through the survey.

Here is information about symptoms and treatments (on this site):
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/vaginalsymptoms.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/dryness.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

You will find that oestrogen will lessen many of the symptoms you are experiencing and if you are intending to work any more and longer hours then I would suggest that HRT is essential in your position for you to live with a decent quality of life by the sound of things - and especialy as you husband is unwell.

Hope this helps and if we can offer any more advice please do ask.

Hurdity x

grannytobe

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 10:05:19 AM »

Thanks CLDK and Hurdity for your replies. My OH probably would feel unhappy taking on lighter chores at the moment. He was in the armed forces for 28 years and has only just begun to accept he is unable to do such physical things as he done then. We manage the heavier chores between us as my wrists/hands don't have the same strength due to having surgery on them both a year ago, it can be hard sometimes but we usually find a way around things. I just get unhappy as I'm sure he does that we can be snappy or irritable with each other as it wasn't that way before we had health problems, don't get me wrong we still have a laugh together and these are the best times and one of the things I loved about him when we first met, he made me laugh all the timejust not as often these days, but iv'e changed too, I suppose with him also being in the armed forces his manner could be a bit sharp but more so now with the copd and myself now going through menopause whereas before he always said I was so laid back, so I have come to realise that the snapiness is due to health problems. I already discussed hrt with my gp but because I smoke (10/15) a day he had said I may not be suitable because of the risk of  thrombosis(I'm sure that's what he said), I don't know if the fact my father also had a triple bypass had any bearing on this too.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 02:52:19 PM »

Hi again

If you can possibly consider it, and I'm sure you are aware, the best and most important thing you can do for your general health now and into the future is to start the process of giving up smoking. It will pay dividends. It is definitely a risk factor for all sorts of illnesses and diseases post-menopause, and does increase the risk of negative effects of HRT - which if you were able to take it would improve your quality of life so much, as explained in my earlier post below.

Having never been a smoker (well briefly in late teens) I have no knowledge of the psychology of giving up, or indeed whether you want to - but if so are you able to enroll on a programme of some sort or are the docs able to help with this at all?

Hurdity x