Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Losing pets  (Read 11396 times)

Briony

Losing pets
« on: February 14, 2015, 10:25:49 AM »

I lost my beloved 12 year old cat this week. He was so special, a rescue cat who was my best friend.  I adored him. It didn't help that it was my birthday too (and most people, unaware, sent cards with cats on). I just feel so lost and empty - I keep getting angry with people too. Friends and colleagues were sympathetic for a day, but now it's business as usual . Does the pain ever go? I know he was only an animal, but with no children and a partner who works away, he was so precious    :'( xx

honorsmum

Re: Losing pets
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 10:44:57 AM »

Oh,Briony, I'm so sorry. :'(

I have 3 cats, 2 dogs and chickens.
We have lost 6 cats in total (including my childhood cats) and one dog, and I have felt the same over every one of them.
We have a 14 year old cat that we had from 8 weeks as an orphan kitten - he was hand reared, so thinks he is human. He follows us everywhere, doesn't really go out except to toilet, sits on the side if the bath when I'm in it, sleeps under the covers with me in bed, drinks water from a glass etc.
I dread to think how much we'll miss him when the time comes - he's a one-off and will leave a huge hole.

It's ok to feel grief when a treasured pet dies. It's a loss like any other, and shows how much that animal meant to you. Don't try to change how you feel - it will pass in time.xxx

Maryjane

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 10:48:58 AM »

I have lost many pets ( members of the family to me) as well, 3 cats , 5 horses, 2 x rabbits , guniea pigs the list goes on and I promise the tears will turn to smiles in time. I have my beloved westie who is twelve this year and when it is time for him to go to doggy heaven belive me I will be a wreck.xxx

Dyan

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 10:56:34 AM »

Hi Briony,
So sorry to hear about your cat :hug:
I can totally understand how you're feeling. I lost my dog in June last year and I still miss her even now.
The pain is very raw to start with but,go with it and it will get easier,as I have found.
They are not just animals they are part of the family and the grieving is the same as if you lost a human loved one. X

Dulciana

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 11:24:53 AM »

:hug: Briony.  We lost our cat nearly a year ago, after 16 years, and you're quite right that it leaves a "hole" when they've gone.   Thinking of you.

Millykin

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 11:37:39 AM »

Oh Briony so sorry :hug:
It's really hard. I lost my dog 14 yrs ago and was a wreck, sitting in a corner rocking, still so hard I miss her. A few months later my ex SIL got a little white kitten and decided after a few weeks she didn't want it and put it out in the streets! Her neighbour called me and I went straight over and took him, after causing a scene at her door but who cares how could she :'(
I love him to bits and he's now 13 and I just dread the day I have to let him go. I will never get another pet again because of how destroyed I feel at loosing them.
You just have to grieve you lost part of your family, whom you loved very much and I'm pretty sure he loved you very much, you gave him a good home and life.
Take care x
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 01:10:32 PM by Millykin »

vianne

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »

So sorry to hear your sad news, Briony  :hug:    We've lost several cats over the years, its heartbreaking, I could still cry at any given moment for any of them. Take all the time you need to grieve, as others have said, pets are like members of the family, it can be very painful when they leave us. Take comfort with the thought that he had a lovely life with you for 12 years and was probably so happy to be so well looked after and loved.

Vianne x

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 01:38:27 PM »

I do understand and thought this might help just a little

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Always makes me cry but is incredibly comforting.

Honeyb
X

Author unknown...

Millykin

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2015, 02:01:46 PM »

:'( :'( :'( :'(
I am uncontrollable, that is absolutely beautiful. X

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2015, 02:12:19 PM »

Oh I'm sorry Milly. I didn't want to upset anyone   :-\

Honeyb
X

Millykin

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2015, 02:21:32 PM »

Oh no HB not in a bad way, hormones.  ;D please don't feel you have upset me it is the most beautiful thing I have read in a long time. So much so...
I'm going to have to steal it, I want to copy and paste it, put a little rainbow bridge in and print it. Frame it. I just love it, although it makes me cry but a good release.
I've heard you ladies talking of rainbow bridge and now I've read it. Thank you x

Briony I think you will appreciate it too x

Tabbycat

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »

Briony, I'm so sorry. I can only echo what everyone else has said. It hurts and it takes time to heal, let yourself grieve and don't try and move on too soon. People who don't have pets don't really understand how hard the loss is and that it takes longer than a day to come to terms with it.

Blue Cross has a pet bereavement service: http://www.bluecross.org.uk/2083/pet-bereavement-support-service.html. I've never used - it didn't exist when my last cat died 14 years ago but I would have tried it if it had (I did read a really good book on the subject at the time and it helped a lot).

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2015, 06:25:54 PM »

"If it should be ……  ………. "

It will be 13 years on 24th that my dog was pts and I ache. A day before our anniversary not that I realised until the following week.  Not all the while but most days my stomach lurches with sorrow.  I had to part with 3 cats and a dog over 22 months due to age and illness.  I was absolutely worn out by the end of it.

Each parting leaves a gap, why wouldn't it, they are part of our daily routine - feeding, cleaning, cuddles etc..

It is absolutely OK to grieve!

Hurdity

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 07:50:11 PM »

Sorry to hear about your dear pusscat Briony - I am a cat lover too and I think my husband even more so! We have had and lost quite a few over the years - but it always makes me sad.

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 11:04:16 PM »

Thank you to each and every one of you for such kind, compassionate words. You have made me cry a lot - but happy tears! It has been so hard putting on a brave face all week, with no one around me who understands. I am so grateful to you all. I shall fall asleep tonight thinking of the Rainbow Bridge xxxx
Pages: [1] 2 3