Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hi I'm new and could do with advice!  (Read 2894 times)

chelseagirl62

Hi I'm new and could do with advice!
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »

Hi all
I hope someone can help me with my menopause questions.. I am 52 ,had a full hysterectomy at 42 and have been taking Climaval continuously for the last 10 years. The last few months I have been having night sweats and struggling with my weight and am confused as to why I am having menopause symptoms when on HRT! Can anyone shed any light on this please? :-\

lifelover

Re: Hi I'm new and could do with advice!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 08:49:33 AM »

Hi Chelsea girl,

I'm new too (just posted today).  From what I know, HRT only alleviates some of the effects of the menopause.  I'm sure there are others here who will eventually reply to you but I wanted to say hi and share what I do know.

Yeah, I struggle with my weight too - and I used to be so trim - I am unhappy that I don't look as young as I feel but I'm trying to just accept it.

Hang in there.

chelseagirl62

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:56:03 AM »

Hi lifelover
 thanks for replying  to my post -its so nice to know you are not the only one going thru this! was disheartened last night at Slimming club when my weight stayed the same for the 3rd week as I have been to gym 5 times this week! Im hoping this forum may give me some ideas!  ;)

Millykin

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:15:09 AM »

Hi Chelseagirl
Sorry I can't help but just wanted to welcome you. Someone will be along who will be able to give you some information
X

chelseagirl62

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:01 AM »

Hi Millykin
Thanks for reply-I can see this forum becoming a lifeline ! x :D

Millykin

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 09:32:24 AM »

;D
It was for me when times were desperate, get a good laugh too! X

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 12:33:12 PM »

Hi chelseagirl62

:welcomemm:

Thanks for your post. What dose of Climaval have you been on, and when you say total hysterectomy - do you mean including ovaries or do you mean uterus and cervix?

If you kept your ovaries then your own hormones will have continued to fluctuate as they would had you not had the hysterectomy, and you would go through menopause semi-naturally - although without periods it's difficult to tell except from symptoms.

The fact that you took HRT from the start implies to me that you had already started to experience menopausal symptoms or that you had your ovaries removed as well?

If you kept your ovaries then it sounds like your own oestrogen levels are now decreasing so that you are experiencing symptoms again - it's all down to dosage, so it could be that an increased dose would help you. If you are already on the maximum (2 mg) then a change of product might help eg to patch or gel which gives a more consistent dose. Some women have problems with absorption of tablet HRT and maybe your system is changing over the years so that less is getting through? Any of these might be possible.

As for weight - well if you are now going through menopause our metabolism changes as we get to this stage and therefore we need to eat less and exercise more just to stay the same weight. I am 61 ( been on HRT for 8 years) and eat infinitely less than I used to, and exercise far more than I did a few years ago - and my weight stays the same even though I could do with losing half a stone! There's some information here on weight gain, diet, exercise etc:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

I hope this helps and do ask again if there is anything else you need help with. :)

Hurdity x

chelseagirl62

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 04:27:37 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Many thanks for such great information ! I had my ovaries removed as well as everything else.I am on 1mg Climaval so maybe I need to increase to 2mg-I hadn't considered the fact that my body is changing :( Thanks for the links  on diet and weight as well -I will definitely check them out.

Chelseagirl x

chelseagirl62

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »

Hi again

Has anyone tried Serenity cream? looks too good to be true! :-\ x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »

Oo-er chelsea girl - it is! Don't go there - you don't need it. It's very weak progesterone cream. You've had a hysterectomy so (as far as we know) you don't need extra progesterone (you still have a small amount as we all do post-menopausally, as do men). Don't be persuaded by the hype - it's a marketing ploy!!!

Have you thought since last posting, about increasing your oestrogen dose or changing to a patch?

Hurdity x