Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Perspective and Counting Blessings  (Read 6356 times)

GeordieGirl

Perspective and Counting Blessings
« on: February 24, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »

While I'm fretting about my missing hormones and getting old, a friend has no choice on the matter. She's suffering from aggressive MND and is highly unlikely to be here by winter. She's a single parent and last week her oldest son, only 23, died tragically as a consequence of an accident when on duty in Afghanistan two years ago. Her ex hubby has threatened to put her 10 year old son  into care when she dies as he "can't cope" with him.

I can't believe how fate can be so cruel to one family and it really makes me count my blessings, and hold my children and loved ones tight.

The alternative to getting old just isn't worth facing.

GG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Perspective and Counting Blessings
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 03:52:25 PM »

What support is she receiving, who has care and control of her 10 year old?  She needs to have a good Solicitor on the case! because this isn't going to be easy for any one in the coming months.  Maybe Macmillan or the MND Society has Legal advice?  If the ex doesn't have access maybe a Restraining Order would be appropriate?

I can understand that people get nasty and want to 'get back' at their partners but how can someone who supposedly loved their wife/children ………

Was the son's death by his own hand ……..

GeordieGirl

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »

The MND society have been a great help to her, there's a lovely organisation called Winston's Wish which helps children facing bereavement. Whether or not dad keeps it up afterwards is another matter....

Social Workers are involved to keep an eye on her younger son when she's no longer here, a good friend has offered to take him if all else fails. Poor child to be facing this, poor mum to know she's leaving her son to an uncertain future. He's lost his older brother and idol, his mum isn't far behind.  It was post traumatic stress that lead to her older son taking his life, unfortunately our troups are simply dropped by the military when no longer of use, regardless of them putting their lives on the line.

No one ever knows what's around the corner, it's just so very important to treasure the here and now.

GG x

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 04:21:41 PM »

Oh that is so terribly sad for everyone. Poor little boy and his poor mum.

Brings things into sharp focus really when some have to face so much.

I hope things get resolved for your friends son

Honeyb
X

purplenanny

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 04:28:15 PM »

That is so sad GG.  Your poor friend must be so worried about her Son, let alone trying to cope with her own health.

I lost a very dear friend to MND just before Christmas. It is a horrible disease.

I do hope she can pass with peace in her mind and her little boy has the love and care he deserves. PN x x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 06:41:03 PM »

Sadly our Troups {sp} are left on the side - we have a homeless Soldier locally who has been helped by selling the Big Issue, locals have taken him under the community 'wing' i.e. helping him with bills and we are involved with providing tents, sleeping bags, warm clothing for other homeless people.

Sometimes the burdens of Service Life is too hard to let go of once in Civvy Street  :'(

Hopefully the person who has offered the lad a 'home' will set the Legalaities into action soon.  That way he and his Mum will know that he has a roof over his head!