Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Cost of Living  (Read 12368 times)

honeybun

Re: The Cost of Living
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2015, 09:53:55 PM »

You should have tried the very far north of Scotland 30 years ago....nothing happened on a Sunday...not even a hot meal.  ::)

It's changed a bit now but the further north you go the more Presbyterian it gets.

Honeyb
X

bramble

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2015, 10:08:05 PM »

HB, I was brought up in the north of Scotland so know all about it! When I moved to England it was the late eighties and I was living in the central belt by then so it was quite civilised for Sunday shopping. I did not realise that England was shut on a Sunday apart from the pubs. One of the first of many cultural shocks for me .....................but I survived and came back home eventually.
B.

Joyce

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2015, 10:52:06 PM »

Those were the days, we all coped fine. Although don't remember post offices being open on a Sunday. I used to work in local shop as a teenager, which had a sub PO, he never opened the PO on a Sunday, but shop was open until 1pm. Of course that was early 70s near Glasgow.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »

Those were the days.  When C.mas and New Year were short holidays, we bought as required until shops opened again!  No fridges.  Milk etc. stood on the marble slap or tiles on the floor in the pantry …….

I'd like to see Sundays being free for all again, also Bank Holidays: no supermarkets open. 

rosebud57

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 09:18:42 AM »

Postal service is pretty good in our neck of the woods.
Although the postage prices have gone up a lot they are now more in line with the rest of europe. 
When we lived in Germany the postage prices were huge compared to here.
Don't forget RM has now got competition from other companies and is now longer a monopoly, hence the price rises.
We don't really send that much by post so not that bothered.

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 03:27:59 PM »

As a complete meander: how much would you spend without asking your OH/DH?

rosebud57

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 04:08:07 PM »

I have never 'asked'. 

I usually 'confer' but he knows I buy what is needed, unless its books for which I have a terrible weakness.

honeybun

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 04:09:04 PM »

It really all depends. All big household stuff we decide together. Small stuff I do what I like and he never asks...never has done. I have bought big stuff though when he was working away from home a lot.....like a house, oh and a car  ;D

For birthdays and Christmas we generally ask for what we want, set a budget and stick to it.

Why do you ask CLKD?

Honeyb
X

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 04:27:36 PM »

I recently spent rather a lot of live meal worms for the birds and when my statement this morning arrived I got a Very Black Look from Himself  :-\ - however: he knows I'm buying them and he does spend on his hobbies and buying at auction/antique fairs.  I would usually go up to £100.00 without discussion ……… and he spends far more on his brother than I think he ought  :-\    >shrug< ……

My Mum had a card from Royal Mail on Friday - apparently a package that I had sent didn't have enough postage applied  >:( even though I had made sure that the package was weighed before being posted ……… it was 11p short!  ::) so the charge was £1.11 the quid being for 'handling'.

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 05:05:00 PM »

I'm generally in charge of the money so if I got a black look I would dump the lot on him and ask him if he could do any better.

If you don't comment on his expenditure then..... ::)

Difficult though

Honeyb
X

purplenanny

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 06:29:23 PM »

That happened to me last week CLKD...I was "allegedly" 10p under but I know my weights!
Mine was a birthday gift so a tad embarrassing

I also had a birthday card directed back to me (1week later) saying address incomplete.
My envelope clearly shows the house name and postcode
Very annoying!

>:(

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 07:04:46 PM »

It is annoying - but we both enjoy watching the birds.  Words will be said ……..  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 07:47:23 PM »

Sometimes I think of words that could be said.....then I think why bother....and do what suits me  ;D

He will probably have forgotten in a few days....so  ::)

Honeyb
X

Lindilou

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »

I bought some epsom salts.  In a fancy packet/box £9.99.  In a plastic zip bag £4.99, same weight.

CLKD

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2015, 04:05:05 PM »

Stores 'own make' ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3