Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Any help for post HRT user  (Read 2602 times)

SusieQ

Any help for post HRT user
« on: February 25, 2015, 03:39:14 PM »

Hello, this is the first time in my life that I've done something like this and I'm 64 years old, so I'm hoping that someone will be able to steer me in the right direction?

As some background, up until last year, I had been a long time user of HRT (10 yrs +) when out of the blue I developed unexplained vaginal bleeding. First episode was in March and I dismissed it as it passed so quickly and then a second episode in June. This time I decided to take it more seriously and sought advice from my GP. Was sent for ultrasound which revealed further investigation required and I was quickly referred to see a Gynaecologist.

It turned out I needed to have a hysteroscopy to retrieve a biopsy but before doing so I was instructed I had to STOP taking my HRT prior to my admission to hospital.  Obviously I did this and in fact went on to have a second procedure some weeks later as the first had been inconclusive.  They discovered two fibroids, which was an enornous relief as they hadn't known what they were going to discover.  They didn't remove them but I have not had any recurrence of bleeding since then.  The Gynaecologist recommended that I did not start back on HRT and as I had been toying with the idea for quite some time I did took that advice.

I'm now seriously questioning the wisdom of this move as I have since read that this method of quitting "cold turkey" is not a good idea and that I should have been weaned off them?

I'm now really suffering from severe joint pains, some weight gain, bad sleeping pattern, mood swings etc. etc.  I have spent hours on-line searching to see what else is out there to help alleviate my symptoms, but it's a minefield.  Can anyone,  who may have suffered or be suffering from similar symptoms, recommend any supplements that I can get started on before I crack up!!

Sorry if this is a bit long winded, didn't really know how to make it shorter and hope that I hear from someone soon.  Many thanks in the meantime.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Any help for post HRT user
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 03:54:13 PM »

:welcomemm: ………   :bighug:  it seems you have been plunged into menopause proper  >:(

Are you due to see your Gynae again? or maybe give the secretary to the Dept. a ring and ask advice?  In the meantime, have a browse round the menus, top of page!

SusieQ

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »

No I was signed off after they diagnosed what they thought was the cause of my original problem.  It's now several months on without taking HRT that I'm in trouble.  Was really just hoping that someone might know of a miracle supplement that they could recommend to get my life back on track.  I may have to try and seek professional help if I don't get anywhere.  Thanks for your reply anyway.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 04:11:21 PM »

Back to your Practice Nurse for the discussion and if necessary, ask your GP to refer you to the Gynae for further advice.  In the meantime have a read here, I'm sure someone else will be along.  Keeping a food/mood diary can be useful too ……. as when we feel better we can forget how symptoms affect us!

Nope - no miracle supplements or we wouldn't need MM  ;) - it really is Trial and Error ...

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 04:30:03 PM »

Hi Susie. I have come off HRT twice. The first time I weaned myself off over an eighteen month period and the second time I just stopped it dead. Both times had the same end result I'm afraid - the return of the meno symptoms which I had suffered prior to starting HRT eight years ago. Both my GP and the menopause clinic were adamant that I should stop  HRT due to reaching 60 but the hot sweats etc. were so horrendous that my GP relented and put me back on a half dose patch. I don't need progesterone due to having a hysterectomy last year so I can have Evorel 25 patch without having to worry about keeping the womb lining thin. This has kept the sweats at bay although I don't feel as good as I did on the 50 dose.

Any HRT could cause your fibroids to grow of course which is something else to consider. I had a couple which were discovered when I too developed bleeding but I was allowed to stay on HRT at that time.

I hope you find an answer. It is considered that between the ages of 60 and 70 the risks and the benefits are about equal but after 70 the risks outweigh the benefits. It seems to me that if your overall health is good then your GP may be persuaded to re-prescribe HRT maybe in a lower dose for a few more years.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 04:35:22 PM »

Quality of Life  ;)

SusieQ

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 04:59:19 PM »

Thanks for your responses......it's reassuring to realise that I'm not losing it, although why I ever thought it wouldn't come back to bite me I don't know.  I'm back at the GP's next week to get some bloods results so will try see what they think and what recommendations they make when I push it home how rough I've been feeling.  Thanks again for your support.

peegeetip

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 05:20:34 PM »

Hi SusieQ

what HRT were you on prior to the stop for your fibroids investigation?

Tablets, Patches, Gel, Sequi or Conti?

Just a quick piece of information that might help.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8566261

:-*
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:28:40 PM by peegeetip »

SusieQ

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 05:39:51 PM »

Hi peegeetip... my HRT was tablet form.  I had a look at the link, interesting stuff.  Will mention to my GP but am hoping to stay off HRT now if I can get to somewhere reasonable in my life.  Tnks so much for that.
S.

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »

Just to say that I tried different alternatives but nothing has helped with the sweats and joint pain apart from HRT. I also didn't really want to go back on it but without it life was pretty miserable.

Taz x