Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: phytooestrogens in ground linseed  (Read 2578 times)

oldsheep

phytooestrogens in ground linseed
« on: July 19, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »

For a few years now, I've had to take 2 tblsps ground linseed daily for IBS constipation (it works a charm). I was chatting to someone the other day who told me it's very high in phyto-oestrogens.
I've had to cut my Evorel from 75 to 50 patches recently due to supposed oestrogen spikes making me feel unwell and hugely swollen boobs etc. As I'm obviously getting older, I was surprised I needed a lower dose!

Just wondering if the linseed could be causing breast and lymph tenderness, or if it's a red herring? Does anyone know if it really is high in phyto-oestrogens? I know it's good for good cholesterol, which is also important to me. thanks.

Taz2

Re: phytooestrogens in ground linseed
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 11:54:17 AM »

Linseed or Flaxseed as it's also called is high in phyto-oestrogens oldsheep. I've found this although there is loads on the internet under the name Flaxseed rather Linseed https://www.naturalhealthadvisory.com/daily/natural-health-101/the-controversial-flax-seed-benefits-your-health-or-not-part-3-of-3/  It does seem to say that taking HRT and Flaxseed might not be advisable. It's mentioned again here http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/herb-interaction/possible-interactions-with-flaxseed

Taz x

Sunnydays

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 03:06:35 PM »

Thanks for bringing this up and the links. I've been taking a spoon of cracked golden linseed with my porridge everyday for about the last 15 years. Because of the omega 3 I took it for my skin - prone to eczema. I had no idea about the phytoestrogens aspect. I've only just started low dose hrt so maybe you have to be careful if you are already on hrt and start taking the linseed.
I've just read part 1 and 2 of the first article link and it details the positives of linseed, with part 3 warning if you have a history of various cancers - I think the use of phytoestrogens always carry a warning if there is a history of cancer.
I found a couple of websites promoting linseed for the meno and it even refers to reducing risk of some cancers. I haven't posted them as they are commercial sights.
Thanks again for this thread old sheep, I'm wondering if my golden linseed has been an unknown benefit to me in terms of the meno. I think I'll up my I take a bit!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 03:29:59 PM »

Linseed is 'flax' - I grow it in my garden and there are fields of pale blue across Northants.  'golden' flax  :-\ …… it grows in deep pink and blue as a plant.

Probably grown in the UK for linseed oil for cricket bats  ;)

oldsheep

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 06:49:04 PM »

thanks!  I didn't know it and flaxseed were the same.  The first site (natural health) is rather alarmist - I am taking it on the advice of a gastro-enterologist though. I have to take it as otherwise am in gut pain all the time (that and the low FODmap diet, an annoyingly restrictive one) so I'll have to just keep an eye on things. I'll mention it at my November meno clinic appointment too, but will probably get some blank looks.
I suppose it's no bad thing to take a lower patch dose anyhow as at some point they're going to start trying to wean me off HRT.
I'll not take my supplements straight afterwards though, which I have been doing.

Funny though, it had no effect at all on helping my meno symptoms before I started HRT.

Sunnydays - if you don't grind it, you won't absorb it apparently. It's not possible other than in a coffee grinder as the seeds are so hard.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »

I gave up with it as well as pumpkin seeds  ;D

I did begin to buy a bread from the supermarket which had both in and was quite palatable but didn't last many days.

As an aside: My Dad was responsible for a book being written about the flax factory at Sandringham House …..