Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Article in the Guardian  (Read 4626 times)

Dancinggirl

Article in the Guardian
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:45:31 PM »

Interesting article about how long women suffer with menopausal symptoms:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/18/menopause-symptoms-12-years

DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Article in the Guardian
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:51:04 PM »

:thankyou:

Morwenna

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »

Do read the comments section following the article everyone - there are some very valid (and eye opening) contributions, particularly from 'older' ladies.

honorsmum

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 10:43:07 AM »

The comments are as interesting as the article.

thorntrees

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 11:14:20 AM »

There was a similar article in the DM a few days ago that mentioned 14 years, not a pleasant thought!. I was interested in one of the comments from a person who had had chemotherapy for Hodgkin's Lymphoma and went on to have sudden onset of menopause symptoms. I had nine months of chemo for this disease which coincided with my just being 12 months post menopause. I have always been convinced that this was the reason I had and still have,  8 years on,  flushes ,anxiety etc as the hormones dropped suddenly instead of gradually but my GP will not accept that the chemo played any part in these symptoms- I guess I will never know for sure but just keep hoping it will all go away eventually

Thorntrees

honorsmum

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 11:19:24 AM »

Excuse the language, but I think the commentator who described menopause as "a sh*t storm" hit the nail on the head!

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 04:12:25 PM »

I think this article raises some important questions and I was pleased that it highlighted a need for longer treatment o f symptoms.  So often women are dismissed as simply anxious or depressed - it is not in our heads and we not making fuss about nothing.  This whole idea that our mothers had to put with it so we should do the same is such a nonsense - we live in different times, many of us looking after mothers who may have dreadful osteoporosis and heart conditions and we now have to work till we're in our late 60s. :bang:
I thought the ethnic differences were interesting as well.  It has been thought that is was the Japanese diet that meant their women didn't suffer symptoms too badly but I assume in America, where this study was done, many women of different ethnicities might well be having a similar American style diet. I certainly have a diet high in phytoestrogens and I did try using Red Clover but it didn't seem to help.
I do hope the drugs companies are really looking into safer and more effective ways to help us all - I think there is big money to be made out of finding better treatment.
DG x

Dulciana

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 07:40:02 PM »

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't be taking Menopace..........

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 07:46:37 PM »

Does it affect you ? have a look at the ingredients?

Dulciana

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »

Not sure, CLKD.  I've just had a look at the ingredients.  They don't specify estrogens but it does say the ingredients replace things that the hormones used to supply.   

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2015, 08:10:02 PM »

Such as?  I've never read the packet  ::)

Dulciana

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »

Soya isoflavones, CLKD.
D.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »

I think Soya isoflavines are phytoestrogenic - so are meant to have an oestrogen effect.  There has been a great deal of research about this but much of it seems to be inconclusive.  There seems to be something about the way your body processes these phytoestrogens as to whether they will be effective and this can vary from person to person.  I believe there is some benefit for the heart but whether increasing your intake of phytoestrogens can reduce flushes etc is still in question as far as I know.  I do take Menopace and I tried Red Clover, which is a good source of Phytoestrogens, when I wasn't on HRT but I didn't notice any benefit.  I do think that taking Menopace everyday has improved my general health as it is a good all round multivitamin. Of course one can probably pick up a good all-round vitamin supplement very cheaply at any chemist, health store or Supermarket - there are many tailored for menopausal women.   DG x

BrightLight

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »

Seeing as I am spending more time on NHS websites just lately I discovered they make comment on newspaper articles - here is there response to this study.  I am also interested in further research going into this area.

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2015/02February/Pages/Menopausal-symptoms-last-longer-than-previously-thought.aspx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2015, 09:38:54 AM »

Thanks Brightlight - this put the articles into perspective and of course like all studies it had it's limitations.
The simple fact that every women will experience the meno differently makes treatment all the more challenging.
DG x
Pages: [1] 2