Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Poo Test  (Read 7267 times)

Cassie

Poo Test
« on: February 20, 2015, 02:58:52 PM »

Excuse the title...for those that have had the test where you place a stool scraping on the strip, just wondering do they send one enough for a few days or is it just a once off test over one day....my GP at one stage mentioned that one could do this in the interim before having a colonoscopy I guess this would not be that accurate as one would need to have fairly advanced colon problems to be causing blood loss or am I wrong?

Taz2

Re: Poo Test
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 03:07:22 PM »

You have to collect three different samples Cassie from different bowel movements. It's easy to use. Bowel tumours and polyps can give off teeny amounts of blood even when they are very small which is what the test is designed to detect. Of course, if the tumour isn't bleeding at the time of the test then you may get a false negative. There is info here. http://www.cancerscreening.nhs.uk/bowel/index.html

Taz x

Hattie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 03:13:11 PM »

On the test kit sent to me there were two 'strips' for samples for each day. Each sample was to be taken from a different part of your poo with a stick that is provided in the kit.

There were 6 strips in all so covering 3 separate days - these did not have to be consecutive days but the sampling had to be done and sent off in a certain number of days - i can't recall over how many days (i think it might have been 14 but don't quote me on that).

You then post it off to the test lab in the envelope provided.

I don't know anything about the accuracy of this test.

Hattie X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 03:38:58 PM »

I had no problems with doing the kit …….. would prefer cleaning litter trays though  ::)

As Taz explained ………. if not give the Company a ring on Monday?  Once the test pack is open it has to be 'done' …...

Joyce

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »

2 strips for each of 3 days.

As for accuracy, my brother was found to have precancerous polyps with his first test & gets checked every year now.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 04:16:36 PM »

Three boxes, three test strips. Once you start you have to complete within a week I think.

Maybe different health areas use different test kits but they all test for the same thing.

Can I get hubby to do it....can I heck  ::). Drives me nuts to be honest.

Honeyb
X

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 04:19:16 PM »

Mine won't do it either, finds it repulsive. To which I say think of the poor sods who have to test them!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:39:07 PM »

;D .. they must get through a lot of plastic gloves each week  ;)

DH has a kit sitting around somewhere  ::)

Joyce

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 05:15:20 PM »

And clothes pegs.  ;D ;D ;D

What a job!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:17:26 PM »

I think the samples are opened behind glass like a baby incubator …….. boring I would think  ::)

ariadne

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »

Hubby and I have both done the test. I was really surprised he did it because hes very squeamish about almost everything to do with health.

Does anyone know how you get one of the M2 PK tests?  I want hubby to have one as I think there are things going on that he doesnt tell me and there is bowel cancer in his family on both sides.

Ariadne xx

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »

We get them free every 2 years once we reach 60 - have a word with a Pharmacist perhaps?

ariadne

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:16:54 PM »

No not that one, we've done that one. The M2 PK test can detect non bleeding tumours :)

Ariadne xx

honeybun

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 09:18:37 PM »

I think if you call your surgery they will point you in the right direction.

Hope everything is ok for your hubby. Mine is just remarkably stubborn.....ok it's not the most pleasant things to do but it takes minutes.

Honeyb
X

Jenna

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 09:28:23 PM »

If you do an internet search, you will find a lab offering the test.

Hope this helps!
Pages: [1] 2