Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Poo Test  (Read 7268 times)

Cassie

Re: Poo Test
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2015, 05:54:37 AM »

Thx ladies so if Im understanding this correctly you have to extract a bit from each end of the stool,  for 3 consecutive days, yikes, my hubby will never do this and I aint offering either, do you store the sample cards in the fridge.... ;D

Hattie

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »

Hi Cassie

It doesn't have to be 3 consecutive days but the test has to be done within a week or so then sent off - you do not need to store the samples in the fridge thank goodness ! - there is a flap that comes down over the sample to conceal it.

Samples don't have to be taken at each end of the stool - i just did mine in two different places.

I just caught a bit of poo in some toilet paper - not nice but i've seen worse when i used to rod our drains !

My husband did his no trouble - his father died of bowel cancer.

Melbury

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2015, 10:28:12 AM »

I was sent my kit last April when I turned 60, but am ashamed to say still haven't used it :-\  I keep meaning to, but then it gets shelved again.

Is there as limit on how long you have to send it back?

Hattie

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2015, 10:40:54 AM »

Is there a phone number anywhere on the kit to ring about that Melbury ? I've no idea but i would have thought anytime would be okay as they have your name and a number on the kit.

Jenna

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2015, 10:52:25 AM »

On mine it says it will last for many months unopened, but it must be completed and received for testing within 14 days of the first sample being taken and to note that they do not test kits at weekends.

I should ring and ask whether it is OK to use that one, or whether you need a new one in view of the time that has elapsed since you received it! They might prefer to just send you another to be on the safe side.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2015, 07:23:07 PM »

YEP - if you don't use it the Lab won't accept after a certain while, DH had a reminding letter today  ;)

Melbury

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 08:15:26 PM »

I checked the kit and it is dated until November 2016, so will do it soon :)

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 09:08:05 PM »

DH sent his sample off on Monday  ;)

Taz2

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 08:06:07 AM »

We do still have to remember though that only half of bowel cancers are detected through the screening programme so we still need to be aware of any changes in bowel habit or unexplained pain etc. My GP is quick to hammer this message home as she feels we can become complacent if we've sent in the test and may just disregard important signs.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 04:00:13 PM »

I believe that any change in bowel habits that continue after 7-10 days should be discussed with the GP.  As the British are reticent about discussing pooh and all things south [unless they own a dog  ;) ] it is important to be bowel aware  ;)

ariadne

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2015, 08:03:14 PM »

Taz, thats why Im interested in the new M2PK test as it doesnt only detect bleeding tumours. The below is from the Schebo Biotech website.

The  currently most commonly used test for bowel cancer screening is the Faecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT). As it simply recognises blood in the stool the test is non-specific for colorectal cancer. In addition, only bleeding colorectal tumors - if any - are recognised. The largest study conducted so far on this subject is the American Veterans Association study in which a total of 2885 participants underwent total colonoscopy. The result was that only 23,9% of those participants with advanced neoplasia had a positive faecal occult blood test.

The M2 PK Test is a totally new approach for bowel cancer screening tests. Previously, only non-specific tests for blood in the stool could be used to give an indication of an existing bowel cancer or its precursors. With the new ELISA method for Tumor M2-PK in the stool it′s now possible to detect bleeding or non-bleeding bowel cancers, as well as polyps, with high sensitivity and specificity. The test is more accurate because it is not dependent on occult blood.

The main advantages of the M2-PK Stool Test are:
High sensitivity
High specificity
Not dependent on occult blood
Detects bleeding or non-bleeding bowel polyps, especially >1cm
Detects bleeding or non-bleeding bowel tumours
Not affected by specific foods
No special diet required
No false results from haemorrhoids or other sources of blood in the bowel
A single pea-sized sample is sufficient

Ariadne xx

honeybun

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2015, 08:20:42 PM »

Hopefully the tests we do will be updated to that.

It seems much more inclusive.

Guess it will come down to cost though  :-\

Honeyb
X

Taz2

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2015, 09:04:50 PM »

Thanks for that Ariadne. That does seem a much better test.

Taz x
Pages: 1 [2]