Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Pelvic floor repair and VA  (Read 4217 times)

wornoutmum

Pelvic floor repair and VA
« on: February 01, 2015, 05:22:21 PM »

Just wondering if any of you lovely ladies have experienced my dilemma...
I had anterior and posterior pelvic floor repair in 2005 at the age of 46, it took months post repair to feel comfortable with SI then a year later my partner and I split up. I steered clear of relationships to focus on my young sons. Last year I had sex again for the first time since 2007. I was very tight, which I wasn't surprised at but full penetration could not be achieved which I was shocked at, seems my vagina has shrunk due to lack of use with the repair and of course my age! (55) I have since seen a gynaecologist who prescribed steroid ointment for sore vulva with success but this doesn't help my sore vagina - there is no lack of moisture. When I was on HRT or vaginal oestrogens I became incredibly sore and stopped over a year ago. The soreness now comes and goes, I use eco, non bio detergents, steroid ointment for vulva alternate days and emulsifying ointment, a pelvic scan was clear and I am seeing the gynaecologist again soon but she thinks its vestibulitis which I am not so sure about as I can still ride a bike!
What has happened to me? I would love a sexual relationship but seems I have shrunk! I feel a freak and wish I has been warned of this post repair

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Pelvic floor repair and VA
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 05:27:06 PM »

Oh that does sound painful! how about using a dilator?

Hattie

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 05:50:53 PM »

The Vulva Pain Society website has a lot of information that my help you -also advice for selfcare -(left hand column).

I have a vulva problem and now wash cotton pants in water only - your detergent may even be causing you a problem. Bedding and towels i use minimal non -bio.

I haven't had a repair - i would be wary of using a dilator if you are sore already.

Hattie X

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »

Dilators may be the way forward for the shrinkage problem wornoutmum. I had a hyster and repair in July and it was explained to me then that the vagina would be much shorter and that I would need to use dilators (or have a good sex life within a couple of months!) in order for the vagina to remain elastic.

As for the soreness - I too have been really sore since the operation which is something which the gynae consultant isn't really interested in. He can see no reason why this has happened but it developed when I came off HRT for a year. Now that I am back on it (half dose) the discomfort is less. As with you there is no lack of lubrication - just really sore outer skin.

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 09:22:26 PM »

Urine can be acid which will cause soreness ……..

DH whispers if I ever complain about uncomfy pants 'take them off'  ::)

Hattie

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 10:32:41 AM »

Wornoutmum

You will need an understanding partner with all this - my husband is such a one.

Hattie X

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 10:56:08 AM »

Hi wornoutmum - sorry to hear about your problems. I have to say that even without the surgery you have had, at age 55 lack of oestrogen will certainly worsen the problem. As well as the other physical methods that have been suggested, is there a way you can start to try vaginal oestrogen again as it really will help to strengthen these fragile tissues? Which vaginal oestrogens did you use? There are several to choose from so possibly try a different one?

Taz - sorry you are still sore - are you using vaginal oestrogen as well as low dose HRT? Can you ask for estriol cream - used to be Gynest now it doesn't have a brand but is a generic cream 0.01 % - not Ovestin which is 0.1% and stronger. I am not exactly sure where the oestrogen receptors begin to thin out from the vagina to the outer area, but if you rubbed this on external areas and around the entrance on a regular basis this might help if you can persuade your doc to give you some....I've done this in the past.

Hurdity x

scriv

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 05:36:16 PM »

Could you try vaginal oestrogen again - maybe a different preparation to the one which made you sore? I switched to Vagifem when Ovestin made me very sore.

The moisture you mention could be a clear runny moisture which can indicate dryness and lack of oestrogen.

Just my thoughts. I also had repair ops in 2004 and 2006, so I do understand what you are going through.

wornoutmum

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »

Thank you for all your fabulous responses - I agree that I may (will!) need some dilators to stretch things out again, my vagina is quite sore and I cannot tolerate too much examination these days, such a pity I wasn't warned this shrinkage could happen post repair (due to repair, lack of use and lack of oestrogen). Ending my relationship at that time meant not having to worry too much about SI!

I'm seeing the gynaecologist again next week, she seems quite keen to restart HRT but I wonder if I need a lower dose of topical vaginal oestrogens - I have used ovestin a few years ago which made me sore eventually and last year, vagifem which did the same after a few weeks. The HRT tablets I used were Femosten and then Prempak when vulva very sore. I don't have any incontinence at all but its now just the vagina that is sore and I wonder with some gentle easing and stretching whether it might help in some way?

Jenna

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »

Hi wornoutmum,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Estriol cream not as strong as Ovestin - maybe that might suit you better.

Please also have a look at the 'Yes' website http://www.yesyesyes.org/yestimonials where you can see that many women in a similar situation have had great success with their products. The water-based vaginal moisturiser is available on the NHS. (It is the only one I can tolerate for vaginal atrophy on the days I do not use the Estriol cream.)

Hope this might help!

Jenna x

wornoutmum

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »

Hi

Just as an update, had a chat with gynaecologist - she recommended Yes (and having now tried it, it stops the dryness and subsequent vulval itch!), I am to have some dilators to stretch things out/up again following no sex for a few years and the ant and post repair contributed to some atrophy, plus recommended recommencing a very low dose HRT. I seems I am sensitive to too much oestrogen so patches would be better and I could half the dose by cutting them in half. This would aim to stop the atrophy, thinning etc and who knows, stop my joints from stiffening!

Still taking plenty of omegas and vitamin B complex to keep all the other home fires burning bright!
Watch this space ;)