Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Care home payments  (Read 9858 times)

honeybun

Re: Care home payments
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 05:46:11 PM »

There is help to pay a mortgage. My nephew was made redundant and it took almost a year to find another job. He did get help.....not exactly sure what but it is there.

My hubby and I have downsized. Don't really want to go any smaller than we are. Still have room for the children if they want to stay.

Full time care at home must be cheaper than residential care. When I say full time care I mean carers in four times a day. My mother has care twice in a day but we have the option to increase when it's needed. This type of care is free in Scotland which is great. If that would be possible when my time comes then that would suit me. Don't ever expect my kids to do anything though.

Honeyb
X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 08:11:38 PM »

As has been mentioned before, the problem with care in the home is the lack of consistency. You seldom get the same person on a regular basis and this can be confusing and distressing for the person needing the care, especially if they have dementia. There also needs to be a family member or friend regularly checking that the care is appropriate and being properly carried out so someone needs to pop round several times a week. My mother-in-law simply wouldn't let the carers do anything that was needed, like helping her have a bath or shower and they certainly didn't check whether she had eaten and drunk enough.  In the home they monitored her much better and her health improved enormously in the first few weeks.
Live in carers are very,very expensive and they still require time off each week that needs to be covered.
I think it is important to do a little planning if you want to stay in your home as long as possible. When my mother moved nearer us here in Suffolk the house she bought needed renovating, so I insisted she had a walk in shower with support bars etc. all the stairs have rails both sides, we planned the kitchen so it was easy for her manage and her second bedroom got a small shower en suite and loo ready in case she needed a live in carer or I had to stay overnight when needed.
I do think it is sensible to have plans in place or at least your wishes for the later stages of life.
A local friend came round today and her 98 year old mother in America is in hospital as her heart is failing. Her mother had done a DNR a year or so before but is now saying she wants to be revived if her heart stops. Her mother is surrounded by many friends who are visiting and supporting but my friend, who goes over regularly to spend time with her, has to decide when to go over now it look like the end stage. She is horrified that she may have to make a decision as to whether to have her mother revived or not.  The doctors have said she could die tomorrow, in a month or it could be many months. This 98 year old women has stayed in her home till now but has had a great deal of support that has cost a fortune.  She has remained very active and is still quite good mentally considering her age. It is still quite unusual to get to 98 but it won't be long before this isn't unusual and the amount of care and support is going to be crippling for society.  DG x

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 08:25:15 PM »

My sis and I have organised with the GP a DNR for my mother. We watched my step father die by degrees because some B***y gung ho doctor fitted him with a pacemaker.
It was just awful.

Mother will never have that happen to her. At nearly 93 when she goes then there will be no intervention. It's just not right at all. Bring them back for what. I simply don't ubderstand that.
Although my mother has a set of differing carers...there are four regular ones that she is used to. If she was not prepared to accept this then she would not be able to stay at home. Mind you if they are against the idea of going into a home then there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do. You can't carry them out and if they say no there is nothing you can do. My aunt has advanced dementia but refuses to leave her home....nowt anyone can do. She is in a bad way. Currently she thinks her father , her two brothers and her sister are staying with her.....they have all been dead for years. Suggest a care home.....not if you want to hangnonto your head.

Honeyb
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »

Full time care in England would be someone living in 24/7, probably 2 people …….. 1 for day-time, another for night-time and that would depend upon how much lifting is required.  Also laundry has to be considered: the changing of beds, turn around of bedding etc., does this be washed at home or 'sent out'.  So much to consider and put into place  ::)

Does the full time carer need to be NHS trained or at least have an 1st Aid certificate?  So many carers that attended my Dad had NO medical knowledge at all …… they were too busy answering their mobile phones, usually because their 'boss' was on their tails because the 'care company' had too many clients  :'(  :-\ and as mentioned we never had the same person in so Dad wasn't able to build a relationship.  Within 8 days he had to be found emergency care as Mum was unable to cope …..

honeybun

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 10:23:07 PM »

Oh that's harsh given the fact if she didn't have the means to fund herself the council would have to pay.

I agree getting older ....really older ....is just horrible.

Like yourself I am watching my mother fade away little by little.

Honeyb
X
Pages: 1 [2]