Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Yikes, telegraph article says women who started meno early get flushes for longe  (Read 2640 times)

Dandelion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/11417975/Menopause-symptoms-like-hot-flushes-can-last-14-years.html
This study says that women who started meno symptoms early while still having periods, get flushes for longer.

BrightLight

The good news in that article is that they feel it's important to find new ways to alleviate these symptoms.  I know that for me, the flushing isn't just a hormonal thing, it's a mixture of all sorts of issues, stress, food, sleep.......I wonder if someone is going to find a magical way to switch the response off completely ;)  That would be great.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them

stress triggers hormones = hot flushes  :-\

Don't believe all your read?

Night_Owl

Yes, grim reading - I started early-ish, at 44 - still night sweating 8 years on - and that is with low dose HRT.

I have read that for some the symptoms can go on indefinitely - a certain degree of adjustment takes place however oestrogen deficiency doesn't get better, it marches on.

ugh!

rosebud57

I didn't have my last period until 56 1/2, and must have had symptoms for at least 10 years up until then.  That makes about 13 years so far.  Symptoms are not nearly as bad as they used to be but every now and again they sneak up on me.

I'm definitely coming back as a man!!!!

Machair

Bad news for me then as I have had night sweats for many years and am still having periods although they are less frequent now that I am almost 55. Rosebud you give me hope that I am normal- 56 1/2 for your last period makes me feel less unusual! Did they end gradually with large gaps between?

rosebud57

Yes, pretty much.  They just seemed to get lighter and lighter, also very irregular.

My sister was 58 when she had her last one.