Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Oestrogen only HRT  (Read 3102 times)

Melbury

Oestrogen only HRT
« on: February 20, 2015, 07:50:03 PM »

I have been on Oestrogel for about six years now.

Have just been reading an article on here that if you have a sub-total hysterectomy then it may not be OK to just have oestrogen only HRT, so now feeling a bit concerned :'(  It was never mentioned by my GP or gynae.

Hurdity

Re: Oestrogen only HRT
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:32:36 PM »

Melbury I'm sure it's fine. I presume your cervix was retained?

Is this the section you are referring to:

Sub-total hysterectomy

If the main part of the uterus has been removed but the cervix retained, it is currently uncertain whether HRT can be given in the form of estrogen only or estrogen combined with progestogen. The slight concern of using estrogen only, is that there may be some of the cells of the lining of the uterus in the cervical canal which could become thickened from the estrogen. This thickening can be prevented by adding in progestogen. To find out if progestogen is required, it may be suggested to use estrogen combined with cyclical progestogen for 3 months after your operation. If there is monthly bleeding in this time, it means that cells are present which are responding to the hormones so estrogen and progestogen should be used thereafter. (These hormones can however be given together continuously to avoid monthly bleeding). If there is no bleeding in the first 3 months, then estrogen can be given on its own thereafter.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/aftermeno.php

I'm not sure how long this has been recommended ( ie the progestogen) but I would have thought you would have experienced some bleeding by now if there was a problem. Looks like it is only a slight concern. Why not mention it to your GP at your next visit ( or ask to be referred to the gynae if your doc doesn't seem to know) - and print out the information from this website to take with you.

Try not to worry - if necessary make an appointment as soon as you can to put your mind at rest.

Hurdity x

Melbury

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:58:49 PM »

Thanks Hurdity,

I know I am just being silly and I did have a cervical smear test last year.

Sometimes I read things and just fall off the cliff - must be the lack of proper hormones :(

lancashirelass

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 12:56:12 PM »

I had subtotal and my.chap has.put me on prog now as he is saying it is protective.  I would speak to your gynae

Melbury

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:27:23 PM »

Thanks for the information.

I haven't seen gynae for years - not since 2010 when he told me I had LS :'(

I have been on Oestrogel since that time, so about five years.  I do remember asking him about this and he just brushed it aside. 

I don't really know why I have got concerned about it, suppose it is a bit late now anyway as I have been using it for five years.

How long were you on just oestrogen before your gynae decided to put you on prog as well?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 08:19:19 PM by Melbury »

lancashirelass

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:29:02 PM »

Ive used since my hyst in 2011but i also had endo and it protects against that too

Melbury

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:19:12 PM »

I had my subtotal hyst in 2003 and kept ovaries, so menopause didn't hit for about three years after that. 

Was thinking about it today and if there had been some uterine cells left behind, then wouldn't I have had some slight bleeds in the years between the hyst and menopause starting?  Presumably until then I was still generating both hormones.

Checked and I started on hrt (Oestrogel) in November 2011, so not as long as I originally thought.